My new hobby.

ted m

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Lovely. I used to do this. Shame is folk expect you to just give them away.

A bloke on BIG shoot does! He’s long retired and makes them in his spare time, ‘just pottering about’ as he puts it. Most of the beaters have sticks made by him, including me. 
I keep telling him he should be charging for them but as most are just thumb sticks he doesn’t like to. 🤷‍♂️
Anyhow, I have some Roe antlers I’m going to give him tomorrow, but will pay him for the stick he’s going to make from one of them. 
I had bundles of hazel, blackthorn etc hung from my shed roof for years, with visions of making loads of sticks, bought the books and all manner of stuff required, but just never seemed to get the time.

I see people at game fairs quibbling over stick prices and can’t believe it; the hours that go into some sticks and the prices charged is much less than minimum wage. People don’t seem to get it. 

Nice work. I make them for pals when they ask. I don’t use collars but horn spacers in black and white. Takes a little longer but looks good.

You’re right about price though. Never reflects the effort. Pal of mine had a new shank put on his fathers stick and was charged £40 which I thought was steep but then I would have done it for nowt.

6 hours ago, Scully said:

A bloke on BIG shoot does! He’s long retired and makes them in his spare time, ‘just pottering about’ as he puts it. Most of the beaters have sticks made by him, including me. 
I keep telling him he should be charging for them but as most are just thumb sticks he doesn’t like to. 🤷‍♂️
Anyhow, I have some Roe antlers I’m going to give him tomorrow, but will pay him for the stick he’s going to make from one of them. 
I had bundles of hazel, blackthorn etc hung from my shed roof for years, with visions of making loads of sticks, bought the books and all manner of stuff required, but just never seemed to get the time.

I see people at game fairs quibbling over stick prices and can’t believe it; the hours that go into some sticks and the prices charged is much less than minimum wage. People don’t seem to get it. 

Scully I totally agree folks believe that it's a simple art form until they try it themselves and end buying them from someone else...the hours taken sourcing their sticks, drying straightening working and they want to pay peanuts...if you truly respect the work evolved then please pay what they are worth not what you can get  away with...

2 hours ago, OGGIE said:

People don't realise what the materials cost never mind the time spent making them. The will become too expensive for the likes of me to make and sell.

Unfortunately we now live in an age where a craft skills maybe appreciated but seldom rewarded.

I was at a shoot yesterday and a gentleman saw the black cocker I have just finished and without a thought asked if I could make one of his spaniel, of course I uttered the phrase you haven't asked how much I charge (and being this chap who is known to me and a electrician when I told him that there is a good three days work had gone into it ) when I told him how much he coughed spluttering came out with so many reasons why he might loose it break it, I said you've changed your mind...

I asked what he charged pre hour believe you me I was the one who was spilling my drink  ....cricky I said I should be charging his hourly rate but I'm sure he would have had a heart attack there and then..

Edited by gamekeeper1960

Really nice sticks, I have just recently started to cut a few pieces and try and make some. not expecting to end up with anything as good as your though.  Most are Hazel thumb sticks, around 4-5 with 2 Wild Rose and 2 Holly. 

At the moment im unsure what to do with the 2 Rose sticks, apart from handle with thick gloves on. Any tips from any stick men/women on PW ? 

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

Really nice sticks, I have just recently started to cut a few pieces and try and make some. not expecting to end up with anything as good as your though.  Most are Hazel thumb sticks, around 4-5 with 2 Wild Rose and 2 Holly. 

At the moment im unsure what to do with the 2 Rose sticks, apart from handle with thick gloves on. Any tips from any stick men/women on PW ? 

Let them dry right out and then sand down all of the thorns don't break them off as it spoils the finish do this beforeyou try straightening ...oh and yes in the mean handle with thick gloves...