Proberbly the best all round shot gun out there.

Harnser

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Maybe for you.
While I owned one and shot well with it, and admittedly it was a great gun, I would say the best all round shotgun out there is the one you shoot best with, all round. 
Make, configuration, action type, bore are all irrelevant. 

Perfectly said Scully 👍

I only shoot clays and have had about 20 guns over 40 years. My trouble was i was more interested in the wood of the gun

on some of them i have had than the actual fit. I've had Brownings, Mirokus, Winchesters Beretta's and am now shooting a Beretta 687 SP 3 30 " sporter

and it is the most comfortable and best fitting gun i have ever had. It will be a keeper.

I did put a post up the other week saying i would a nice upmarket gun but i am happy with the Beretta.

Funny thing is i have had my CZ .22 Rimfire for 16 years and cant see me changing it.

28 minutes ago, theshootist said:

I love the B325, but it would fall down today for its inability to take high pressure steel. A perfect all round gun for me would need a 3" chamber and superior steel proof.

Lovely gun - Oppo has had Harnser's version for at least 25 years. It's in regular use, has performed faultlessly and looks as though it'll do another 25 with ease. All you need to get the spec that you also want is a Chapuis.

9 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Lovely gun - Oppo has had Harnser's version for at least 25 years. It's in regular use, has performed faultlessly and looks as though it'll do another 25 with ease. All you need to get the spec that you also want is a Chapuis.

I've had a 325 since 1992 and I've only once had to take it apart to de-gum the bottom striker. It's had a lot of shells though it and done it all. I got a friend into them and he's since bought two grade 5s and a grade 6! 

2 hours ago, theshootist said:

I love the B325, but it would fall down today for its inability to take high pressure steel. A perfect all round gun for me would need a 3" chamber and superior steel proof.

It will be more than capable of handling HP steel shot. I’ve put the stuff through much older guns than was my 325. 

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Mine was bought new in 1984 and is still mint and has been faultless. I think the 325 was the replacement the supperposed hand made guns .

harnser

7 minutes ago, theshootist said:

If its going to be my allround gun then it needs to be able to shoot large charges of large steel shot for wildfowling. So absolutely necessary for me if it's going to do everything. 

I have made the point many times over the years that a gun doesn't necessarily need a fleur de lis in order to be fine with "HP" steel.

Strange.
Since we went lead-free for ducks and geese lots and lots have given theirselves up for me with 32 gram steel 4’s. But I will admit to using 36 gram lead 1’s for Spur-Wing geese in Africa because that is what was supplied. Seemed to work most effectively through my true cyl and quarter barrels.

1 minute ago, motty said:

I have made the point many times over the years that a gun doesn't necessarily need a fleur de lis in order to be fine with "HP" steel.

Correct Motty you have  I’ve also pointed out on previous posts my aya no3 magnum will take 3 inch HP Steel with no problems 

I am not sure if there is a perfect gun that will be a master for all types of shooting , although if there was I doubt , well not doubt, I know I couldn't afford one if there was , to me they are work horses rather than a thing of beauty , not so much now but I used to wallow in the mud , down the side of dykes and in a gun punt and the poor gun would go through it all and rarely if ever let me down , like us , as they get older the joints begin to creek and the odd screw come loose , this is when they have a dignified retirement before they end up in the melting pot .:no:

out of a cabinet of guns and investments   my go to is a cheap 28 bore as my body wont let me carry my pride and joys         however i load my own      on pheasant 19g load  i have never felt under gunned  and wiped an eye or two       i have every faith in the 28 bore      just got to work up a non toxic load   

The answer will be different as we all have different uses.  For example, I have no use for heavy wildfowl charges.

What I need is a reasonably light game gun, to shoot smallish (maybe 5 to 10 birds a gun) days, a bit of walked up and a few 'for fun' clays.   No competitive stuff.

What I think it would be (and why) would be;

• Probably s/s, 28" barrels, weighing about 6 3/4 to 7 lbs (because that seems to suit me)
  • 12 bore (wide load availability, cheap(er) to run), 2 3/4 chambered, choked prob Imp and 1/4 (allows for wide choice of loads inc std steel)
  • Double trigger, straight hand stock, auto safety (because that's what I like and am used to)

On make/model, sidelock or boxlock, ejector/non ejector - I'm not over fussy.  All would do the job well.  2 3/4 chamber will mean not so many English choices, so might end up being Spanish, Italian depending on budget etc.