Nice gun slip

Lloyd90

My partner needs something to get me for Xmas, and I am considering a nice gun slip. 

Am having a look at Teales. They look decent quality without the silly prices of some. 

Just wondering if it makes any difference if you go for zip or flat? I assume it’s just personal preference? 

Are they fairly rigid? I don’t want something that just folds / crumbles when you want to lean it in the shotgun stand whilst shooting the gun. 

This is one option: 

https://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/teales-cowhide-leather-gun-slip-buckle-flap/

Few more options: 

https://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/teales-devonshire-leather-buckle-flap-gun-slip/

https://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/teales-devonshire-leather-zip-around-gun-slip/

Quite like the canvas one as well: 

https://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/teales-huntsman-oiled-leather-khaki-canvas-30-inch-buckle-gun-slip/

Are there any functional benefits of going for leather? Or just preference once again? 

I have several bought over many years, often second hand'.  I have;

1. two Brady 'rexine' ones (Rexine is a sort of plastic imitation leather).  Both lined in (real) sheepskin and full length zips.  1st bought 1975 and has had a few repairs (inc new zip), but still in regular use.  The other bought second hand later.  Both fit a 28" s/s beautifully, but not 30".  Very good protection from knocks due to thick real sheepskin lining.  Very well made.  Now I think only made in real leather and expensive.
  2. two Brady canvas slips, flap over end types.  Light and convenient, but 'floppy' and limited protection.  Both bought second hand.  Well made.  Note, these can be either s/s or o/u oe (more recent ones) 'universal'.  Protection limited.
  3. a Quality Gunslips unlined (nice soft) leather flap type.  Bought new circa 1980, and though well made, leather now rather worn.  Hard to dry if soaked.  Protection limited.
  4. a Croots Malton zip and flap type.  Nice quality, well made and expensive.  Excellent outer leather and good 'woolly' lining give very good protection.  Only made in two lengths I think and the shorter (which mine is) is still rather too long.  Even my 30" gun 'flops about'.  Quite stiff (although not heavily used yet).

Overall, sheepskin lined thick outer give much better protection from knocks etc.  For light carrying only where risk of knocks is low, canvas is good and lighter, and dries much more easily.  In my view, a sleeve that fits the gun is a huge help.  My Croots is MUCH too long and won't go in a small car boot! (the others all do).  My 4 old Bradys do show that quality lasts.

Zips are occasional failure risks, but can be replaced if you can find someone to do it - but make drying easier.  Flaps are safer and lighter, but hard tyo dry a soaked flap type easily.  Unlined light, but little protection.  Heavy leather and thick lining gives much better protection.

Edited by JohnfromUK

57 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I have several bought over many years, often second hand'.  I have;

1. two Brady 'rexine' ones (Rexine is a sort of plastic imitation leather).  Both lined in (real) sheepskin and full length zips.  1st bought 1975 and has had a few repairs (inc new zip), but still in regular use.  The other bought second hand later.  Both fit a 28" s/s beautifully, but not 30".  Very good protection from knocks due to thick real sheepskin lining.  Very well made.  Now I think only made in real leather and expensive.
  2. two Brady canvas slips, flap over end types.  Light and convenient, but 'floppy' and limited protection.  Both bought second hand.  Well made.  Note, these can be either s/s or o/u oe (more recent ones) 'universal'.  Protection limited.
  3. a Quality Gunslips unlined (nice soft) leather flap type.  Bought new circa 1980, and though well made, leather now rather worn.  Hard to dry if soaked.  Protection limited.
  4. a Croots Malton zip and flap type.  Nice quality, well made and expensive.  Excellent outer leather and good 'woolly' lining give very good protection.  Only made in two lengths I think and the shorter (which mine is) is still rather too long.  Even my 30" gun 'flops about'.  Quite stiff (although not heavily used yet).

