WiFi indoor camera

steve_b_wales

50 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Can anyone suggest a reasonable priced WiFi camera, so I can set it up to keep an eye out on my dog? I've tried the BLINK one from Amazon, which, although started to work well, gave up the ghost after a couple of weeks, and now does not record anything.

I use Swann security camera's for my property, not the cheapest on the market but they have never let me down. My main CCTV system is wired but my front door and gun cabinet are covered by Swann Wi-Fi.

The whole lot records 1080p colour data day or night, which is recorded both on the premises and uploaded to a free Drop Box account, you can also download the Swann app which allows you to use your phone to live view all your camera's and receive text messages of any intrusions, these can then be viewed live on your phone and forwarded to the police as evidence as all images are date stamped.

Overkill for what you require I know, but a single Wi-Fi camera, the Swann app and a free Drop Box account should cover your needs.

As with almost everything nowadays, you have to pay a little extra for quality. 

PS: with the audio camera you can even speak commands to your dog.

Edited by Tonka54
added comment

16 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

I use Swann security camera's for my property, not the cheapest on the market but they have never let me down. My main CCTV system is wired but my front door and gun cabinet are covered by Swann Wi-Fi.

The whole lot records 1080p colour data day or night, which is recorded both on the premises and uploaded to a free Drop Box account, you can also download the Swann app which allows you to use your phone to live view all your camera's and receive text messages of any intrusions, these can then be viewed live on your phone and forwarded to the police as evidence as all images are date stamped.

Overkill for what you require I know, but a single Wi-Fi camera, the Swann app and a free Drop Box account should cover your needs.

As with almost everything nowadays, you have to pay a little extra for quality. 

PS: with the audio camera you can even speak commands to your dog.

Thanks. The BLINK was okay at first. I could use my phone to have live view, and any movement triggered a 30 second recording, repeated after each 30 seconds if need be. For some reason, it stopped recording altogether. I'll take a look at the Swann one. 

I use an indoor YCC365 Plus, from Amazon. Monitor on phone, can listen in and press to talk.

Had it a few years and works fine.

I use it as a private camera on my disabled wife who has a bed downstairs, anywhere I can get a signal I can see she's OK.

We also have an extra indoor cam on our external Swann system that my son and daughter can log into to check on her, as well as 360 degree outside. 

Both are excellent just the YCC365 plus is cheaper and could be moved room to room if needed.

Another vote for the cheap Tapo (TP-Link) kit.

I have a proper wired Hikvision setup around the exterior of the property which is brilliant but it’s all wired and not the most straightforward setup.

Spent £30 on a Tapo wireless outdoor camera for a new carport I built and can’t fault it. Simple to setup and gives me live videos AND sound from anywhere in the world. I can talk to the camera or sound an alarm if needed, it records to a built in SD card and sends notifications to my iPhone if various alerts are triggered.

No subscription, no wires, brilliant!

4 hours ago, sandspider said:

Reolink work pretty well in my experience, and their basic but decent cameras are only £30 ish to buy. I do have an issue with one of my cameras disconnecting from the wifi every so often, but I think that's because our internet is rubbish.

Its possible you maybe able to cure this problem quite simply sandpiper.

If you have an old router knocking about, you are able to re-purpose it as a Wi-Fi extender, instructions here :   https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/us/how-to-turn-old-router-into-wifi-extender,review-5166.html .

Alternatively, you can purchase a cheapish Wi-Fi extender that you plug into a spare electrical 13amp socket which is nearer to the offending camera. (see attached ),   

wifi.JPG

43 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Thanks, but we have several extenders already. It seems that the main connection is unstable, and when it drops out, so do the extenders, and then the camera. Roll on fibre!

Yes, sorry didn't realise from your post that you are still on copper, Hopefully your provider will get you on fibre soon.