Ruby v Truglo fibre beads

Pullmark

2 hours ago, Pullmark said:

Agreed, but in my case they do provide confidence in knowing that the gun is correctly mounted when the red light is seen in your peripheral vision.

You just need to practise your mount correctly until it becomes second nature, at home, on a regular basis, and then when in the field, muscle memory does the rest and you don’t even have to think about it. 
Having a good day doesn’t mean you can stop practising. 

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

You just need to practise your mount correctly until it becomes second nature, at home, on a regular basis, and then when in the field, muscle memory does the rest and you don’t even have to think about it. 

This ^^^^^ Practice practice practice and pictures. I have removed all the beads off most of my guns and just look at the target and the sight picture that brings the bird down. 

I have used both for about the last 25 years. When i changed guns, it helped me ensure I had the gun mounted properly. Once fitted, I have never noticed them whilst actually shooting. I seem to be in a minority, but they helped me.

A friend of mine, the late Graham Stephens used to import and sell the Ruby sights. After his death, his son carried on for a while but they seem to have a new importer. No difference between the two makes - Ruby had better packaging and were about half the Truglo price. That differntial seems to have disappeared.

If you must have one - get the cheapest.

Can be helpful with eye dominance (Right handed/Master Left eye) I have fitted an EasyHitBead to my Granddaughter’s A400 and have seen a good improvement with her overall Clay hits, also noted that it does help with a beginner getting the gun mounted,level etc. Good in low light conditions, cheap robust and easy to fit. Not all shooters can focus on the the clay, and if a bright bead assists the correct position of the barrels and enables a successful ‘hit’ ,why not?? 

I do not have one of these gadgets but when the subject crops up a little unanswered query raises it’s head. So, I thought I would pose the question here. And, please chaps, don’t knock the afflicted……….

A shooter has a 30” barrel shotgun and has become used to shooting by way of the manufacturers little bead at the end of the barrel. The shooter replaces the bead with a ruby / truglow gadget. Let’s say about 2” long. When the shooter now looks at the red dot to assist his / her shooting it is 2” closer to his / her eyes than the original bead. Does this have the effect of “shortening” the barrel by 2” and shooting as if with a 28” barrel?

Thanks

And only the other day someone posted that there was no such thing as a silly question! Do you really imagine that shortening/lengthening the barrel would make any difference to how you should take a shot.  
To be honest, if you even noticed that the little bead had fallen off you would be doing something wrong. Look at the bird!

1 hour ago, London Best said:

And only the other day someone posted that there was no such thing as a silly question! Do you really imagine that shortening/lengthening the barrel would make any difference to how you should take a shot.  
To be honest, if you even noticed that the little bead had fallen off you would be doing something wrong. Look at the bird!

Thank you for you lecture in response to my hypothetical question. I will treat it with the contempt it so richly deserves.

7 hours ago, Bobba said:

I do not have one of these gadgets but when the subject crops up a little unanswered query raises it’s head. So, I thought I would pose the question here. And, please chaps, don’t knock the afflicted……….

A shooter has a 30” barrel shotgun and has become used to shooting by way of the manufacturers little bead at the end of the barrel. The shooter replaces the bead with a ruby / truglow gadget. Let’s say about 2” long. When the shooter now looks at the red dot to assist his / her shooting it is 2” closer to his / her eyes than the original bead. Does this have the effect of “shortening” the barrel by 2” and shooting as if with a 28” barrel?

Thanks

No. As LB has said, it would make no difference at all. 

On 02/12/2021 at 09:34, Bobba said:

Thanks

No, I don’t think that applies, as I shoot with an Easy Hit and with out, once you become accustomed to the changes of the bead it tends to help not hinder!

• 1 month later...

Personally I think any gadget, whether it works for everyone or even anyone for that matter, if you as a shooter perceive that it helps you then it works, I have one fitted and it helps. I do not see it when shooting but if pre-mounting for a target it helps with making sure or reassuring me my mount is good, or a very lazy hanging incomer I use notice it and it helps as I think in that situation I can track that easy to rifle the shot. I don't use it to line my gun up against a flying target. Even if the gadget just is a physiological advantage. 

Edited by retromlc

On 22/11/2021 at 20:12, Scully said:

This in spades!

Personally if I bought a gun with a glowing fibre optic bead, I would remove it to avoid any distraction from the bird. 

On 02/12/2021 at 12:35, London Best said:

My bead fell off my Beretta and i never even noticed it was missing until i was putting the gun back in its slip.

Like fishing the shooting world is full of gimmicks.

Years ago rather than remove my bead I araldited a tiny blob of dull black plastic midway down the rib of my Beretta. It is just big enough to cover the bead with an out-of-focus amorphous glob when the gun is mounted correctly. Therefore I can only see the bead if the gun is mounted incorrectly. I’ve not really noticed either the bead being seen or unseen for a very long time now and would probably remove it if I had the time and desire. 

Edited by WalkedUp

some people find it easier to relate gun to clay with a more visible bead/sight.  i have had many clients over the years who prefer a brighter more visible one and especially those with eye dominance issues they can be a huge plus.   if you shoot with one eye closed the easy hit type of bead can open up a whole new world to you if used correctly..