Smk

Ultrastu

So I fancied this week an open sighted springer .I was reminded how much fun a simple break barrel with opens can be while round at a friend's last weekend plinking with his boys at cans and apples . I didn't want to spend a lot of money but still wanted a half decent trigger (the absolute  most important part of a gun imo.) Day glow sights  and a full power action .

Most  cheap (£100 - 200 ) Chinese or Turkish springers have TERRIBLE  triggers and a lot use similar actions based on a gamo action .(including the  latest bsa meteor)  which is pants and they tend to TWANG  badly. 

Anyway I took a trip down to my friend Trevor in weston super mare .and tried a few candidates . And walked away with a Smk xs20 . This is not a poor gun with bad trigger .just the opposite infact . It's a Chinese copy of a weirauch hw 95  .

It's not identical  but when copying such a good gun you end up with something that's pretty good .

Suffice to say .for £170  this gun is smooth to cock .solidly built ,  accurate , no twang and has a lovely 2 stage  trigger that you don't think about at all you just shoot It. 

I set the open sights up in my garden at 15 yds (the muzzle report isnt too bad at all in .22 cal ) and after 5 shot to get it  on bull, it put the next 8 pellets in a ragged hole  - super domes . Awesome .

Today I took it down the farm and the chrono (all pellets  jsb rws h+n ) did around 11.4 fpe  and set about zeroing at 20 yds .

It put in a 20 mm group with rws hobbys .

So I them boshed a few cans and plastic bottles about free standing shots and just had fun shooting it .- which is its primary function in my cabinet  .

It's a bit weighty at 3.4 kg but it makes for a tame recoil and easy peasy accuracy .

If anyone is in the market for a sub 200 quid springer this is an excellent  option .

20211120_161437.jpg

20211120_161615.jpg

20211120_161541.jpg

It cannot be any good cos it's cheap Chinese rubbish, made of monkey metal blah, blah, blah. 90% of people knock SMK and 90% of those have never laid there hands on one, these guns are built to fill a need and they do so admirably, climb up the SMK ladder a little and things get even better with their budget PCP Rifles and Pistols particularly the Snowpeak/Artemis offerings. As said, it should be all about fun/enjoyment and you don't need a regulated, laminated, computer controlled multi option £2000+ puffgun to have a laugh with your mates.

On 21/11/2021 at 19:24, Ultrastu said:

So I fancied this week an open sighted springer .I was reminded how much fun a simple break barrel with opens can be while round at a friend's last weekend plinking with his boys at cans and apples . I didn't want to spend a lot of money but still wanted a half decent trigger (the absolute  most important part of a gun imo.) Day glow sights  and a full power action .

Most  cheap (£100 - 200 ) Chinese or Turkish springers have TERRIBLE  triggers and a lot use similar actions based on a gamo action .(including the  latest bsa meteor)  which is pants and they tend to TWANG  badly. 

Anyway I took a trip down to my friend Trevor in weston super mare .and tried a few candidates . And walked away with a Smk xs20 . This is not a poor gun with bad trigger .just the opposite infact . It's a Chinese copy of a weirauch hw 95  .

It's not identical  but when copying such a good gun you end up with something that's pretty good .

Suffice to say .for £170  this gun is smooth to cock .solidly built ,  accurate , no twang and has a lovely 2 stage  trigger that you don't think about at all you just shoot It. 

I set the open sights up in my garden at 15 yds (the muzzle report isnt too bad at all in .22 cal ) and after 5 shot to get it  on bull, it put the next 8 pellets in a ragged hole  - super domes . Awesome .

Today I took it down the farm and the chrono (all pellets  jsb rws h+n ) did around 11.4 fpe  and set about zeroing at 20 yds .

It put in a 20 mm group with rws hobbys .

So I them boshed a few cans and plastic bottles about free standing shots and just had fun shooting it .- which is its primary function in my cabinet  .

It's a bit weighty at 3.4 kg but it makes for a tame recoil and easy peasy accuracy .

If anyone is in the market for a sub 200 quid springer this is an excellent  option .

20211120_161437.jpg

20211120_161615.jpg

20211120_161541.jpg

Is that Trevor at MD models/ Weston Guns? If it is, he’s a nice chap, had a couple of good natters with him before.

So I thought I'd find the best pellet for my smk with open sights .

So just now in the garden (wind blowing like crazy horses .) I tried super domes .super h points and hobbys . I want cheap and good for making big holes in tin cans 😆.

Easy winner is the hobbys  . They are the cheapest lightest make the biggest hole and shoot the nicest and most accurately  .

Funny that as I've always found hobbys shoot well out of most my. 22 guns and in .177 also for that matter  

I'd say the group below is sub 1 inch and without the far left hole it's an 1/2 group .

Screenshot_20211127-120108_Gallery.jpg

22 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

So I thought I'd find the best pellet for my smk with open sights .

So just now in the garden (wind blowing like crazy horses .) I tried super domes .super h points and hobbys . I want cheap and good for making big holes in tin cans 😆.

Easy winner is the hobbys  . They are the cheapest lightest make the biggest hole and shoot the nicest and most accurately  .

Funny that as I've always found hobbys shoot well out of most my. 22 guns and in .177 also for that matter  

I'd say the group below is sub 1 inch and without the far left hole it's an 1/2 group .

Screenshot_20211127-120108_Gallery.jpg

Looks like decent value for money that xs20. Any idea how they compare to the Remington express and sabre? I’ve read good reviews on those too.

I think the remingtons are pretty good  having test fired a couple,  they are long and heavy though .but the triggers seem nice and the recoil tame with little twang  .

One thing I did notice yesterday while plinking is that the barrel isn't in dead line with the cylinder on my smk.

It looks like it's got barrel droop when the barrel points down wards a bit .being brand new it's obviously got a  nice tight lock-up .

So this would make zeroing a scope (fitted to the cylinder  ) a bit tricky as it would take a lot of vertical  adjustment  to get on target . This however  for me isn't an issue as I have no intention of using a scope on mine . As the opens are fixed to the barrel and will always point where the barrel is pointing . 

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

I think the remingtons are pretty good  having test fired a couple,  they are long and heavy though .but the triggers seem nice and the recoil tame with little twang  .

One thing I did notice yesterday while plinking is that the barrel isn't in dead line with the cylinder on my smk.

It looks like it's got barrel droop when the barrel points down wards a bit .being brand new it's obviously got a  nice tight lock-up .

So this would make zeroing a scope (fitted to the cylinder  ) a bit tricky as it would take a lot of vertical  adjustment  to get on target . This however  for me isn't an issue as I have no intention of using a scope on mine . As the opens are fixed to the barrel and will always point where the barrel is pointing . 

HW35 was known for barrel droop if I remember correctly? As you say, using open sights fixed to the barrel it’ll make no difference 👍

The group above was actually shot at  24 yds .

I was round at a mates house working today .when I had finished we got my smk out set up some cans and set about nocking them over .

I had dad,  mum and both his kids out having a go . Smiles all round  .and with no tricky scopes to look through they could all hit the bean tins  with a very satisfying thump .👍