2 & 7/8th chambered 10 guage

ratty1

26 minutes ago, ratty1 said:

I've got a 3.1/2 ten already but just fancy something lighter and older. 

For most of my shooting a 2 7/8th will do just fine. Would be not much difference to a 3 inch 12 I imagine. 

We don't get high geese down here in the south west. 20yard Canada's 

Holts have some in their next sale ,under obsolete shot guns , even got a winchester underlever repeater !

The  pattern with a  RTO 1 3/8 load of BB may be ok for 30 yards max as most are very lightly choked if not cylinder bore.I used one for a short while but had to return the gun as it misfired  unfortunately. But the black powder loads i done were the dogs danglies. It patterned lovely at 30 yards and a pretty big swoosh  of smoke .I would have enjoyed the gun but if i buy another breech loader ill just get an old  12 bore hammergun and use the black powder in that. The same enjoyment--much cheaper to buy and same range if not better.

Edited by bishop

44 minutes ago, shakin stevens said:

I've got a W  Richard's of liverpool 10b  with 3 1/2 chambers and extra full chokes , I have always loaded 3 inch shells in it , found it perfect for shore geese and ducks, never loaded a 3 1/2 cartridge for it .  I would go for a 3 inch 10b if you can .

Ive seen one on gun star , t Harrison 3inch that I'm going to message about.  I have a friend that has  used a 2 7/8 th and 3inch for years and shoots well with them. Price of Bismuth has always put me off but I've decided to just bite the bullet. 

Like i say m8 i loaded up a few 1 3/8 BB lead (scotland)  and they patterned very well if a bit too thin at 30 yards in a 1/4 choked hammer 10.With 3 shot it would  have been lovely out to 35-40 yards. With tighter chokes its a given the range would be greater,but then as you said the birds would not be sky scrapers anyways. You cant beat that sulphur  reek and distinctive plume of smoke hanging about a damp reedbed from an old hammergun.Do ensure it has been live fired recently and the proof marks are reasonably recent as some do sell on guns only fit for the wall. Hope you grab one soon.

Hi bishop. I ended going for for a thomas wild 12 , decided it would be more practical for me and will get more use. Picked her up tonight, in very good condition ,. My friends going to load some 40/42 gram Bismuth 2s  for me to try in it. 

It's nitro proofed to 1& 1/2 Ounce  with full and xtra full so should be good out to 45yard,.  Will be just right on a windy night and some low pinks up north.