Has Anyone Read This carefully?

Lead vs steel - a question of lethality - The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (basc.org.uk)

This has been mentioned towards the end of Page 2 and onwards here (didn't want to further corrupt this thread):

Game Shooting - Does cartridge velocity have a significant effect over 40 yards on the effectiveness of a 20 gauge cartridge ?

I know that BASC are aware of the comments so far made on PW regarding this piece. I have a feeling that there may just be a few more. Here's just two for starters:

Is this a deliberate attempt by BASC to muddy the waters in favour of steel shot? I cannot help but think that that is the case.

Would anyone know where BASC readily acquired some No. 3 steel shot having a 3.3mm diameter? It is well known and accepted that the default shot size for steel is physically one size larger than the given diameter for lead. No.4 shot (steel) is mentioned in passing and, again, I cannot help but think that this is a veiled attempt to persuade folk that the Standard steel shot is as good, if not better and particularly with regards to patterns, than the HP version.

There is an old HMF's saying about what baffles brains. There is another, not quite so well known, about to whom this should not be attempted. Sorry, BASC, but you've been rumbled. I notice that there are further studies to be made regarding the NTS situation. As this will not affect me I look forward to being entertained further.

It’s a meaningless test as they never used a light weight game gun 

you can build a cartridge to do just about anything weather you can fire a lot in quick succession is a totally different thing 

we know what you can kill ducks and geese with and the gun to use but it’s debatable as to how many you would fire in a day I would say that on average a driven game shooter fires more cartridges at pheasant or partridge in a day than a wildfowler fires in a season 

the whole thing is badly thought out ☹️

55 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Why don't you ring the university and ask them if they took an envelope of cash to promote BASCs agenda? 

You could if you wished. I'm satisfied that Shrivenham would have done exactly as they were tasked. Apart from Stephen Champion's quoted words, the written article appears to be by BASC with just the Key Findings - photo's and tables - supplied by Cranfield University. It is worth noting perhaps that both cartridges in the trial would be classed as HP which would explain the given effective range - subject to pattern - as suggested.

9 minutes ago, wymberley said:

You could if you wished. I'm satisfied that Shrivenham would have done exactly as they were tasked. Apart from Stephen Champion's quoted words, the written article appears to be by BASC with just the Key Findings - photo's and tables - supplied by Cranfield University. It is worth noting perhaps that both cartridges in the trial would be classed as HP which would explain the given effective range - subject to pattern - as suggested.

Its a BASC article,  on the BASC website, what exactly do you expect?

May i suggest, instead of whining on the Internet, you provide us with your scientific findings? This article shows, in a simple form, the information that people need about steel shot, instead of the nonsense spouted by most.

4 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Its a BASC article,  on the BASC website, what exactly do you expect?

May i suggest, instead of whining on the Internet, you provide us with your scientific findings? This article shows, in a simple form, the information that people need about steel shot, instead of the nonsense spouted by most.

As said earlier, as I won't be affected I have nothing to whine about. On this topic I have learned full well what to expect. I agree that the piece is in simple form, but for the information to be of benefit to those who may wish to use the shot is only of value if accurate.

I regret that my scientific findings relate only to the ability to recognise the brain baffling substance when I am faced with it.