Breakdown Emergency Services ?

marsh man

Last Saturday I had good reason to ring up , or should I say tried the R A C , after listening to a recorded message about what service I needed I pressed two , I then got another recorded message to press in my membership number in my mobile , having done that it then needed my date of birth , then the hard bit , I was then asked to press in my post code , with me never having sent a text in my life I didn't know how to press in the first two letters ( NR ) into the phone and no doubt the next request would have been my car reg , anyhow by now I have had enough and cut the call off .

Before the R A C, I was with the A A and the only time I had the need to call them it was dead easy , all the numbers needed were on a card and I had no problems at all and the A A chap was with me within 40 minutes .

So some of you wise gents must be with the R A C , what I am asking , can you ring them direct without the hazzle that I had to contend with and get to talk to someone straight away ?

THANKS again for your time and any advice you are willing to offer .  All The Best   MM

19 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Last Saturday I had good reason to ring up , or should I say tried the R A C , after listening to a recorded message about what service I needed I pressed two , I then got another recorded message to press in my membership number in my mobile , having done that it then needed my date of birth , then the hard bit , I was then asked to press in my post code , with me never having sent a text in my life I didn't know how to press in the first two letters ( NR ) into the phone and no doubt the next request would have been my car reg , anyhow by now I have had enough and cut the call off .

Before the R A C, I was with the A A and the only time I had the need to call them it was dead easy , all the numbers needed were on a card and I had no problems at all and the A A chap was with me within 40 minutes .

So some of you wise gents must be with the R A C , what I am asking , can you ring them direct without the hazzle that I had to contend with and get to talk to someone straight away ?

THANKS again for your time and any advice you are willing to offer .  All The Best   MM

This is a appalling service imagine trying this if you are deaf 

these automated servers are a insult to the members 

The simple answer is it’s cheep so more profit so bigger bonuses for the directors ! You don’t have to pay a computer overtime or shift allowance.

these days more youngsters will sort a breakdown through an app on there phone ! ( provide they have a signal ) .

They should have a complaints procedure log a complaint. My mum is half blind and does well with technology through her I pad but really struggles with these automated systems that when I usually get a call 

Agriv8 

Sacked the RAC off a long time ago after me continuely asking them not to put me on auto renewal, but they carried on doing so , after a very short and not so sweet phone call they were told what they could do with their service, by the sounds of things they haven’t changed but got worse , my mrs has breakdown cover with Eversure I think it is , she’s used them twice and has had nothing but praise for them , may be worth a try 

I am also with Green Flag not had an occassion to use them yet, but was with the RAC for 22 years and when needed  last year nobody came, I received phone calls informing me that I have to wait another 50 minutes but nobody came. I live in Norfolk when driving to London during the summer this year I passed a biker on a Harley who had broken down, he said he was OK and waiting for the RAC, on our return some 7 hours later he was still there with an RAC guy working on his bike. The RAC in my opinion has lost its way .

Unfortunately I have RAC as part of my lease.

When I used them in the past I found they cure the symptom not the problem. ie: jump start for flat battery but never bother checking the battery or alternator. 

I have always had Green Flag fully comp through the caravan club in the past. Used them a few times, mostly for full recovery as I used to be able to fix most things myself. Always found them professional and reliable although the woman who answers the phone is belligerent.

Currently RAC again as on lease for next 5 years. Also have one years free Toyota call out care cover and one years free AA cover. Yup, I'm confused too.

Green Flag by choice, always.🤪

Last time I called the RAC (a long time ago) was from the hard shoulder of a motorway in freezing fog at about 05:00 in the morning, I had to read an enormously long number over the emergency phone by the light of passing headlights ......... gave up in the end and fortunately, on return to my car, it restarted and made it to the next services, where I dumped it and called a colleague who I knew would be passing and got picked up.  Collected the car on the way back.  Usual (in those days) Ford problem - sticking automatic choke.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Last time I called the RAC (a long time ago) was from the hard shoulder of a motorway in freezing fog at about 05:00 in the morning, I had to read an enormously long number over the emergency phone by the light of passing headlights ......... gave up in the end and fortunately, on return to my car, it restarted and made it to the next services, where I dumped it and called a colleague who I knew would be passing and got picked up.  Collected the car on the way back.  Usual (in those days) Ford problem - sticking automatic choke.

Nor sure if its still the same but if you're in the services RAC & AA can't touch you? I once when much younger helped someone push the car from the services whilst the RAC van followed, then he was allowed to give assistance. 

9 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

I use Geenflag. Called them out three times in the last couple of years and they were spot on. Most recently pickup grounded in the keepers yard an a big estate in a relatively isolated location. Got straight through, explained the problem and recovered in about an hour and a half.

I have been a Greenflag member for 20 years. They are not as good as they used to be but still way better than the 'Other Two'  It is like paying and insurance and I have it rolled over year by year. 

11 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

I've been with StartRescue for about 10 years, cannot fault the service or price (£47/annum).

Hi   Can you ring them up if you broke down and talk a person , or do you have to put the details in your phone and pass them on , all I want to do is to talk to someone about the location I have broken down, and not use apps or whatever they call them  ?

THANKS      MM

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

Hi   Can you ring them up if you broke down and talk a person , or do you have to put the details in your phone and pass them on , all I want to do is to talk to someone about the location I have broken down, and not use apps or whatever they call them  ?

THANKS      MM

Last time I used them for a breakdown was 3 years ago, spoke to the same gentleman 4 times while waiting for the truck to arrive, initially to report my situation then he rang every 10 minutes to check that I was OK and was actually on the phone as the breakdown truck arrived, may have been a one off but I was so impressed by the service I never shop around anymore. To be certain just give them a ring and ask.

Edited by bruno22rf