rescue dogs ears

charlie b

i visited a friend today who was looking after a friends rescue beagle its in good shape physically but its nervous as can be and barks none stop if left alone i am sure it will come good .my question is its got a notch about one inch deep and half an inch wide cut  into the tip of each ear any ideas why it would have been done its a dog about four years old

I can't help with your friends dog Charlie,   but my daughter took in a rescue dog some time ago ,  and some vile xxxx had tried to cut its ears to presumably make him look more aggressive . They got it wrong and just cut his ears off .  The poor dog was in a terrified state when she got him , but given time ,  and a lot of attention,   he's turning into a lovely dog.

I cannot say about the notches but regarding taking on a rescue dog then I have friends in the village who, 12 months ago took in a rescue hound and initially this lovely dog was very timid. They worked very hard and took it for walks around the village so everyone they met could befriend the dog and I saw her this week and it was a different dog. She came to me to have her ears scratched and some cuddle and her coat shone.  It takes a lot of time and patience and ask people not to approach the dog directly, let the dog come to them and hopefully as with our local hound it will come to enjoy life.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I can't help with your friends dog Charlie,   but my daughter took in a rescue dog some time ago ,  and some vile xxxx had tried to cut its ears to presumably make him look more aggressive . They got it wrong and just cut his ears off .  The poor dog was in a terrified state when she got him , but given time ,  and a lot of attention,   he's turning into a lovely dog.

Wouldn’t you just like to have caught them doing it?

Just a quick google - Was the dog brought in from abroad.

Notched ear on a dog mean?

Image result for dog notch cut in ears reason

In dogs, ear-notching (cutting a chunk out of the ear and then sealing the wound with heat cautery) is the most common way of identifying stray and feral animals that have been vaccinated and surgically sterilized.