Avian Flu on The Solway

Dave at kelton

Had to share this bad news. Not affecting wildfowling at present but caution recommended.

After surveys yesterday the latest numbers of dead birds are as follows:

In the Caerlaverock NNR wildfowling zone over 60 dead barnacles and 1 dead swan with 4 other barnacles showing signs of illness.

WWT reported 6 dead swans and over 30 dead barnacles on Monday with 4-5 dying a day at the moment, they suspect an under count as they haven’t counted along the merse edge.  

We have been receiving reports of dead barnacles along the eastern shore of the reserve as well as at RSPB Mersehead, I don’t have confirmed numbers for these locations.

In addition we have had a report of one dead mallard (Priestside) and a dead wigeon (inland on the Estate)

We will continue to monitor on the reserve to provide data to the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) and DEFRA; if you come across any dead or sickly animals elsewhere, below is the contact number for reporting:

Avian influenza (bird flu) is a notifiable animal disease,  dead wild waterfowl (swans, geese or ducks) or other dead wild birds, such as gulls or birds of prey, as part of Scottish Government, Defra and Welsh Government’s surveillance for avian influenza should be reported to the Defra helpline (03459 33 55 77) (Option 7). DO NOT touch or pick up any dead or visibly sick birds that you find. For further information see our advice to the public.

The revision of the risk assessment under the The Avian Influenza (H5N1 in Wild birds) (Scotland) Order 2007 is currently underway. The risk of incursion of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) H5 infection in wild birds remains at HIGH (occurs often). The risk of poultry and captive bird exposure to HPAI H5 across Great Britain is MEDIUM (with medium uncertainty) where biosecurity is sub-optimal, and is LOW (with medium uncertainty) where stringent biosecurity measures are applied. In light of the high number of recent wild bird findings, it is likely that the risk of poultry and captive bird exposure to HPAI H5 across Great Britain will be amended in the next few days.

It has been around here for a few weeks now.  Not seen any cases myself, but I understand in the centre of Worcester city there have been several dead swans.

https://www.worcester.gov.uk/news/public-urged-not-to-touch-sick-or-dead-birds

I am surprised that people who have handled are being told to take antivirals. 

41 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Yes, they said on the radio two cases,  in two areas but I'm not sure how many birds have been affected. 

Chicken holding near Preston unsure about there seems to be a good few geese about this year, my house is under a flightline as an example and it's busy am/pm

43 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Chicken holding near Preston unsure about there seems to be a good few geese about this year, my house is under a flightline as an example and it's busy am/pm

I've just had a look.

1087260539_Screenshot_20211119-193424_SamsungInternet.jpg.bb90a3379c5b19e34b27013a092fefca.jpg

It says an unnamed poultry farm, but then they put this up, that covers a very big area.

I found a dead Whooper swan 10 days ago whilst walking on the Craigs moss next to the Lochar water, 4 miles south of  Dumfries. Didn't think to report it then, but on reading of other wild fowl being found locally, I phoned the Defra number, apart from taking over 30 minutes for my call to be answered, it felt like a waste of time. The woman said there was no record of bird flu in this area at the moment, I told her I'd read a bbc article on that very subject, she however didn't know anything about that and had to establish whether to do a report, since it was 10 dys ago and the swan has since been eaten by foxes/badgers, so therefore not available for testing. A lot of effort for a very disappointing result.  Hope other reports are taken more seriously! 

Latest from Caerlaverock not looking good!😢😢

We have had confirmation from the Animal and Plant Health Agency that the barnacle sent for testing from the reserve on the 12th November has H5N1.

This week we have carried out a second survey between Kenneth Bank and Moss-side to count dead and sick birds, to note we found dead and sick pink footed geese for the first time yesterday.

Summary of numbers found:

96 dead barnacles

34 sick barnacles

2 dead whooper swans

4 dead pink footed geese

1 sick pink footed goose

(These totals dont include WWT sanctuary area who are seeing 5-8 sick barnacles a day at the moment)

We are in regular contact with Defra and the APHA who have advised the reserve staff that although the risk of transmission to humans is rated low it is still a risk and to avoid contact with wild birds and to ensure we comply with the highest levels of biosecurity (full body protective clothing) where we must have any contact (e.g. for monitoring/sample collection).

