Unwanted shotguns.

dead eye alan

I have in my cabinet 9 guns of varies types, yesterday a friend asked if I would take 3 of his as at 88 it was time to call it a day. Apparently even the gun shop want to charge him to take them in and he would rather give them away. I have no room for any more but have managed to distribute them to other friends, my question is what can you do with unwanted shotguns? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

I have in my cabinet 9 guns of varies types, yesterday a friend asked if I would take 3 of his as at 88 it was time to call it a day. Apparently even the gun shop want to charge him to take them in and he would rather give them away. I have no room for any more but have managed to distribute them to other friends, my question is what can you do with unwanted shotguns? 

Give them to Wabbitbosher!

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

You can hand them in at your local cop shop, but they then are entered as a ‘surrendered firearm’ and added to statistics. 
Alternatively you can hand them in at your local RFD, who could use as spares or simply shove them in an auction. 

Yep, should have tried there instead of the gun shop. :innocent: :whistling:

2 hours ago, HantsRob said:

If you don't want to put them into the cop shop to increase a negative sounding statistic, and RFD will charge to take them.... maybe take a few snaps and put them on PW as free guns?

Someone may want a rough shooter beat 'em up

This 🙄 someone's unwanted gun could be someone else's treasure. 

My RFD stopped taking in old guns, he says he can't sell the ones he has. He bundles them for auction. Last bundle raised after fees £10. 

He currently has SBSs and single barrel 12 bores for sale at £20  and last time I was in said if there's anything you fancy take it for free.

Apparently there's more money in second hand gun safes now than "old guns"

I agree wholeheartedly with the posts above, take a picture offer on here, maybe just what someone is looking for, even if it's only parts.

Shame to go to scrap 

It's unbelievable isn't it. 20 years ago we would have been able to sell a nice old English gun for a nice price. Now we can't even give them away.

Wonder if the introduction of steel has anything to do with it and if our wonderful shooting organisations would like to take them off our hands for their full value.

Yeah right

Could you not ‘break’ the gun and sell the parts on line via everyone’s favourite auction site..?? Surely, there’s more value in the sum of the parts compared to the whole.. ie a fifty pound S/S might contain enough hand made components to generate a respectable return.. Perhaps we need a section within PW for the movement of such parts..

3 hours ago, Graham M said:

It's unbelievable isn't it. 20 years ago we would have been able to sell a nice old English gun for a nice price. Now we can't even give them away.

Wonder if the introduction of steel has anything to do with it and if our wonderful shooting organisations would like to take them off our hands for their full value.

Yeah right

I’ll wager that the entire staff of Basc sold anything unsuitable for steel before the announcement of the voluntary transition to non lead shot 

jusy before they devalued or made obsolete most of the guns in the country 

8 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I’ll wager that the entire staff of Basc sold anything unsuitable for steel before the announcement of the voluntary transition to non lead shot 

jusy before they devalued or made obsolete most of the guns in the country 

Good theory, but actually you are at least partly wrong.

I know three BASC employees who are still using their SxS guns and two of them are good London guns and the other an AYA side lock.

All nitro proof guns are suitable for standard steel, just not high performance.  
The only issue is finding 2 1/2 inch steel cartridges. Now we have Eley Grand Prix Steel.  
I have shot ducks/geese with steel shot for the last twenty years through a standard nitro proof 2 3/4 inch (70mm) Spanish gun with no ill effects.

7 minutes ago, London Best said:

All nitro proof guns are suitable for standard steel, just not high performance.  
The only issue is finding 2 1/2 inch steel cartridges. Now we have Eley Grand Prix Steel.  
I have shot ducks/geese with steel shot for the last twenty years through a standard nitro proof 2 3/4 inch (70mm) Spanish gun with no ill effects.

So this season you have dumped your lead cartridges and your shooting steel ?

all nitro proof guns including those choked full and extra full? 

2 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

So this season you have dumped your lead cartridges and your shooting steel ?

all nitro proof guns including those choked full and extra full? 

Absolutely not!

I will shoot lead whilst it is legal to do so.

Regarding chokes, out of eight shotguns only one has a barrel tighter than quarter choke and that is only choked at .015 inch or about 3/8 choke.