Am I right or wrong

snow white

Hi lads when I lived in the midlands I used to organise boat fishing trips and charge everybody the same price including me all payed the same when I moved up here I started organising driven shooting days and still payed the same as all the other guns.

I was asked to make the numbers up on a driven day last week I had spoken to the keeper in the week about me getting a team of guns for a day so I asked him how much for the full day it was £5000 so ten guns pay £500 each 

the lad that asked me to make up the numbers came up to me after the shot had finished and asked me for £550 so I asked him how it came to that and all he could say that’s the price the keeper was standing about 5 yards away so I asked him how much for the day and he said £5000 so I just gave the lad £500 he was making £450 out of his friends did I do right just giving him £500 I didn’t say anything to the other guns but I don’t like being ripped off.

Yes now about checking game cart this nothing to do with keeper.it’s the toe rag that organised it don’t think he will be asking me again.

why have people got to make something every time they do something if you keep ripping your mates of you want be going shooting as they want trust you and they want invite you.

Good for you. 👍

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

also....ALWAYS check the game cart at the beginning of the day....to check it is empty...........just sayin like 

My nephew and his mates nearly got caught out with that one, but it was birds already hanging in the larder, not the game cart. 🙂

have shot on shoots  after the first drive cold game on the cart  ok lads count what you kill  game keeper come here look at this  we shoot we pay  whats in the hedge from yesterday with a different colour string bought from a neighbouring shoot we are not paying  for               all counted we paid for what we shot nout else              you have been had  over by a scrote  he paid for a days shooting if he couldnt shoot its his problem      he pays and he never comes back     

Edited by Saltings

Slightly off topic but I would be very aware to the possibility of pegged birds getting put into the bag. I realise a few will always be pegged by beaters dogs etc. But on a high bird shoot strategically placed pickers up in the landing zone with ‘sharp’ dogs can add considerably to the bag. And they are warm.

On 23/11/2021 at 13:52, snow white said:

Hi lads when I lived in the midlands I used to organise boat fishing trips and charge everybody the same price including me all payed the same when I moved up here I started organising driven shooting days and still payed the same as all the other guns.

I was asked to make the numbers up on a driven day last week I had spoken to the keeper in the week about me getting a team of guns for a day so I asked him how much for the full day it was £5000 so ten guns pay £500 each 

the lad that asked me to make up the numbers came up to me after the shot had finished and asked me for £550 so I asked him how it came to that and all he could say that’s the price the keeper was standing about 5 yards away so I asked him how much for the day and he said £5000 so I just gave the lad £500 he was making £450 out of his friends did I do right just giving him £500 I didn’t say anything to the other guns but I don’t like being ripped off.

Your problem there is that you didn't agree the price with the person organising the team. They were selling the peg at £550. You demanded wholesale price but you weren't buying wholesale.

I don't have a problem with people taking a cut, but usually those of us who do have the sense to make sure our friends are still getting market rate on the price. I've had some excellent days when the person doing the work got a free or subsidised shoot, and having been that person myself, if you do the work and take the risk, you deserve the reward. Friends don't gouge friends, but then friends don't expect other friends to work for free. 

I didn’t say he was a friend 

If the keeper/owner tells my the price I am not paying somebody extra just to line his pocket and why does everybody have to make money out of everything they do 

making nine phone calls to ask you if you want a days shooting doesn’t work out to £450 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/11/2021 at 15:57, ehb102 said:

Your problem there is that you didn't agree the price with the person organising the team. They were selling the peg at £550. You demanded wholesale price but you weren't buying wholesale.

I don't have a problem with people taking a cut, but usually those of us who do have the sense to make sure our friends are still getting market rate on the price. I've had some excellent days when the person doing the work got a free or subsidised shoot, and having been that person myself, if you do the work and take the risk, you deserve the reward. Friends don't gouge friends, but then friends don't expect other friends to work for free. 

There is a big difference between a ‘shooting agent’ and a casual ‘fancy a days shooting?’ type of scenario. I think the OPs experience was very much in the latter context. The problem as you say, was that the price and arrangement (contract) was never clarified with the organiser. Having said that, the organiser really should have done this also.

I’ve paid ‘fixers’ before - in the salmon fishing world. This is when I’m getting access to something special that I otherwise wouldn’t be able to buy myself. However, if I’m taking a bunch of people fishing, which they could have booked themselves,  I wouldn’t dream of charging them extra. It’s basically just a shared cost and sub-letting just isn’t cricket I’m afraid.