Bobba

Just received an email from Amazon to say effective from 19 Jan  2022 they will no longer accept Visa credit cards due to Visa high charges.

The email looks genuine enough and card changes have to be done through my account on their website, but I thought I’d check to see if others have received a similar email.

Curiously, Amazon are willing to accept Amex. Yet when I worked in a mail order Co we would not due to Amex’s high charges. How the world of finance changes.

Seems completely daft - Amex are legendary for being an expensive card for a retailer to accept and yet Amazon are ticking the box - must have negotiated a keen rate.   I've had Amex credit cards for job expenses and it's truly the most unwelcome piece of plastic you can have in your wallet...well maybe Diners Club was worse still 😒

A terrible piece of marketing for Visa - we can expect banks that offer Visa cards to suddenly switch to Mastercard.

• 1 month later...

I work for a very large company and an email came around saying that Amazon Business would still accept Visa Credit cards so all purchasers were authorised to set up Amazon business accounts. 

Having done so, Amazon Business basic is free to set up and is even linked to my normal Amazon account. Business Prime is a further £40 a year and does nothing for me other than get free delivery for the year as I don't want access to their accounting software or 30 day payment terms. Other than it having a separate (but identical feeling) app, and the fact it quotes the prices ex. VAT I can't see any substantial difference. And no, it doesn't come with Music or Videos so you can't just switch and cancel the other subscription if you want them still.

Received today from Amazon;

Dear Mr J XXXXX

The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on 
Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk.  

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer. 

2 minutes ago, harkom said:

Am I correct in thinking that a credit card purchase provides the buyer with a form of buyer protection/insurance whereas a purchase on a debit card does not provide the same level of protection - in the event of item breakage/faulty/non-arrival ?

I believe that is correct, though quite what the details are - I don't know.  There is some information here  https://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-credit-card-protection/