Mephisto fishing rods

mel b3

Hiya guys.

I've come by some old fishing tackle . A few of the rods have the makers name " mephisto " and " mephisto special" . Does anyone know if mephisto is an actual Rod manufacturer(the rods are very well made) , or if they're just home build rods ?, I've had a mooch on Google but couldn't find any info.

Cheers guys.

20211111_190044.jpg

20211111_190037.jpg

20211111_190030.jpg

21 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

looks home made to me, Mephisto is a character in Marvel comics.

That's sort of what I was thinking . The rods just look too well made to be a home job.

I also got these old Mitchell reels for my growing reel collection 😊

20211111_180909.jpg

20211111_180851.jpg

20211111_180823.jpg

20211111_180736.jpg

20211111_180712.jpg

34 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

I have made a few rods myself, its not to hard, Nice reels :good: P.S. you been raking in the bins again?

It would be a very nice bin find 😊

11 minutes ago, ianspire said:

I know nothing about the rods, but loved Mitchell match reels 👍

I've always loved Mitchell reels as well , they , look , feel ,sound , great.

5 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

Mitchell match with the automatic bail arm, used to dream of having one of those, closest I got was a 300 😂

Two of the above reels are Mitchell match .  One is mitchel 400 , one is Mitchell 400A , and one is a Mitchell 300 . They're all in fantastic condition , and have about six spare spools as well .

I wish I had enough room to put a reel on each mephisto Rod,  and have them on display.

I'm not really sure what to do with it all .

My word!

There is a blast form the past, I had a Abu Garcia mitchell and caught many a tench and eel on that reel. I can almost feel the bail arm clicking now!

They certainly do look in great condition Mel. Take off the sideplate and grease them up, some new line and they will give a lifetime of service.

When I eventually buy my estate in Scotland you will be more than welcome to come and fish to your hearts content. 😁

atb

7diaw

6 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

My word!

There is a blast form the past, I had a Abu Garcia mitchell and caught many a tench and eel on that reel. I can almost feel the bail arm clicking now!

They certainly do look in great condition Mel. Take off the sideplate and grease them up, some new line and they will give a lifetime of service.

When I eventually buy my estate in Scotland you will be more than welcome to come and fish to your hearts content. 😁

atb

7diaw

Oh yes , that very distinctive bail arm click , and well engineered whir of a Mitchell. 

They appear to have been cleaned and serviced before they went into storage .  Even the line looks and feels like it was put onto the spools yesterday.

When I visit your estate , can I bring my old webley and scott fly Rod that I found in a dustbin please ?.

11 hours ago, mel b3 said:

That's sort of what I was thinking . The rods just look too well made to be a home job.

I also got these old Mitchell reels for my growing reel collection 😊

20211111_180909.jpg

20211111_180851.jpg

20211111_180823.jpg

20211111_180736.jpg

20211111_180712.jpg

Lovely old Mitchell's, I have several including the match plus lots of spare spools. Occasionally use them for nostalgia. 

The one I miss and mourn is a Mitchell match 840, which was stolen in 1994 from my garage during the night. Used regularly but kept in perfect condition. I inherited it from my grandad who bought it new. Unreplaceable.

As for your Mephisto, maybe, it's a guys nickname. When I used to repair rods I was often asked to either paint or lettraset someone's name on. Then doped and varnished they always become a talking point on the bank.

Old rods could often be improved just by a new set of carefully placed lined rings. Newer rods can't generally be improved and are not worth the financial outlay of new bits.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

Lovely old Mitchell's, I have several including the match plus lots of spare spools. Occasionally use them for nostalgia. 

The one I miss and mourn is a Mitchell match 840, which was stolen in 1994 from my garage during the night. Used regularly but kept in perfect condition. I inherited it from my grandad who bought it new. Unreplaceable.

As for your Mephisto, maybe, it's a guys nickname. When I used to repair rods I was often asked to either paint or lettraset someone's name on. Then doped and varnished they always become a talking point on the bank.

