tikka 243

davewh100

26 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Not a varmint model, but a T3 Lite (.243) and have owned it from new for the past 9+ years. Never had an issue with it. I used it for stalking, with 100gr SP's, but now use 70gr for fox. I reload for this calibre along with 3 other calibre's.

thanks steve so 70g  it's a new caliber for me normally tikka tx3 with 55g

2 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

thanks steve so 70g  it's a new caliber for me normally tikka tx3 with 55g

sorry 223 😁

I had the heavy barrelled Varmint T3 in .243 Win some years ago. I put anything through it really….Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi ( if I recall )  of all weights and different heads; ballistic tips, semi jacketed hollow points, soft nosed, all sorts. 
Great bit of kit and never disappointed. It killed many a roe and fox. 

I have the T3 Hunter, the old one with the wooden stock and it is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. One thing that did catch me out was the firing pin spring which is very light due to the way Tikka have set it up to be very light when cocking the bolt. I was so used to just going out with it and never having a problem that I simply didn't bother to clean and wipe the pin over once in a while. Then one day it gave a light strike and didn't fire. Took it apart and cleaned it and very lightly oiled the internals of the bolt, and it worked perfectly again. 

Never understood a varmint barrel on a hunting gun when only one or two shots are going to be taken.

Mines the T3 Hunter as well, with wooden stock, over 10 years old now and never missed a beat. My .223 is a T3 Lite and gave me all sorts of balance issues but the Hunter has been great, mine favours 90g ammo, but there you go.

As above, the Varmint barrel has no use for me in the field, but others like it!

:good: