Sertraline - PTSD

Centrepin

38 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Friend of mine.

Shoots clays about once a month. Has a full time job and is a family man but recently diagnosed with a form of PTSD been given Sertraline by Drs.

Is it worth him applying for a SGC or is it an immediate turn down.

Tried ringing FEO but never answers. 

I know of other's who have been taking much stronger medication for various forms of stress etc, and have been granted a shotgun/FAC certificate.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I know of other's who have been taking much stronger medication for various forms of stress etc, and have been granted a shotgun/FAC certificate.

Thank you, I'll let him know, he's asked for "shotgun stuff" for Xmas. 

Didn't want him to have to sell it all in January 😁

Depends entirely on his PTSD and what triggers him. If he got PTSD in a combat situation involving guns, probably a bad risk. If he got PTSD from anything else at all, shouldn't be a problem. PTSD is just measuring tick boxes about how distressed you are, it's like a quiz. The risk would be if you were triggered and found yourself reacting to stuff in the past, not in the present. If being triggered makes him rage, no guns would be my recommendation. If it's something else, you have to judge on what is there. 

PTSD is my work. It's fairly easy to resolve. I'm finished for 2021 but you can message me if you want more information. The hardest part is getting the person with PTSD into a place where they want to resolve it. 

4 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Friend of mine.

Shoots clays about once a month. Has a full time job and is a family man but recently diagnosed with a form of PTSD been given Sertraline by Drs.

Is it worth him applying for a SGC or is it an immediate turn down.

Tried ringing FEO but never answers. 

The firearms licensing manager will be the one to discuss this with?

Edited by old man

4 hours ago, old man said:

The firearms licensing manager will be the one to discuss this with?

Normally yes, but they don't answer landlines or mobiles. Recently they have even begun ignoring emails.

6 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Depends entirely on his PTSD and what triggers him. If he got PTSD in a combat situation involving guns, probably a bad risk. If he got PTSD from anything else at all, shouldn't be a problem. PTSD is just measuring tick boxes about how distressed you are, it's like a quiz. The risk would be if you were triggered and found yourself reacting to stuff in the past, not in the present. If being triggered makes him rage, no guns would be my recommendation. If it's something else, you have to judge on what is there. 

PTSD is my work. It's fairly easy to resolve. I'm finished for 2021 but you can message me if you want more information. The hardest part is getting the person with PTSD into a place where they want to resolve it. 

Thank you, without going into too much details he withdraws into himself, fixes on a project, such as woodwork and is triggered by confrontation. Never known to be violent or aggressive. Only recently sought help after prompting by friends.

13 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Normally yes, but they don't answer landlines or mobiles. Recently they have even begun ignoring emails.

Thank you, without going into too much details he withdraws into himself, fixes on a project, such as woodwork and is triggered by confrontation. Never known to be violent or aggressive. Only recently sought help after prompting by friends.

Well maybe the next step a respectful email to the  Police and Crime Commissioner asking if the FLM is ill?

Currently on medication for depression, assumed it would be an instant denial from the FEO but applied with fingers crossed. Got a very supportive letter from my matter-of-fact GP who literally phoned me up and said "why the **** are you applying for a gun". During the home visit the FEO commented on my disclosure and merely mentioned that I have received a very supportive letter. Concluded the visit with "I dont see any reason this wont get approved, so expect your license within 14 days"

True to her word, license came through, albeit late by a couple of days!

I know "by the book" the GP has no overarching power to deny or approve a certificate and the Police will issue or deny in isolation, but I think the most powerful piece of supporting information is the GP letter so I'd say start there.

Edited by George88