Simson suhl shotgun

pigeonbasher oz

After the creation of East Germany the 3 Companies of Haenel , Merkel and Simson were combined . The shotguns all based on what we can call the basic Merkel design . The Simson branded guns were the basic range usualy plain guns with boarder lie engraving and plain wood  . Higher grades were  branded/sold under the  Merkel name . They are all the same gun .

The single triggers were similar to that of Westley Richards and were/are over complex and did cause some problems . This was frequently manifest in the fact that they did not work well with light trigger pulls  .

All these guns made under the GDR government suffered for the same problem of lack of investment ,sticking to traditional methods of manufacture and designs that were long out dated . They were not alone in this and you can see a direct comparison with Webley and Scott in the UK . As a result the build quality was not as good as it should have been . It worked when it left the factory attitude and men who had lost pride in their workmanship under management that just wanted the product out of the door .

I did see quite a few of theses as I did warrantee and repair work for Viking so got to know them quite well .I also worked for Webley in the latter years so saw first hand how once great companies can decline through inaction and complacency .

12 hours ago, pigeonbasher oz said:

Well iv actually tried it on the clays its blooming fantastic .

I am very fond of the way a (same basic design) Merkel handles.  Whilst they look rather 'Germanically' heavy, in my view the handling is 'nimble', I think because the weight is in fact quite moderate (mine are comfortably under 7 1/2 lbs) and seems to be very much concentrated in the centre between the hands.  It seems to work for me.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I remember buying  Brno O/U in the 1980s , built like the Baikel , solid and heavy, can't remember model, double trigger but back one fired off both barrels as well, a cracker then for high pheasant clays 

The quality of manufacture of the BRNO stuff far exceeds the quality of the Baikal.

On 18/11/2021 at 10:20, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I remember buying  Brno O/U in the 1980s , built like the Baikel , solid and heavy, can't remember model, double trigger but back one fired off both barrels as well, a cracker then for high pheasant clays 

I had one for years (brno) it had Cutts compensator slots in the muzzles.A strange sliding breech no choke in either barrell.One of the best guns I ever owned.