The latest position on the Scottish government website is that the with the confirmed cases of H5N1 in Fife and Dumfries the situation is currently still being assessed in terms of disease control requirements  - https://www.gov.scot/publications/avian-influenza-bird-flu/, at this time we don’t know if there will be a change to the Solway to a control zone. For now the government guidance remains that if you do shoot to follow good personal biosecurity and should regularly cleanse and disinfect clothing, footwear and vehicles – this is particularly important if you have any contact with game birds, poultry or other captive birds.

On 22/11/2021 at 10:22, Marion Grierson said:

I found a dead Whooper swan 10 days ago whilst walking on the Craigs moss next to the Lochar water, 4 miles south of  Dumfries. Didn't think to report it then, but on reading of other wild fowl being found locally, I phoned the Defra number, apart from taking over 30 minutes for my call to be answered, it felt like a waste of time. The woman said there was no record of bird flu in this area at the moment, I told her I'd read a bbc article on that very subject, she however didn't know anything about that and had to establish whether to do a report, since it was 10 dys ago and the swan has since been eaten by foxes/badgers, so therefore not available for testing. A lot of effort for a very disappointing result.  Hope other reports are taken more seriously! 

A good thought Marion. You can only do your bit correctly? It is DEFRA after all who can be a bit disjointed at times?

Confirmed Chase Water now.

Edited by old man

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone following this here is the latest statement:

I thought I would let you know the dead bird count on the Caerlaverock NNR to date.

1098 dead barnacles (700 within the past 9 days)

25 dead pinks – (this number does not include pricked birds)

9 Whooper swans

8 gulls 

More recently we have seen ill waders – curlew (died) and grey plover.

Our carcass counts have included other species, but we have listed these separately as we cannot be certain that the cause has been avian flu.

In addition, we have a total of 83 sick birds on this week’s counts, mostly barnacle with a mix of pink footed geese and other birds making up the balance.  

Based on data gathered so far, the die off in the barnacle population around the Solway is 4000 geese, along with percentages similar to Caerlaverock NNR counts of other species. To note that given ground conditions and resource availability this has to be considered an undercount.

Last week, NatureScot, Natural England, RSPB and WWT met with the lead vet at the Animal and Plant Health Agency and the Scottish Government contact in Rural Affairs, Food and Environment. It was an opportunity to confirm the totals reported to DEFRA and to discuss the impact and implications of the findings around the Solway; you will probably have noticed a recent increase in the media coverage of the outbreak.  We will now continue direct contact with APHA and SG over the coming weeks to provide die off figures for the duration of this unprecedented outbreak.  It would be very helpful if you could continue to report any dead bird findings, out with the reserve boundary, via the DEFRA helpline - 03459 335577. 

If we hear of any guidance or advice changes we will pass these on as soon as we are aware.

Below is a reminder of the links to the guidance to help stay informed over the coming weeks.   

https://www.gov.scot/publications/avian-influenza-bird-flu/

https://www.gov.scot/publications/avian-influenza-bird-flu/pages/dead-or-sick-wild-birds-what-to-do/

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes a person has caught it near where I live ,he or she was in close contact with captive birds the human case had no symptoms.

On 16/12/2021 at 22:04, Dave at kelton said:

Last week, NatureScot, Natural England, RSPB and WWT met with the lead vet at the Animal and Plant Health Agency and the Scottish Government contact in Rural Affairs, Food and Environment. It was an opportunity to confirm the totals reported to DEFRA and to discuss the impact and implications of the findings around the Solway;

Notable absence (s) from this list is" representatives" from B'sAC,SACS, CA, et al..... No wonder the shooting man considers that these "organisations" do not represent their interests - just leave it to the anti-field sports organisations to be involved in a major avian welfare issue. 

Why oh Why do people buy memberships in these self-serving orgs.

PS - Thank you Dave at Kelton for providing this information. See B'sAC website for....diddly squat.

27 minutes ago, harkom said:

Notable absence (s) from this list is" representatives" from B'sAC,SACS, CA, et al..... No wonder the shooting man considers that these "organisations" do not represent their interests - just leave it to the anti-field sports organisations to be involved in a major avian welfare issue. 

Why oh Why do people buy memberships in these self-serving orgs.

PS - Thank you Dave at Kelton for providing this information. See B'sAC website for....diddly squat.

It’s on the Basc website and has been for ages I’ve been following from the start ! 
Why have you posted there is nothing on there website ?