Headlight problem

discobob

My car has HID Xennons - and has been having a problem lately. The drivers side dipped beam will stop working - and with it the full beam as well - would this happen - or do I have a faulty ballast on the headlight rather than or as well as the bulb. Turn the lights off and back on and it works again.

They are the bulbs fitted from new and the car is now 8.5 years old

Thanks guys - just waiting on bulbs to be delivered - I am having two dipped changed and see how it goes from there - the trouble is that you have to drop the bumper to get at the lights - and to drop the bumper you have to pull back the wheel lining - for which ideally you need to remove the wheels!!!

On 24/11/2021 at 08:45, discobob said:

Thanks guys - just waiting on bulbs to be delivered - I am having two dipped changed and see how it goes from there - the trouble is that you have to drop the bumper to get at the lights - and to drop the bumper you have to pull back the wheel lining - for which ideally you need to remove the wheels!!!

Is it a Ford? I watched a video on the newest Mondeo and it sounds like that, I couldn't believe what had to be done just to change a light bulb.

I often have to double check my lights are on as they seem so poor sometimes but everything is working??

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Is it a Ford? I watched a video on the newest Mondeo and it sounds like that, I couldn't believe what had to be done just to change a light bulb.

I often have to double check my lights are on as they seem so poor sometimes but everything is working??

Nearly - its a Jag XF :)

I had an old Mondeo that you could change the bulbs on if you dislocated both shoulders and got someone to hold your legs up in the air while doing it. 

Regarding your lights - try going to an MOT station and aske them to set it to the height limit - it isn't picked up on a test if it is low as long as it isn't high to dazzle other drivers

9 hours ago, discobob said:

Regarding your lights - try going to an MOT station and aske them to set it to the height limit - it isn't picked up on a test if it is low as long as it isn't high to dazzle other drivers

The annoying thing is my brother does MOTs part time, but you can guarantee if we go over in my car it's lashing down so it gets left.

• 2 months later...
On 02/12/2021 at 08:33, discobob said:

I asked for this to be checked when I had my car serviced,  apparently my lights are at the max height, there just naff.

The headlights and dipped beam on my X Type Jaguar are pathetic and having looked at forums on the X Type in America where the car is popular the one problem they have is headlights.  I have a friend who is a top rate electrician, vehicles, house, even oil tankers and he has had a look and is upgrading them to new LEDs which I hope will solved the problem.  Fortunately the lights are fairly easy to access.  If you do upgrade then it is worth spending a few bob on having it done by someone who knows what they are doing. I'm fortunate.

We will see because mine are being upgraded tomorrow and I know of at least three which have also been upgraded.  If they are set correctly and adhere to light patterns I do not see a problem.

8 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I'm not an mot tester but my understanding was changing halogen to led results in a fail. 

20 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

Technically xenon lights need to have self levelling and self cleaning to pass an mot. Although never heard of many getting pulled up for it if adjusted properly. 

My X type estate has adjustable lights for when carrying a load.  I wonder how they judge those. Probably on the highest setting.  Just make sure the back is empty before taking it in.