Squirrel feeder finally giving some results.

Good shot?

Good clean kills 👍 Were you shooting FMJ? Very little expansion compared to when I’ve shot squirrels with HMR ballistic tips. I trust you had a decent backstop for the one in the branches, it is not a shot I can take due to the size of my permissions and proximity of lanes/footpaths/cottages etc. 

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Any chance of a picture of your feeder? They looked to be struggling to get the feed, which will obviously slow them down.

I have a pic somewhere, but it is simply plastic soil  drain pipe with a cap (cut from a plastic bleach bottle from Morrisons which happens to be right size) and galvanised 1/4” mesh dome at the base, with the intention of keeping them on the feeder  longer and it has worked well once they start using the feeder. It does need upgrading to stainless mesh because they are very determined to create easier access to the peanuts within but it does also feed blue tits, nuthatch, woodpeckers, jays etc.

My next one will incorporate a steel box with a hinged lid at the base to try, like your contemporary feeders but the plastic drain pipe is very tough so I will continue using it as opposed to a wooden construction.

Edited by Good shot?

19 hours ago, Good shot? said:

I have a pic somewhere, but it is simply plastic soil  drain pipe with a cap (cut from a plastic bleach bottle from Morrisons which happens to be right size) and galvanised 1/4” mesh dome at the base, with the intention of keeping them on the feeder  longer and it has worked well once they start using the feeder. It does need upgrading to stainless mesh because they are very determined to create easier access to the peanuts within but it does also feed blue tits, nuthatch, woodpeckers, jays etc.

My next one will incorporate a steel box with a hinged lid at the base to try, like your contemporary feeders but the plastic drain pipe is very tough so I will continue using it as opposed to a wooden construction.

I've got dome 6 inch pipe sat in the garden, problem is it's bright yellow,  so I'll be boxing it in just to keep it out of sight, when I get around to it 🙄

Put one together (in a fashion) and will give it a try once mounting bracket sorted and a lick of paint.

Only a short piece of 110mm o/d soil pipe re storage but will see how it goes. But should only be feeding the Squirrels with this one and it is only a max of four days between top ups.

I used a double galvanised back box and a piece of light metal from a biscuit box and hope the glued hinge lasts for a decent trial.👍

IMG_0775[1].JPG

IMG_0773[1].JPG

Edited by Good shot?

From experience you may need to protect the corners of the base some how as they can be very determined on corners they can gnaw on. 

Rain may also run down into the trough.

I have smaller versions of your idea using down pipe and have had to armour them up. The next ones will be from round pipe not square. 😃

Edited by old man

Thanks om, I will have holes in the bottom of the trough for drainage and it has a false bottom in the pipe with nothing above it.

I have put a slanting second base in the pipe above the box to direct nuts into the box which is also slanting, hopefully when they do chew on the corner there will be no benefit.

I do acknowledge your suggestions though and have some netting or plastering corner trim to reinforce the base edges if needed and have already screwed the hinge instead of glue.

Edited by Good shot?

17 hours ago, Good shot? said:

Thanks om, I will have holes in the bottom of the trough for drainage and it has a false bottom in the pipe with nothing above it.

I have put a slanting second base in the pipe above the box to direct nuts into the box which is also slanting, hopefully when they do chew on the corner there will be no benefit.

I do acknowledge your suggestions though and have some netting or plastering corner trim to reinforce the base edges if needed and have already screwed the hinge instead of glue.

All good fun in the learning curve. Very destructive and persistent things to marvel at.