Hedge layers

Walker570

28 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Does anyone know any hedge layers within striking distance of CV9 3NN.  I will be coppicing a patch of hazels in the next few weeks and a shame to waste the stakes and binders.

If anyone wishes to come and cut their own that is fine by me.  PM me details and I will respond.

Ah that's a shame. If I was closer I'd have had them off you in a shot. If you're still without a taker, the local Wildlife Trust might like them. Depending on who they've got in their ranks, they might have some people with those skills. I learnt my coppicing and hedge laying at BBOWT.

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Does anyone know any hedge layers within striking distance of CV9 3NN.  I will be coppicing a patch of hazels in the next few weeks and a shame to waste the stakes and binders.

If anyone wishes to come and cut their own that is fine by me.  PM me details and I will respond.

This has brought back some good memories !

When I was 19 (57 last Tuesday) I went on a 18th countryside management scheme and one of the units was hedge laying only downside was during the first 3 weeks of it it was bloody freezing with deep snow... But good experience .. we were on the local nature reserve " The Derwent walk" a disused railway line and surrounding lands .

We carried out step installation , footpath management, tree felling , fence erecting, meadow keeping Inc stjohns wort removal ect as they were used for horse grazing .., 

GOOD TIMES INDEED!!!!

Edited by hodge911
Spelling correction

I googled it of course and the Hedge Layers Association came up with someone just 5 miles away and a choice of three others. It was good to see that there where still plenty of chaps out there doing the job.   Pleased it brought back happy memories hodge911.  Ditchie, now there is a thought, might have a go in a small way. 

I have about 400 hazels I planted under the poplar canopy 20-25 years ago and it would be good to see them used.  I did hope that I could maybe get dormice bt the experts tell me that would be nigh impossible.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I googled it of course and the Hedge Layers Association came up with someone just 5 miles away and a choice of three others. It was good to see that there where still plenty of chaps out there doing the job.   Pleased it brought back happy memories hodge911.  Ditchie, now there is a thought, might have a go in a small way. 

I have about 400 hazels I planted under the poplar canopy 20-25 years ago and it would be good to see them used.  I did hope that I could maybe get dormice bt the experts tell me that would be nigh impossible.

you could do au natural...hole in the ground...and **** of earth.....or a couple of 50gall oil drums.....

all in all a nice little project

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you could do au natural...hole in the ground...and **** of earth.....or a couple of 50gall oil drums.....

On the same wavelength Simon. I was thinking a 45 gall drum/drums might do the job.  Must admit I don't use much charcoal these days other than in my big hot smoker/broiler .... lazy so and so and use gas barbie. It would be nice to use my own charcoal though.  NOW!!!  you've gone and set me off on a new project.

Hedgelayer coming to eye up the hazel coppice tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Ah this beings back memories! My old Wildlife Trust base made charcoal from the coppiced hazel and felled other trees. It's a great thing to do if you've got enough hazel. The smaller ones aren't overly efficient in volume, but still make good quality charcoal and it's so satisfying to do. 

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

It is nigh on impossible, but hazel's great for a shed load of other things too, so it's always worth putting in the habitat. Have you got boxes up for them? It sounds like it's probably good habitat - it's just there are so few around these days that if they're not there in the first place, population expansion is so slow and limited that it's tough to get them into an they're not already in. habitat fragmentation hits arboreal species badly. if the trees aren't connected to other areas, they're not going to make it. You may not have dormice, but you're in a good area for yellow necked mice, which are not common either. 

3 hours ago, henry d said:

My wife and I were only just talking about and admiring the amount of hazel near to us. I spotted some nice straight limbs quite close to the path and when I go to cut them I will possibly coppice them to create new growth if possible.

Cut them down to the ground and they will come back with a vengeance.

chris.  Yes I contacted the dormouse group and they said that a) I was too far away from a know dormouse wood and b) my small pacth was not big enough to support them anyway as I have no connecting woodland.

I found hazel made very good replacement pegs for the broken machined pegs for many of my purse nets. The machined or rough sawn pegs that used to come as the originals often snapped or split when 'booting' them into a frost hardened ground. I found a  straight length around an inch ideal when chopped down into pegs. They held a good whittled end and lasted for years.  

I hope someone gets some use out of them.

atb

7diaw