Toyota Land cruiser

The Heron

Do it , the LC will give you far more reliable service and spend most of its time with you and not the dealer.

If you are going for the 120 series avoid the LC5spec which has adjustable rear suspension.

Edited by TR1

Well I am not about to dispose of my TRUSTY Landie, but on a few days each year I have been chauffered about on shoots in a Merc 4x4 which astoundingly only cost around £3000 second hand.  It is comfortable and will go most places a 'posh' 4x4 would but maybe not where my Landie would.  Toyota are a good motor so I see no reason not to change if that is your wish.  I never rated the 110s as you needed a full size car park to turn the darn things around whereas the 90 turns on a sixpence.

Go for it, even if you have to spend a few bob on general maintence it will be much less than lashing out 30-40 grand or more on a new Chelsea Tractor.

Edited by Walker570

I have owned many landys but the 90 had to go as I travel 120 mile round trip most weekends my hip and back could not take the punishment dished out by the landy. So bought a hilux for comfort and a little bit better economy on fuel. Please note this is no reflexion on the landy's reliability as I always think servicing and general maintenance of any vehicle will keep it on the road.

I had a 110 from new for about ten years and nearly 130,000 miles. (2A before that). O.K. but there was always something.....

I changed to a 4.2 LC80 ("Amazon" etc.) several years old with a full service history, and still have it after more than eighteen years. Goes wherever I want and pulls anything, while being quite quick and civilised for overnight runs to and from the Highlands. I want it to last forever.

A good LC will not be cheap to buy or run but is a great vehicle. Unfortunately, like old E class Mercs folk think they will go on indefinitely with minimum attention so you must shop carefully. Parts will not be cheap and you will not find "pattern" alternatives. The older ones were badged Lexus in the USA which tells you something. A Hilux is an excellent truck but on a different bloodline to the LCs which run back to the mighty LC70 and before. The LC70 is still in production of course for the wilder corners of the world.

Mate bought one after his FL1 and sold it soon after as simply too heavy on the ground. Went back to a FL2. We use them in Africa and they are simply amazing. 8 guys on board and a 450Kg Kudo and driving up a river bed. Chasing zebra at speed across rough ground at well over 50mph. 

Whats the tax £500+? 

I've had my LC120 3.0 D4D for almost 16 years.

Done everything from ferrying kids about, Xmas runs loaded to the gunnels and been my shoot wagon.

Now at 147k and the engine is purring , the interior shows very little signs of wear and I trust it enough to drive anywhere.

There were some issues with the injectors on early models and they do rust underneath. I gave mine a good spray with Lanoguard this year and I wish I'd done it earlier.

Mechanically its been fantastic but there is some rust on the inner wings and rear bumper mounts so be prepared for a good crawl under any potential cars.

More refined than a 110 by far.

f.