RSPCA RELEASE SQUIRREL TRAPPED IN BIRD FEEDER

Rookandrabbit

Just watched this video on the bbc News website ……… this looks like a grey squirrel ! Is this still not an invasive species, Invasive non-native (alien) animal species: rules in England and Wales ? Does this legislation not apply to the RSPCA ? Does the law regarding releasing invasive species back into the environment not apply…….. Just asking for a friend!

Thanks for submitting the link but just been looking into the legislation regarding  Invasive Alien species and it states: 

Releasing an accidentally restrained animal

If an animal has been accidentally caught, for example, it’s trapped in wire netting, you can release it. This is not considered intentional release.

So this is why they can release them I will let my friend know !!

2 hours ago, Rookandrabbit said:

Thanks for submitting the link but just been looking into the legislation regarding  Invasive Alien species and it states: 

If an animal has been accidentally caught, for example, it’s trapped in wire netting, you can release it. This is not considered intentional release.

Thanks for taking the time to find that out & share. I must admit I wasn`t aware of this part of legislation myself. 👍

Not the same at all?

One is vermin the other a deer.

In answer to your question, personally if the deer was injured the correct answer should surely be yes but humanely depending on circumstance? To be carted off for treatment must be inhumane to such a highly strung creature?

Adult Muntjac  can give severe puncture injuries so should be treated with care and could not now  legally be released after treatment anyway? 

On 18/11/2021 at 12:58, Rookandrabbit said:

That's the issue,  it was trapped accidentally. This question has popped up everywhere,  had it been released in say Penrith or Perth I could well understand it being an issue,  but the RSPCA were never going to put down a squirrel trapped in a bird feeder in Surrey.

On 18/11/2021 at 12:58, Rookandrabbit said:

Maybe so but they still break the rules at every chance there's  loads of videos been on TV where they release them from being trapped take them to a rehabilitation  centre keep them there for observation  then take them for release a few days later .....

We've  also shot "urban foxes" on the estate that have been treated for whatever and released on the private  land of the estate .

Easily identified as they have no real fear of humans and make no attempt to run off when the lamp goes on .

but all of them also had shaved patches of fur for canular insertion some also had stitches.

We also seen on occasions  an unmarked white van releasing them and drive off quickly .

On 19/11/2021 at 17:11, old man said:

One is vermin the other a deer.

Define "vermin".  Is it not any animal that is in the wrong place at the wrong time?  Invasive species would seem to always be vermin, but not all vermin are invasives.

Muntjac are vermin if there are 200 of them munching their way through your crops, no?

RS

13 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Define "vermin".  Is it not any animal that is in the wrong place at the wrong time?  Invasive species would seem to always be vermin, but not all vermin are invasives.

Muntjac are vermin if there are 200 of them munching their way through your crops, no?

RS

Definitely not Rocky, Muntjac are Deer according to the BDS and legislated as such.

This invasive species law is most strange and not clear at all as per the following:-

Rabbits not native introduced by the Roman??

Mink released by animal activists??

Grey Squirrels introduced by the Victorians

Muntjac , Victorians ??

The River Trust quiet happily remove Zander as they can sell them in the fish market as Bass??

they do nothing about the American Crayfish and Mitten crabs??

These facts may not be accurate but you can see what I’m getting at, it would appear that these charities do not want to comply with the law as it may affect there funding from the public.

RANT OVER