Browning Prosport pitting to action

steve1066

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Is there similar corrosion on the barrel face?

No nothing at all, in perfect flat condition.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Looks like the barrel has been closed onto grit or unburnt powder as there are no marks where the cartridge sits.

It won’t be grit because the tolerances are so fine the gun wouldn’t close and it is outside the area for burnt powder.

42 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Ten year warranty on the action.

Yes running it back to Malmö on Monday to send off to Browning, they have already replaced the stock due to a crack!

1 hour ago, Charliedog said:

Have a 725 sporter (not prosport) with lots of rounds through it and no marks like that (looks new), never seen anything like that

My son also has a 725 and his is spotless and new looking.

Many years ago a friend bought a brand new Belgian Browning B2 after about 6 months use it started to show marks in a similar area.

Browning initially didn't want to know but took it back and leant him a comparable gun while they investigated the metal.

Dave was an agricultural engineer and was working for KHD Deutz at the time, he had the action Rockwell tested and the results were not very good.

I can only presume that someone dropped the ball or it was a "Friday" gun.

Good luck getting it sorted.

1 hour ago, steve1066 said:

Thanks Wymberley, I am aware of hydro cavitation but could you please explain cavitation where no water is involved?

Sadly, no. I have only had to contend with the phenomenon with high pressure hydraulic (oil) systems. However, as we have heat, pressure, the residue from rapid combustion and possibly water vapour all in the one area, I wouldn't be averse to gambling some of next month's pension on the possibility that the cause of the damage is in some way related to the phenomenon. For the non technical folk, Googling "hydraulic cavitation" should throw up a picture of the resultant damage it can cause.

Edited by wymberley

Funnily enough the whole face seems to be affected to a certain degree but mainly at the top.

I wonder if browning are starting to have quality control issues, because a friend who has a new 725 has just shown me his gun where the right-hand ejector has completely ejected itself from the gun. The ejector retaining pin has unscrewed itself allowing the whole thing to shoot out with the cartridge. Looking through the web this seems to be happening to quite a few of these guns

Browning Ejector Retaining Screw Part No. B1334114

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/browning-725-ejector-retaining-pin-screw-popped-off.846343/

Edited by Graham M

1 hour ago, Graham M said:

Funnily enough the whole face seems to be affected to a certain degree but mainly at the top.

I wonder if browning are starting to have quality control issues, because a friend who has a new 725 has just shown me his gun where the right-hand ejector has completely ejected itself from the gun. The ejector retaining pin has unscrewed itself allowing the whole thing to shoot out with the cartridge. Looking through the web this seems to be happening to quite a few of these guns

Browning Ejector Retaining Screw Part No. B1334114

https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/browning-725-ejector-retaining-pin-screw-popped-off.846343/

Hi Graham M

Maybe they are, I have had the stock replaced due to a split across the grip, so will be interested once Browning take a look in the next couple of weeks. I am not dismissing Wymberley,s cavitation as this could happen if the area was put under pressure from the cartridge ignition?..

The area is above the area where the rear of the cartridge would be, so it would seem to be away from any direct pressure. I have an old hammergun and have  nothing like that on my gun so why would this happen on a strong gun like a Browning???

Obviously when the forging is machined it removes a certain amount of metal and I'm wondering if they have made their tolerances too tight and weren't able to remove enough material without causing a problem with dimensions. Just seems to be a rough finish.

Edited by Graham M

27 minutes ago, Graham M said:

The area is above the area where the rear of the cartridge would be, so it would seem to be away from any direct pressure. I have an old hammergun and have  nothing like that on my gun so why would this happen on a strong gun like a Browning???

Obviously when the forging is machined it removes a certain amount of metal and I'm wondering if they have made their tolerances too tight and weren't able to remove enough material without causing a problem with dimensions. Just seems to be a rough finish.

Hi Graham M,

This pitting wasn’t on the gun when I purchased it new, this has appeared within the last 9 months or so, I have had the gun for about 3 years and have shot around 6000 cartridges, it seems to have puzzled everyone up till now.