Overall, sheepskin lined thick outer give much better protection from knocks etc.  For light carrying only where risk of knocks is low, canvas is good and lighter, and dries much more easily.  In my view, a sleeve that fits the gun is a huge help.  My Croots is MUCH too long and won't go in a small car boot! (the others all do).  My 4 old Bradys do show that quality lasts.

Zips are occasional failure risks, but can be replaced if you can find someone to do it - but make drying easier.  Flaps are safer and lighter, but hard tyo dry a soaked flap type easily.  Unlined light, but little protection.  Heavy leather and thick lining gives much better protection.

Very good summary. My go to is a leather, zip sided sheepskin lined now twenty years old. Loads of protection for the gun, easy to dry and never had an issue with the zip which is heavy duty nylon.

I have several as I'm quite picky. 

Full grain leather, sheepskin lined, brass zipped, buckles and flaps.

Cordura, sheepskin lined, brass zipped.

El-cheapos, in case I need to slip a gun in the field, ie: long walk to hide with too much gear. Some lined but often with foam. Some have zips with hand sewn repairs or replacement straps.

I always have a dry padded slip in the car for transport home on wet days.

Most slips let you down by the shoulder straps first. Either too short, non adjustable or not stiched heavy enough. They would all benefit from not having the strap from the edge but rather the middle. 

Brass zips don't rust but metal does. Plastic can break.

Tips need extra reinforcement or a second layer that covers a good few inches.  

Shop around, you don't have to pay the Phillip Morris price for leather. Some are absolutely brilliant in name only.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Merkel said:

I cannot recommend the following people enough their slips are very, very good quality and customer care brilliant. they are not cheap but they are there at the end of a phone.

https://www.gunslips.co.uk/about.html

Yes, one of mine is by them and has been good.  Made for me unlined and with flap.

Below is an example of what I mean by length; the gun is a 28" barrel o/u with about 14 1/2 'pull'.  Slips are a 'nominal' 28" Brady from 1975 which fits beautifully and a modern recent nominal 30" Croots - which allows a lot of 'slop'.

Brady.jpeg

Croots.jpeg

I have a Croots dark oak. Don't get one. It's incredibly hard to pick your gun out of the rack. I had to hang a big pink fluffy pom pom on it to stop the old chap on my syndicate taking it. Mine doesn't have a buckle, so needs a bit of extra care game shooting. Buckles for clay shooting are an annoyance. 

4 minutes ago, JDog said:

Whatever you get make sure it has a full length zip so that the slip can be opened up and placed over a radiator after a wet day.

Sorry but unless it is a canvas slip you will ruin the leather if it's dried on a radiator! Leave it to dry in a warm room slowly or else you will have cracked leather.

Teales slips are exceptionally good quality for the price, they are also thickly padded and so very protective. A good leather dressing is essential - not Neatsfoot oil - use Effax or a similar natural balm that feeds the leather.

27 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I have a Croots dark oak. Don't get one. It's incredibly hard to pick your gun out of the rack. I had to hang a big pink fluffy pom pom on it to stop the old chap on my syndicate taking it.

I passed on the pink Pom Pom and had my initials embossed in big letters so I could find my slip easily.

https://www.philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/teales-cowhide-leather-gun-slip-buckle-flap/

I think I will go for the cowhide, as it comes with both zip and buckle. 

My guns are either 28” or 30”, so I will go for the 30” bag rather than the 32” (initially wasn’t sure if any benefit for going a bit longer but appears not. 

1 hour ago, Bungle The Bear said:

I've had a Teal,s leather zip and flap for around 6 years it's heavily used, and is still in perfect condition, I do look after it by cleaning and feeding the leather though, for the money you won't find better imo

Did you get the cowhide one? 

Can’t see any of the others having both zip and flap. 

Nice to hear that :) 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Thank you 

Not found a website but did find a FB page and have sent them an enquiry. 

My mistake it was a facebook page not a website that I found.

Hopefully they will reply to your enquiry.

OB

• 2 weeks later...