Good question?

Scully

An appeal for a donkey sanctuary appeared on the tv, and while the woman who’s business it was spoke, it showed in the background dozens and dozens of donkies running across a field, all living at her sanctuary. 
OH asked ‘ why are there so many donkies around today, especially as it would seem they aren’t wanted?’ Good question I thought. 
Anyone know? 

I think they are removed from all around the world and brought over to the United Kingdom for sanctuary and to live out their days being cared for. I think some of the places where they come from set them loose when they become I’ll or too old to be of any use as a beast of burden………. They can’t all be from The seaside  can they 😳🏖

I guess the same reason there are so many dogs and cats in rescue centres.breeders will keep breedingvthrm so the idiots who think it would be nice to have one keep buying.once they have one the work and expense involved is to much so they end up being taken in.i have had horses all my life and know what it takes.

4 minutes ago, Rookandrabbit said:

I think they are removed from all around the world and brought over to the United Kingdom for sanctuary and to live out their days being cared for. I think some of the places where they come from set them loose when they become I’ll or too old to be of any use as a beast of burden………. They can’t all be from The seaside  can they 😳🏖

The seaside was the only use I could think of where a donkey could be put to work, in the UK at least! 

As Bostonmick says, they’re all to pay for via keep and vets bills, like any other pets, but at least horses have a use and a value. 

2 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

I guess the same reason there are so many dogs and cats in rescue centres.breeders will keep breedingvthrm so the idiots who think it would be nice to have one keep buying.once they have one the work and expense involved is to much so they end up being taken in.i have had horses all my life and know what it takes.

My thoughts aswell , were there is a market they will breed them , people buy them people get bored . Donkeys are a social  creature  and like the company of other donkey  so they get bored aswell . I meet this one when I go to the farm to buy eggs.  The farmers makes good money hiring it out to stud , donkey very happy 

20210224_132130.jpg

I could only think of the seaside when I was a kid it was donkey rides and candy floss but just thought about the circus🎪they used to be advertised everywhere years ago with donkeys and elephants but that would imply elephant sanctuaries also should be everywhere so I guess bostonmick is more to the point in what he says……….. guess the same reason there are so many dogs and cats in rescue centres.breeders will keep breedingvthrm so the idiots who think it would be nice to have one keep buying.once they have one the work and expense involved is to much so they end up being taken in.i have had horses all my life and know what it takes.

20 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

34 minutes ago, Rookandrabbit said:

This.

The Sanctuary is just up the road and is well worth a visit if you're down this - Sidmouth - way. There are no car parking or entrance fees, the souvenir shop is not full of junk and the food is superb and not over-priced. From what you'll discover, you WILL want to chuck a few quid in the box

1 hour ago, Scully said:

An appeal for a donkey sanctuary appeared on the tv, and while the woman who’s business it was spoke, it showed in the background dozens and dozens of donkies running across a field, all living at her sanctuary. 
OH asked ‘ why are there so many donkies around today, especially as it would seem they aren’t wanted?’ Good question I thought. 
Anyone know? 

Yes.

But if you go online and view the accounts of such places you'll usually see someone makes a jolly good living out of it. You can view the accounts yourself and scroll down to page 55. Here's a cut and paste for those that have better things to do.

Best to put any cups of tea or coffee to one side before looking!

In 2020 that's £22 Million on salary and pension contribution costs out of a total income of (if I read the accounts correctly) £36 Million.

What we'd call a pretty good crack here in the East Midlands.

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/sites/uk/files/2021-10/_report-and-accounts-2020.pdf

Donkeys.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

7 minutes ago, wymberley said:

This.

The Sanctuary is just up the road and is well worth a visit if you're down this - Sidmouth - way. There are no car parking or entrance fees, the souvenir shop is not full of junk and the food is superb and not over-priced. From what you'll discover, you WILL want to chuck a few quid in the box

Their breakfast is one of the main reasons I go when down visiting family, have a static right next to the sanctuary so it's a littl stroll up the lane, OH likes to see the Donks and I get fed, win.... 

They do alot of work abroad, I'd not be surprised that some are rescue animals from abroad 

15 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. Because if you go online and view the accounts of such places you'll usually see someone makes a pretty good living out of it. 

Should Scully's post refer to 'The Donkey Sanctuary', as you may have twigged from my previous post, I'm sorry but I have to say in my opinion that on this occasion you're out of order.

I should say I have absolutely nothing against donkies or those who run donkey sanctuaries, I just wondered why there were so many around when they don’t really have a use. Even if kept as pets you need a paddock, which doesn’t apply for the likes of dogs or cats. 
Thanks all. 👍

2 hours ago, Rookandrabbit said:

That reply rings a bell! Wait a minute, brought to the U.K. sounds familiar doesnt it,  just like the immigrants brought over here to live out their days being cared for.  You have hit nail right on head.