Black Friday finds - share the love

HantsRob

20 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I never really thought you guys would have Black Friday sales over there as it’s it started because stores close for Thanksgiving and open back up the day after.  Do you all get together for Thanksgiving also?  I honestly thought that Black Friday was a USA thing.  

Yeah pity it didn’t stay there 🤔 but like everything ( usually to do with greed and share holders ) if they can see £$ attached to anything , location goes out of the window and the majority of people who are sheep think they’re missing out on something and so the merry go around continues 

3 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I never really thought you guys would have Black Friday sales over there as it’s it started because stores close for Thanksgiving and open back up the day after.  Do you all get together for Thanksgiving also?  I honestly thought that Black Friday was a USA thing.  

We don’t have a family get together as Thanks Giving isn’t part of UK celebrations.

But ‘Happy Holidays’ to you and your family. 

5 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

It only started a few years ago over here, I imagine it was some of the international retailers offering the sale opportunities to all countries, now pretty much every company has jumped on it and as usual over here (maybe in the US too) it's an opportunity to get rid of stuff that usually doesn't sell by making it appear to be a bargain

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59380453

However, I do like the MDT & optics-trade sales, the items I bought from them have been genuine bargains.

I've had a few holidays in the USA at Thanksgiving time (started with New York), the atmosphere was great at the parades 

On 23/11/2021 at 03:45, Jaymo said:

We don’t have a family get together as Thanks Giving isn’t part of UK celebrations.

But ‘Happy Holidays’ to you and your family. 

Thanks, and to yours.  

On 23/11/2021 at 05:21, Deker said:

It only started a few years ago over here, I imagine it was some of the international retailers offering the sale opportunities to all countries, now pretty much every company has jumped on it and as usual over here (maybe in the US too) it's an opportunity to get rid of stuff that usually doesn't sell by making it appear to be a bargain

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59380453

However, I do like the MDT & optics-trade sales, the items I bought from them have been genuine bargains.

I've had a few holidays in the USA at Thanksgiving time (started with New York), the atmosphere was great at the parades 

Last year I got a $99USD Ruger 10/22 form Walmart.  They had them for $99 at Rural King Garden Center and people were standing in line fighting form them.  I went to Walmart and they price matched it.  😎

13 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Thanks, and to yours.  

Last year I got a $99USD Ruger 10/22 form Walmart.  They had them for $99 at Rural King Garden Center and people were standing in line fighting form them.  I went to Walmart and they price matched it.  😎

its about time ASDA started selling stuff like that here🤣

Apparently it is all a scam. Which did a survey of 100 items / products and there were only 4 of them that were cheaper.  The other 96 items could be bought cheaper either before black Friday or after the day. How do people feel about being ripped off.?  Well mostly they are ripped off most of the time so what's New.

23 minutes ago, Minky said:

Apparently it is all a scam. Which did a survey of 100 items / products and there were only 4 of them that were cheaper.  The other 96 items could be bought cheaper either before black Friday or after the day. How do people feel about being ripped off.?  Well mostly they are ripped off most of the time so what's New.

Yes and no,  here in the USA. Many stores sell products at a loss.  Select products and in limited number.  A example is Home Depot had tool boxes for $799.  Each store had 30 of them to sell at that price.  My cousin works there and unit cost was $815 and the normal price was $999.  But Lowe’s had a similar box in their sales ad for $849.  So HD was taking a $16 lost on them.  

12 hours ago, Minky said:

I did hear similar on the radio a few days back. A report commissioned by such and such regulator found that the vast majority of products offered in the BF sale had been on sale at some point in the weeks leading up to BF at the same or lower cost that was offered as a part of the BF sale.

In the UK at least it's just a method of reminding people that they are approaching or have just had their last payday before Christmas and that they should immediately spent every last penny to avoid potential disappointment.

When was the last time your purchased a product at RRP? It seems to be the done thing in today's retail environment to have an artificially inflated RRP so that the actual sale price looks attractive. It goads you into thinking you're about to get a good deal when in reality the price your paying is roughly the Intended list price for that product. The latest Uttings email blast for example lists plenty of items at what seems like extraordinarily low prices (compared with the listed RRP) but most items can be found elsewhere at the same or better price.

The only reasonable chance you have of getting a good deal is end of season (buying a thick wildfowling coat in March for example)but even those sales are becoming increasingly scam like as retailers are becoming more willing to hold on to stock that isn't subject to yearly product line changes/ updates.

15 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

🤣😂 they’re doing 12% off if that’s any good to you “BF12” at checkout 

£2-3 is still a few quid off, is that one of the 4 out of a thousand genuine "cheaper" deals? :D

I needed some anyway, so every little helps. Just need to work out if the 5db difference between passive and switch will even make a difference?.....

And now I see they now charge £15 rather than offer a free home service. Ok, scrub it being cheaper lol

We had a new carpet fitted the other week. Bought direct from one of the carpet emporiums - I forget which one because there's only so many shades of beige with pretentious names I can look at before in zone out. The fitter it a self employed chap that has a contract with them to fit their carpets. He got talking to Mrs BTJ about the prices and what not. Apparently the carpets only have to be listed at RRP for a minimum of 6 weeks and can then perpetually be on sale for the rest of the commercial life of that carpet. I'd imagine its the same for most retail stuff it has to be at a higher price for 6 weeks before it's discounted even if the BF discount is less than a previous discount such as @Aledslowcooker.

On 25/11/2021 at 13:23, Aled said:

Bought a slow cooker a few years special offer Argos £22.99, price went up to £32.99 the following week, 6 weeks later Black Friday price....£28.99. Take what you wish from my comments. 

Sounds about right. The cost only has to be higher for X number of days before they can reduce it to what ever they like and normally other savings in the year are better