JSB Exact RS 177/7.33gr

wymberley

I bought these for the Alecto for the lower velocity trajectory which turned out to be a good idea - 5 shot groups well, well inside a 20p coin at 20 yards. At the moment I'm well and truly grounded - even have a self imposed ban on driving - so I can't see for myself. In terms of lethality has anyone tried them on live quarry (squirrel) from a marginally sub 12 ftlbs rifle?

Many thanks.

The 7.33 grn .177 are one of the best pellets available  in my opinion  .they fly flat and hit hard .Great on squirrels pigeons and rabbits out to 40 yds .I use them at pistol powers also .and have shot rabbits and rats with them out to 20 yds with little issue .

Also try the. 22 version at 13.4 grns they are great .again in lower powered guns right up to 25 fpe .(my fac .22 pellet of choice .) 

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

The 7.33 grn .177 are one of the best pellets available  in my opinion  .they fly flat and hit hard .Great on squirrels pigeons and rabbits out to 40 yds .I use them at pistol powers also .and have shot rabbits and rats with them out to 20 yds with little issue .

Also try the. 22 version at 13.4 grns they are great .again in lower powered guns right up to 25 fpe .(my fac .22 pellet of choice .) 

Righty ho! I'll give them a go when my hands are better and I stop dropping things (dropped the 725 barrels earlier, but got away with it as they glanced off the cushioned ironing board and landed on the carpet instead of the stone floor). Don't think the 13.4 grns will fit in the R-10 177 though. :innocent:

14 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

What are the bc values you used for the heavies and the rs ? 

Obviously  the values can vary  form gun to gun and especially different shot from a pcp v a springer  .you have chosen 2 pellets from  the opposite ends of the scale  

Yep, it's only ever going to be a guide. Perhaps not surprisingly, I have chosen the two particular pellets simply because they are the ones that I'm going to use. The JSB Heavy relates to its MV with the R-10 and the table runs pretty close to the measured performances. So far I have only checked the RS in the Alecto and for this too that table is fairly accurate out to 30 yards only. The table for the RS given is purely theoretical and simply matches the ME of the R-10/JSB and was done purely because of your earlier remarks about their 40 yard efficiency which the table appears to justify.

It all can't be too bad as the figures for the pellets given - plus the exact 8.44 -  if entered as per the ubiquitous internet tables for their MV0 plus MV30 yards, then my figures are consistently within some 25 ft/sec at the 30 yards

Edited by wymberley

Bc for the

10.3  0.032 

8.44  0.025

7.9     0.018

7.33   0.016 

These are  average values that I've tested and found to be true from my bsa pcps at different power levels at 20 yds and 40 yds 

As you see the heavies carry the most energy down range and the lights the least but the trajectory of the heavies are the worst  really the sweet spot is with the exact 8.4s  as they have a really good bc for there weight and is why they are the most sort after pellet for hunting and competition. 

Interesting to see after 30 yds the 8.4s have the highest velocity  while starting out second slowest  . Looks to me if you want a pellet for close to medium work use the lights as the high velocity will give a flat trajectory   and cleaner kills and more deformation of pellet and  target .

For long range use the med weight exact .

For all round ability  .

The heavies  - errrrr good if you can drive them faster at fac power   (I still use 8.4s  at 950 fps over the heavies at 900 ) 

Oh just  remembered the heavies are the best in the wind  for sure  

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Interesting to see after 30 yds the 8.4s have the highest velocity  while starting out second slowest  . Looks to me if you want a pellet for close to medium work use the lights as the high velocity will give a flat trajectory   and cleaner kills and more deformation of pellet and  target .

For long range use the med weight exact .

For all round ability  .

The heavies  - errrrr good if you can drive them faster at fac power   (I still use 8.4s  at 950 fps over the heavies at 900 ) 

Oh just  remembered the heavies are the best in the wind  for sure  

Many thanks for the tables. Our BCs differ slightly but not enough to matter - mine are slightly inferior to yours. I'm not too fussed and simply use the GA Model because my be all and end all is which is the most accurate - a couple of tenths of a ftlb is neither here nor there.

That is very true and accuracy  is the most important  element .ie the pellet that gives you the greatest chance of hitting your target with the first shot .

Be that a flattened trajectory  faster lighter or one that bucks the  wind best  heavier and slower .only you can answer that. 

I know if I'm targeting squirrels high up in trees (which naturally  flattens a trajectory  ) or shooting over  open fields  for rabbits or decoying pigeons  I want wind bucking properties .

If I want to shoot rabbits in sheltered areas and longer ranges .I want a flatter trajectory