What kind of groups and range are you guys getting with air rifles

NoBodyImportant

Got to be a wind up surely? A yank asking for shooting advice??

Have you done the obvious things, cleaned the barrel through, checked the action is tight.

Springers are or can be very hold sensitive and can take a while from new to bed in or settle. 

What range are you shooting at?

How heavy is the trigger?

59 minutes ago, amateur said:

Forget the pointy pellets.

Dome head, every time, for accuracy. 

Read up on and adopt the "artillery" hold to avoid reacting to the spring action.

yup i go for this as well............and all accounts the rifle make you have is known to be a gooden......is it sub 12 ft/lbs ?

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

.is it sub 12 ft/lbs ?

will be the 1000ft\sec (18ftlb) version as no restrictions in USA.

Make sure the mounts and scope's up to the job as that gun will kill non-airgun scopes quite quickly.

It is also likely a heavier domed pellet is needed but as noted JSB or H&N seem to be reliable in it.

If your using a scope on it ?? Take it off and try with the open sights at 20 yds  .rested you should be able to shoot an inch group if your eyes are good  .

This will tell you if the gun is basically suited to your pellets and technique  .

Put the scope back on and repeat  .if the group is all over the place  you have found the problem = scope. 

A half decent springer should be able to hold an inch group at 30 yds with a scope on and rested on soft cushions or sand bag (not on a hard surface this makes 10x worse ) a really good shooter and proper sorted gun /pellet /scope  should shoot an inch out to 40 plus yards  .

I shot this with a brand new gun at dusk with open sights at around 18 yds last week  . I'd say that's about 3/4 inch  

20211120_153326.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

If your using a scope on it ?? Take it off and try with the open sights at 20 yds  .rested you should be able to shoot an inch group if your eyes are good  .

This will tell you if the gun is basically suited to your pellets and technique  .

Put the scope back on and repeat  .if the group is all over the place  you have found the problem = scope. 

A half decent springer should be able to hold an inch group at 30 yds with a scope on and rested on soft cushions or sand bag (not on a hard surface this makes 10x worse ) a really good shooter and proper sorted gun /pellet /scope  should shoot an inch out to 40 plus yards  .

as above and with other suggestions....dump the artsy fartsy pointed pellets and stick to a quality domed model ...I would go for Exacts to start with and a fairly heavy pellet if over 12ft lb.

2 hours ago, clangerman said:

can’t make a silk purse from a sows ear ditch the cheap springer and buy a quality pcp job done 

Yup, cannot disagree with that.    My AA S 200 Mk 2 keeps felling 'em left right and centre, purchased second hand for the equivalent of $400 four years ago and still shoots better than I can.  15 tree rats and three jays this week.

Webley Mosquitos   good old fashioned round nosed pellet

Edited by Walker570

American Air gunner round table, on the tube, go through all the early episodes, the guys cover pretty much every aspect and interact well with each other, even if you have been around air guns for a long time a state side take on the subject is good viewing.

Edited by Chaz25

1 hour ago, Chaz25 said:

American Air gunner round table, on the tube, go through all the early episodes, the guys cover pretty much every aspect and interact well with each other, even if you have been around air guns for a long time a state side take on the subject is good viewing.

That's good advice  👍

On 24/11/2021 at 20:18, bruno22rf said:

Dump the pellets and try jsb exacts, Air Arms field etc.

I going to try to order a few 

19 hours ago, Mice! said:

Got to be a wind up surely? A yank asking for shooting advice??

Have you done the obvious things, cleaned the barrel through, checked the action is tight.

Springers are or can be very hold sensitive and can take a while from new to bed in or settle. 

What range are you shooting at?

How heavy is the trigger?

I ran some patches through it.  I’m getting about 3-4 in groups at 25yards. 

18 hours ago, amateur said:

Forget the pointy pellets.

Dome head, every time, for accuracy. 

