Scope on a springer

harrycatcat1

I am thinking of putting scopes on my old BSA meteor, being a skinflint this has caught my eye. What do you think 🤔  pro's and cons please.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPA-4x20-Air-Rifle-Telescopic-Sight-Scope-With-3-8-11mm-Dovetail-Mounts-/234231891409?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited to say, to be mainly used for shooting rats and squirrels. 

Edited by harrycatcat1

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

harrycatcat1, 

Depending on the age of your “OLD” Meteor you may find that 11mm scope mounts don’t fit. The very early Meteors had a larger dovetail.

I think mine was bought about 1968 ish. Nevertheless I have some mounts that fit the rails from a previous project if the new ones didn't fit. Another alternative?

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/gamo-4x32-air-rifle-scope-11mm-dovetail-mount-telescopic-sight-hunting-ve4x32wr.html

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

How do you calculate "better and up to the job" please ? I am no expert on scopes that's the reason for my question.

If I can hit a squirrel at 20-25 yards I will be happy 😊 what do you think?

I’m no expert either but you want something that’ll let a decent amount of light in , take a look on you tube and see what people recommend , I think AAR did a review on budget scopes along with a lot of things it can be a minefield but as they say buy the best you can afford 

3 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I am thinking of putting scopes on my old BSA meteor, being a skinflint this has caught my eye. What do you think 🤔  pro's and cons please.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPA-4x20-Air-Rifle-Telescopic-Sight-Scope-With-3-8-11mm-Dovetail-Mounts-/234231891409?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited to say, to be mainly used for shooting rats and squirrels. 

That scope will be next to useless .

Thats not some sort of snobbery on my part . I've got maybe 2 of those in boxes that came free with crosman rat catchers .

They have never ever been on a gun as I can see more when u look down a drinking straw .please don't waste your money  

A nice cheap 4x32 from smk for about £25  will be 100 times better .

So much so that I've got 3 of them on cheap little plinkers that I have. 

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I think mine was bought about 1968 ish. Nevertheless I have some mounts that fit the rails from a previous project if the new ones didn't fit. Another alternative?

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/gamo-4x32-air-rifle-scope-11mm-dovetail-mount-telescopic-sight-hunting-ve4x32wr.html

That will do just fine  🙂

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Thats not some sort of snobbery on my part . I've got maybe 2 of those in boxes that came free with crosman rat catchers .

They have never ever been on a gun as I can see more when u look down a drinking straw .please don't waste your money  

Thank you very much for being candid, that's just the advice that I was looking for 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👌👌

10 hours ago, sam triple said:

I’m no expert either but you want something that’ll let a decent amount of light in , take a look on you tube and see what people recommend , I think AAR did a review on budget scopes along with a lot of things it can be a minefield but as they say buy the best you can afford 

Thanks for posting that video it's good to be able to understand in plain English 👍👍👍

16 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Think this one would be better or ok it's an SMK one? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373790334966?hash=item5707a3dff6:g:Dc0AAOSwPuZhj4lz

5 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Think this one would be better or ok it's an SMK one? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373790334966?hash=item5707a3dff6:g:Dc0AAOSwPuZhj4lz

Got this reply from JS Ramsbottom when I asked what scope they would recommend for a BSA Meteor 🙄🙄

"Hi, sorry non of our sights or mounts will suit - we've tried numerous
options in the past with no success."

they have just clarified that it's the mounts that might not fit. This was suggested by "London Best" also.

Edited by harrycatcat1

20 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Can you measure the width of the mounts and upload a photo also .

Bsa have always been difficult/ different  with their rails  - still are  

I have measured the width and it's as near as damn it 11mm which the scope that I have ordered comes with. Alternatively I have a set of mounts that fit from a previous project.

So I belive (might be wrong .) 

But often the issue with mounts on an old gun is that the rails are cut into the top of the cylinder and as such the mounts need to sit down flat into those cut rails .often need a mount with  crescent shape in the base of the mount  as opposed to a flat base  (most common these days )  

As you can see in the images .

Screenshot_20211125-183831_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20211125-183558_Google.jpg

I had a tx 200 that needed the crescent based mounts  so as not to foul the top of the cylinder between the rails .

Edited by Ultrastu

55 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

But often the issue with mounts on an old gun is that the rails are cut into the top of the cylinder and as such the mounts need to sit down flat into those cut rails .often need a mount with  crescent shape in the base of the mount  as opposed to a flat base  (most common these days )  

I had a tx 200 that needed the crescent based mounts  so as not to found the top of the cylinder between the rails .

Ahhhhh I see what you are saying 😏 

I will dig the mounts that I have and have a look tomorrow 👍👍

14 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I've made an executive decision and ordered this to match the BSA Meteor. 

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/bsa-telescopic-scope-sight-air-gun-rifle-hunting-target-wr-4x32-with-11mm-3-8-mounts.html

Mm, the parralax for that is set at 100. A bit far IMO for real clarity at air gun ranges out to 40. The mag will be plenty from experience.

16 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I had a tx 200 that needed the crescent based mounts  so as not to foul the top of the cylinder between the rails .

These mounts are not flat, I don't know if you can make them out, I probably zoomed in too much.

Screenshot_20211126-124129_Gallery.jpg.4ecf5094f04aad16e1083b61fea45170.jpg