Smoke and fire alarms

Dave at kelton

I bought a few Fire Angel devices and installed them.  Seem to work well, so I also bought some for my mother's house and installed them there too.  If you add in the "gateway" then the system can send alerts and status updates to your mobile via an app. So I can now see the status of my devices, and change a selection to see the status of the devices at mum's place.  Only had them up a few months so can't comment on the longer term, but they claim to be able to last for up to 10 years. I think the only option after that is to bin and replace. Anyway, I'm happy so far.  Got mine from Amazon when I spotted they were on special offer.

3 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

In what properties?

All homes - Fire and smoke alarms: changes to the law - gov.scot (www.gov.scot)

In my last two houses the FireAngel devices failed after just two years. They come with great reviews and recommended by our local Fire & Rescue Service but I’ve had to drown five of them now so will not use that brand again. I use these in bedrooms etc in addition to the wired smoke alarms to LD2. 

17 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

In my last two houses the FireAngel devices failed after just two years. They come with great reviews and recommended by our local Fire & Rescue Service but I’ve had to drown five of them now so will not use that brand again. I use these in bedrooms etc in addition to the wired smoke alarms to LD2. 

The ones I bought have a 5-year manufacturer's warranty so maybe different devices / models - there seem to be quite a choice.

Just fitted an Aico last week. Chose this make over Fire Angel based on reviews on Screwfix. It seems Fire Angel can have some reliability issues.

I used mine to replace an old Fire Angel unit. It is hard wired and linked in to two other units. All are working together and I will be replacing the other two units with Aico in due course.

51 minutes ago, stumpy69 said:

They can be battery operated but must be a sealed battery which lasts the lifetime of the alarm (7 years).

Cheers for the clarification I remember reading something about them just before we left Scotland so I didn't pay full attention to the details, it was just interesting because of my former career

As an electrician, fire angel are considered ‘diy’ and not what I’d fit but I’m sure do the job. 
Aico are the brand you’ll see most widely fitted in the domestic sector by professionals.
They’ve recently brought out wireless interlinked units with built in 10 year lithium batteries, great as will all go off when one detects smoke/heat, which is the obvious downside to standalone battery units. 

They are expensive but obviously negates the need for the labour involved in running in cabling for mains powered interlinked units throughout the house, so perfect for the diy’er too!