A few on the wolds

GingerCat

Last week jdog invited me out and i had to cancel. That was the final installment of the great  conspiracy to prevent me from shooting. So far I've had about 6 or 7 days out binned for reasons out of my control and I've had enough. Nothing was going to stop me today. Nothing. 

Except my daughter being sent home from school sick. A few promises for the future and the wife watched her whilst working from home. Everything crossed I made my way to the dogs lair, nestled in the wolds. He was waiting my arrival and we set off straight away. Not far either, about 400 yards round the corner to a field we had shot before. 

This was a field of rape, steadily rising uphill to a small copse of trees. The village down below some 500 or so metres from the sitty trees. 

The birds were leaving the village and following a hedge to the trees. A few were feeding on the haws and some on the rape. The dog bangered off the trees and we set up somewhere near the bottom of the line to intercept. A rotary and a few decoys, a bitter freezing northerly wind to our backs and the sun perfectly in our faces blinding us every shot. Perfect. 

The birds didn't disappoint and great flocks flew up the hedge appearing for seconds before being out of range. They must have been doing 70 miles and hour effortlessly. We banged away and within a minute or 2 had landed 3. This continued and we missed a few more than we would like, the sun being their protection. A few came from behind, some in front and the odd one even tried to land amongst the decoys. What a great time we had. In all we picked about 15 for a little over 90 minutes until the wife called to tell me to collect the other daughter who was no also sick and the sprayer arrived. I won't say how many cartridges we fired but the conditions were challenging to say the least. We probably should have tripled the bag however  I will say it was probably the most fun I've had with my clothes on for a long time. 

18 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

He was, and doing well with it. 

Glad you managed to get out for a few hours and hope your two girls are on the mend .

Be nice to get a briefing from the man himself to give us a run down on how the new addition is performing , or better still , how he is performing with his new addition :hmm: 

34 minutes ago, JDog said:

Yes a cold but enjoyable session.

The new semi auto is fine. I shot three beauties in quick succession right after missing three of the same so situation normal.

I didn't know you have joined the semi auto club, its a lot easier on the shoulder, but can be more costly in cartridges! Still we all know how small your cartridge bag is don't we. What make have you gone for? 😃

13 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

I didn't know you have joined the semi auto club, its a lot easier on the shoulder, but can be more costly in cartridges! Still we all know how small your cartridge bag is don't we. What make have you gone for? 😃

I bought a Franchi Affinity which I am pleased with so far.