Isuzu D max 2.5 2017

countryman

Just got this Truck and was after some advice with the DPF filter , on short journeys is it better to put the auto box in manual mode and keep the revs a bit higher, in auto I notice it seems to go in high gears very quickly all most coasting . On the digital panel you can see how blocked or not the DPF is, to day it looked quite full, I cleared it quite quickly in manual low gears but after a short journey later in auto it seems to be filling up again.

Thanks

42 minutes ago, point and shoot said:

I have this 2017 model. Never been a problem. Just drive It normally. I have never had to do a manual regeneration. I do a20 mile ish journey once a week. Nothing special.

On your dash panel, when you get the DPF up does it have some bars full or is yours all ways empty.

Thanks

DPFs can only regenerate a certain number of times before they are full of ash, have it taken out plug the inlet end and fill it up with oven cleaner, let it sit a while and then back flow it with a hose for an hour or so then reinstall it.

A wee drop of cetane booster in the diesel and then flog it up the motorway at 70mph in 4th gear for 10-15 minutes does them the world of good.

*edit* to say make sure you let it dry out before putting it back in!

Edited by Rob85
Adding text

11 hours ago, countryman said:

Just got this Truck and was after some advice with the DPF filter , on short journeys is it better to put the auto box in manual mode and keep the revs a bit higher, in auto I notice it seems to go in high gears very quickly all most coasting . On the digital panel you can see how blocked or not the DPF is, to day it looked quite full, I cleared it quite quickly in manual low gears but after a short journey later in auto it seems to be filling up again.

Thanks

My keeper mate has the same problem on his 1.9 auto. They've told him to keep journeys of less than 6 miles to a minimum. Not the best solution. 

I have a 2016 2.5 it doesn't tell me when its on a regeneration but you can tell when the tick over goes up to 900 i then run it around till finishes usually around 10 mins bit of pain but really good trucks. 

As mentioned a blast out now and again will keep it clean. It won't re gen unless above a certain temp.

Biggest problem with that engine is oil dilution. Extra diesel is injected to raise the temperature of the exhaust gas and keep dpf clean.Check dipstick,  it will have a cross on it way above the hi oil mark. Isuzu say take it to the dealer when oil gets that high. Personally I would change oil as soon as it gets over H on dipstick. Mine did short runs and oil went up every 2 months so I changed it for the sake of £20 quid in oil and 5 mins underneath. 

23 hours ago, point and shoot said:

The bars fill up progressively until it's ready to do a regeneration. Then it all happens automatically. Brilliant!

Nope, think there’s a problem with mine, warning light for DPF come on this morning, I did a regeneration down the motorway and cleared it all, on the way back started to fill up again , on maximum again, booked into garage . Not bad for 3 days ownership.

Just another point make sure oil and other engine warning lights are out !

sister in law diesel was in limp home mode for a while . Low oil meant it would not re-generate so slowly coked itself up. 

Wether it’s true a tank of premium derv  ever 4th fill seems to domy transit good 

Agriv8

2 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Wether it’s true a tank of premium derv  ever 4th fill seems to domy transit good 

Agriv8

Can you still get proper derv? 
I thought it was all low sulphur stuff now. 
I remember when that stuff first came in. The minute you filled up with it, performance dropped off and mpg went down.

On 26/11/2021 at 17:30, Shotkam said:

Is this the same issue with a Hilux ?

DPF light came on in my 2018 L200 a fortnight ago as I drove up the M6 for a week's stalking in D&G.  It didnt regen itself and I was lucky that Lancashire Mitsubishi sorted it for me there and then (2 other dealerships enroute wouldn't look at it).  The technician said there was an issue with the DPF as they were seeing quite a few vehicles having problems.

My D max is in the garage tomorrow, it’s still constantly regenerating it self every time I go out be it short or long runs, the dip stick is starting to read high and the oil was only changed just before I brought it a few days ago, it has all ready had new injectors under warranty by a previous owner, what the hell are these manufacturers doing.

11 hours ago, countryman said:

what the hell are these manufacturers doing.

Following the rules set by the halfwits in (various mainly European) governments.  I had (several years ago) MAJOR DPF issues with a BMW, very fortunately covered by warranty.  I am still mystified as to what the actual real cause was as so many parts were changed, but the inlet manifold was possibly key, though exactly why remains shrouded in mystery. 

12 hours ago, countryman said:

My D max is in the garage tomorrow, it’s still constantly regenerating it self every time I go out be it short or long runs, the dip stick is starting to read high and the oil was only changed just before I brought it a few days ago, it has all ready had new injectors under warranty by a previous owner, what the hell are these manufacturers doing.

If you only bought it a few days ago, and if you bought it from a garage, then take it back to where you bought it from for them to fix.