Old engineers tool box Inc tools

hodge911

Just testing the water .

I have inherited an old wooden tool box of engineering tools .

It has drawers of old small imperial taps . Calipers . Pliers micrometer, protractor/ combination set ( Moore and Wright make) clamps ect I'll get some pics taken today .

Now this is where I'm trusting / asking the P/W crew for what would be a fair asking asking price for it . I know it impossible until you see what's there

The box is damaged but repairable . The tools are all in excellent condition .

But to to stay within the rules I'll put a price up but just to stay in rules £150

Hi I’d say the box is probably have a value , the tooling however probably less so , as nearly everything these days is metric , pliers , clamps even micrometers are bought cheaply these days , even if you could find enough people left in the industry that can read analog verniers and mics etc , when digital ones are so much easier to use , best bet to look on flee bay for a rough guide , 

45 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Hi I’d say the box is probably have a value , the tooling however probably less so , as nearly everything these days is metric , pliers , clamps even micrometers are bought cheaply these days , even if you could find enough people left in the industry that can read analog verniers and mics etc , when digital ones are so much easier to use , best bet to look on flee bay for a rough guide , 

:good:

There's a reason why the Mk1 eyeball doesn't need a battery.

Like people say most of these tools only go for a few pounds each unless they are a bit rare. The other thing to think about is condition. Precision tools that are not in top condition are no longer precision tools and therefore worthless. I would be interested in looking what you have, mainly as I do like these old things. Box depends on quality and condition. A good quality hardwood box in good condition can be worth quite a bit.

TBH, I would say the value is in the box which is quite nice, there will always be odd bits that people want but I doubt they would pay a lot for the whole thing to get it, try it at a local auction, things tend to find their value at auction.

2 minutes ago, ozalid said:

TBH, I would say the value is in the box which is quite nice, there will always be odd bits that people want but I doubt they would pay a lot for the whole thing to get it, try it at a local auction, things tend to find their value at auction.

I would agree with that. I buy a few old tools at my local auctions and people do seem to spend money on the wooden cabinets.

I think if everything was sold as one lot it would go for less than if the cabinet was sold as one item and the variuos tools were split up into several lots.

I've picked up a few micrometers over the years and even old and heavily used ones seem to be accurate. On a good day I'd say there's more than £150 worth of stuff there.

If you register with something like www.easyliveauction.com you can see historical prices of previous lots, might give you an idea of value if you have any rarer items.

Ive still got my late fathers home made engineers toolbox in the garage, it’s crammed with tools, micrometers etc all kinds of stuff, its largely worthless but I like to open it up and think about him from time to time, I suppose my son will dump it when I’m gone lol