experiment with plastic moulding

impala59

Having the need for a butt plate for a new addition to my Ithaca collection, I experimented with a trial kit from mouldcraft.co.uk. Ithaca parts are unobtainable in the UK so needs must! Firstly, I made a very rough mould box, laid a couple of butt plates of differing style and size in it and mixed up my silicon. Very slowly so as to not create air bubbles I poured over the originals (complete with age related patina marks etc!) after an hour or so, I removed the silicon mould, thankful that my originals were none the worse for the treatment. I then mixed my two part plastic and carefully filled the moulds (including one for a pistol grip cap as I had some silicon over) I missed the colour a bit, probably my mixing, but overall I am happy that I can now duplicate these rare butt plates. I will make further moulds of different styles in the future, all in all, a simple process that is actually very rewarding and fun to do!

137637498_moulding(1).JPG.8a620083dcf98b54292ab2c45bcc5fd7.JPGThe mould box with originals

2049719096_moulding(2).JPG.beabd2100ddebdcc3e65963b5f10fe98.JPGCovered with Silicon mix

747435454_moulding(3).JPG.c1e69450d1c4c48f1fbeb7c8f6c9111a.JPGFilled with plastic mix

250256451_moulding(5).JPG.59127d7c74c498609f2df944d4545bd5.JPGOriginals left, the moulds and clones right

1339376293_moulding(7).JPG.616261ac71e61c9f60ecbafcf9572821.JPGDetail of my repro butt plates

just love this can do attitude that most of PW have....top banana  :good:

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well done Mate, nice to see parts are available, as long as you have one to copy.  :good:

in alot of cases you could make a template....even make butt extensions.....are there different colours resins avaiable ?

Edited by ditchman

Yes all colours available, also casting rubber too. I have a number of my guns with cracked/glued butt plates, I will be looking at fine sanding these to get a decent master then casting a new one in solid. Incidentally, when I removed from the mould, they were still a bit warm and slightly pliable, I rested them on a sheet of glass for flatness but they could if needed be fitted to slightly curved surfaces if done early enough. This morning they are rock hard and look to be sandable for perfect fit

That's nice. There did used to be in the USA a guy that made replica Webley, Colt and Etc. grips to duplicate the original hard black rubber grips such as on the Webley .455 and Colt .455 and the Harrington & Richardson and Etc.

https://www.vintagegungrips.net/

I think that he also did buttplates for shotguns.The issue with his stuff was that it was betrayed, as it were, by lack of the original pattern escutcheons and screws. Also unlike the originals his didn't have the same shiny semi-matt yet silky gloss external finish. 

Anyway for those that don't have the skills and time of the OP here's a link to that American outlet. Hope it is useful.

Edited by enfieldspares

For what it’s worth, the skill levels are fairly low. I picked a silicon that is 50/50 by weight (not volume)and a polyeurethane resin that is also 50/50 by weight. Mixing slowly in clean pots (washed and dried thoroughly yogurt pots) using clean wood coffee stirrers for mixing and pouring from about 10” above with the smallest stream possible, starting in the lowest part of the mould or mould box, the same technique for both making the mould and casting the resin. It’s certainly something that I will use again and as ditchman says templates can be made and then cast.