yates

6 minutes ago, scouser said:

Spending billions to shave 20mins off a train timetable, what a waste  

Totally agree. But for my fellow villages and myself it would have destroyed the quality of our lives and wiped out one the last wildlife havens in our area. Totally irreplaceable but thank god saved…..for now 🙏🏻

Edited by yates

47 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

^^^This, complete waste of good money

Happen there's no money wasted, lad, if it goes into the pockets of fat cat Tory donor construction company bosses." As some fat Northern prominent former Conservative Chairman might have himself even said! Still they'll no doubt do even better out of the compensation to be paid to them for the now cancelled contracts. And all that cash without so much as actually having to have even turned over a sod.

6 hours ago, scouser said:

Yet I can sit for an hour in stopped traffic on the so called smart motorways,  twenty minutes more or less to London makes no difference at all, most folk travelling down there are probably working all the way on a laptop or enjoying a drink and the view.

On 15/11/2021 at 16:55, enfieldspares said:

Happen there's no money wasted, lad, if it goes into the pockets of fat cat Tory donor construction company bosses." As some fat Northern prominent former Conservative Chairman might have himself even said! Still they'll no doubt do even better out of the compensation to be paid to them for the now cancelled contracts. And all that cash without so much as actually having to have even turned over a sod.

The ones involved in this situation will most likely make money? That seems to be the way these things work, all by design maybe?

Would take longer to find a station to get on it than the time saved on overall journey, no wonder the politcos wanted it?

The only maths that they seem competent with is their wage structure and access to expenses?

Seems as part of this scenario it will be possible to run HS2 trains on the existing track saving 30 minutes journey time?Marvellous news, must nip off for a lie down.

On 15/11/2021 at 16:37, scouser said:

On 15/11/2021 at 19:23, London Best said:

The only place I want to go is shooting and stalking, and mass transport is never going to take me, or anyone else, there.

The point is more about capacity that speed. More line slots on the old network means cheaper and more frequent freight options and in turn clearer roads and less congestion. All in turn contributing to our carbon targets.

Maybe its best to forget the North. 

4 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Even if this was said in jest it has been the attitude of London based policy makers/civil servants for decades. 

Exactly!!!!!! This is why this is such desperately bad news. If it was cross rail or another London centric project no doubt it would be all systems go. We need to build the North to save the South. 

24 minutes ago, oowee said:

Exactly!!!!!! This is why this is such desperately bad news. If it was cross rail or another London centric project no doubt it would be all systems go. We need to build the North to save the South. 

I disagree, what the north needs is better local and east west connections, not a faster route to the London cess pit.  This is what will "build" the north.  No one, east or west, needs to nock 20min. off that southward journey.

3 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I disagree, what the north needs is better local and east west connections, not a faster route to the London cess pit.  This is what will "build" the north.  No one, east or west, needs to nock 20min. off that southward journey.

Forget passengers its freight that benefits from more slots on the old network. 

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

This. The same with the A47. It should be dualled for its full length where possible.

3 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Absolutely,  if I look at travel times between Preston and Manchester or Preston and Leeds, travelling in the car, that time given is nothing more than an estimate at best, the sheer weight of traffic generally means the motorway will be crawling at best, if its moving. 

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Forget passengers its freight that benefits from more slots on the old network. 

It's not sold as that to Joe average though, it's all about travel time to London, which most of us OOP NORTH, really couldn't care less about. 

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

Absolutely,  if I look at travel times between Preston and Manchester or Preston and Leeds, travelling in the car, that time given is nothing more than an estimate at best, the sheer weight of traffic generally means the motorway will be crawling at best, if its moving. 

Sounds like there are way too many people in the whole country, not just London. But I still think London takes the biscuit.

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

It's not sold as that to Joe average though, it's all about travel time to London, which most of us OOP NORTH, really couldn't care less about. 

Neither can us down London, this money pit will only benefit a few, and the rest of us won't be able to afford it, even if we did want to use it.

Edited by Newbie to this

3 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Sounds like there are way too many people in the whole country, not just London. But I still think London takes the biscuit.

Perfectly true and that is the real problem behind transport and may other social services. 

However I believe the whole project of HS2 is a total waste of money. If that amount of money is available for transport investment ,I think we all can think of more areas which are need of improvement ahead of HS2

5 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Perfectly true and that is the real problem behind transport and may other social services. 

However I believe the whole project of HS2 is a total waste of money. If that amount of money is available for transport investment ,I think we all can think of more areas which are need of improvement ahead of HS2

Oh yes!

Did I hear wrongly, Labour are claiming they started the whole HS2 North thing?

I am surprised they want anything to do with the debacle.

As always, political expediency trumps reality. In terms of opportunities, education, transport links and living standards the south east is generally better off than the north. The north however is in turn relatively better off in all those respects than the perpetually overlooked and neglected west and south west.

IDK why there's all the fuss about spending billions we can ill afford on HS2 or the alternative cunning plan because the south east did not become what it is because of better transport links. The reality is that a higher percentage of qualified and professional staff living in the south east and working in London or the home counties came first - and that drove the requirements for more and better transport.

The proponents of  HS2 and now son of HS2 as the means to facilitate The Northern Powerhouse and Levelling Up are a wasting taxpayers money because they fail to recognise that there are multiple bigger issues holding back the north than the rail network.

I think the people of Leeds and the surrounding area have dodged the bullet.  

If you come down the home counties and see the utter carnage and devastation it's causing to the nature, woodland and the thousands of acres of prime agricultural land that is being torn through, the people up north may have second thoughts.

Make the country more self sufficient, cut down food miles, grow locally, think green the whole scheme for a few is a joke.

The people in Manchester and surrounding areas won't know what's hit them when the construction crews turn up there and shut half the main roads to push this white elephant through, they'll be kicking off about delays and congestion then.

The line cuts through the corner of my shoot. All been fenced off now but not before they relocated some badgers, thanks hs2, I needed an influx of them when we've got a prime beef herd.