Read up on and adopt the "artillery" hold to avoid reacting to the spring action.

Will do

17 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, do they sell sample pellet packs in the USA, superdomes is one I would try, first a really good barrel clean then try from there, 

I haven’t seen any locally 

14 hours ago, Stonepark said:

will be the 1000ft\sec (18ftlb) version as no restrictions in USA.

Make sure the mounts and scope's up to the job as that gun will kill non-airgun scopes quite quickly.

It is also likely a heavier domed pellet is needed but as noted JSB or H&N seem to be reliable in it.

I am running iron right now, but as far as the Ftlbs you could be right. One Youtube video said 19.3 but It doesn’t say on the box.  

6 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

Will do

36 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I going to try to order a few 

I ran some patches through it.  I’m getting about 3-4 in groups at 25yards. 

Will do

I haven’t seen any locally 

I am running iron right now, but as far as the Ftlbs you could be right. One Youtube video said 19.3 but It doesn’t say on the box.  

Will do

3-4 inches is terrible,  but at what we call fac power so +12ft/lbs I'm not surprised it's probably terrible to shoot, a lot of guys with spring guns actually try to make them shoot with less power around 10.5 so the  action is smoother,  but you would have to strip the gun, re grease, de-burr and possibly alter the spring to get this.

I can't imagine a break barrel doing 19ft/lb ever being accurate out of the box.

Screenshot_20211121-113415_Gallery.jpg.5aec70e92d61db31f44a042d586eaa6b.jpg

That was my zero check last week, but it's a pcp rested at 25mtrs 10mm red dots,  lads with tuned springers will still hit this,  but it takes more practice,  look what Stu posted about his SMK.

Bet it must twang like a banjo , can you get the tuning or drop in kits over there that take out some of the recoil and “ twang” you usually get with springers ? Look at TBT tuning website they do lots of kits to eliminate this , I put one in my 97 and couldn’t believe the difference it made 

https://www.airrifletuning.com/product-category/tbt-tuning-kits/

I have shot guns around 15fps a tad harsh but still fairly good, springers take some mastering and I think I have a gun based on the 34 quite a wide and long cylinder so lock time can be long making the hold importancy more so, worth putting a bit of tape on the fore end so you position pretty much your hand in the same place every time, trigger hand keep your thumb middle of the stock the idea is to cradle not grip, and I use a sling on my springer it braces the gun very well without effecting the recoil in a poor way, stick with it if you can shoot a springer well you can shoot everything better they can be that hard to master!

Edited by Chaz25

I wouldn’t worry about it being a springer as such. OK you won’t shoot the whatsits off a gnat at hundred yards, but who cares, you don’t need to. A decent springer, a good hold and well matched dome pellet will give you a half inch grouping at 30 yards. Job done, you’re vermin has ceased to be. 

If it is circa 16 ft/lb or more, heavier ‘magnum’ type pellets will help settle the groupings somewhat - and deliver more whack. 

I use a friends 177 Diana springer when I’m in the states. Comfortably able to shoot squirrels out of tree tops at 50 metres. It’s 19ft/lbs and it has a better feel than my FAC Diana 52 side lever here in the Uk. Domed pellets.

Edited by Fisheruk

Speaking personally, to get the best out of my spring gun I have to hold it as loosely as possible with my front hand just in front of the trigger guard but not gripping the stock,cheek very lightly on the stock and the gentlest of pulls on the pistol grip back into my shoulder. I can then hit empty shotgun shells at 50 yards when I get my eye in. Holding a springer tight and trying to control the recoil will be detrimental to accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2021 at 14:34, Rimfireboy said:

So where am I going wrong? I use a consistent hold and practice every day, and I still can’t shoot a group less than an inch at 50 yards with my gat gun.

The gat being the match grade gun it is, you have to tighten up your stance. got to really clench! get that balloon knot real tight! then the groups will close up very nicely or your pop a vein in your head 😁