Old rods could often be improved just by a new set of carefully placed lined rings. Newer rods can't generally be improved and are not worth the financial outlay of new bits.

I was looking at the quality of the rods and rings . The rod in the picture must have been top quality in its day , and for an old fibreglass Rod, still feels very nice indeed .

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I was looking at the quality of the rods and rings . The rod in the picture must have been top quality in its day , and for an old fibreglass Rod, still feels very nice indeed .

Top quality fibre glass or built cane is still better than poor quality mass produced carbon blanks which are machine made in bulk to a price. Unfortunately hand made is now generally heavier and much more expensive. 

My grandad used to spend hours working on rods to order, usually made to fit and feel right in the hand of the person ordering. Whipping silk, dope, layers of varnish. Floats too made of balsa, quill, cork and occasionally lignam vitae.

A lost art now.

It's probably over 30 years since I last made a float or repaired a rod.

Other than replacing an odd ring the parts to repair or make seem to cost more than the finished mass produced stuff.

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Top quality fibre glass or built cane is still better than poor quality mass produced carbon blanks which are machine made in bulk to a price. Unfortunately hand made is now generally heavier and much more expensive. 

My grandad used to spend hours working on rods to order, usually made to fit and feel right in the hand of the person ordering. Whipping silk, dope, layers of varnish. Floats too made of balsa, quill, cork and occasionally lignam vitae.

A lost art now.

It's probably over 30 years since I last made a float or repaired a rod.

Other than replacing an odd ring the parts to repair or make seem to cost more than the finished mass produced stuff.

Funny that you should mention floats , because theirs quite a few home made floats in the tackle that I've just got . I've already got quite a collection of old floats , so they'll be added to the collection. 

I've already got quite a collection of old fishing gear , that I intend using at some point . I've even managed to get my hands on an old wicker fishing basket for the occasion. I reckon I'll get a cloth cap and a cardigan , and have myself a few days fishing 1960s style 😊.

31 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Funny that you should mention floats , because theirs quite a few home made floats in the tackle that I've just got . I've already got quite a collection of old floats , so they'll be added to the collection. 

I've already got quite a collection of old fishing gear , that I intend using at some point . I've even managed to get my hands on an old wicker fishing basket for the occasion. I reckon I'll get a cloth cap and a cardigan , and have myself a few days fishing 1960s style 😊.

more like 1860's......go off and have a day with your mate issac walton

5 hours ago, mel b3 said:

1960s my grandad, my dad and most folk I knew wore a shirt and tie complemented by a sports jacket and trousers to fish in.

Cardigan was worn under the sports jacket in the winter or in the house when jacket removed as grandad relaxed in his rocker by the fire. He even removed his collar and tie after tea, but never his shirt or shoes.

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Very camp!

cowardonchair.jpg

I prefer elegant dear boy☺.

16 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

1960s my grandad, my dad and most folk I knew wore a shirt and tie complemented by a sports jacket and trousers to fish in.

Cardigan was worn under the sports jacket in the winter or in the house when jacket removed as grandad relaxed in his rocker by the fire. He even removed his collar and tie after tea, but never his shirt or shoes.

That sounds very Mr crabtree ,  and paints a very nice picture 👍.

15 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Oh yes , that very distinctive bail arm click , and well engineered whir of a Mitchell. 

They appear to have been cleaned and serviced before they went into storage .  Even the line looks and feels like it was put onto the spools yesterday.

When I visit your estate , can I bring my old webley and scott fly Rod that I found in a dustbin please ?.

:lol: Of course Mel, bring any other goodies that you have picked up along the way. Great puttting life back into something that another has thought no longer use of.

One day Mel, one day. I got to live for the dream.

18 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Of course Mel, bring any other goodies that you have picked up along the way. Great puttting life back into something that another has thought no longer use of.

One day Mel, one day. I got to live for the dream.

When I get my Scottish estate ,  lin said that I can bring along the French maid (chantelle) to do the cooking.😊