It’s a tad windy!

elgreco

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been at work (school) all day with chainsaw clearing the drive . So much damage to houses its unbelievable.

The school has no power so we have had to send the boarding student out to guardian and day student parents.

I was shooting beside 5 beeches yesterday- now only 2 remain.

I have 2 garden fences damaged but otherwise I got of lightly.

How strange to read about rough weather people are getting outside our county , just got home from a day's game shooting , took all the extra clothing after listening to the forecast and up to dinnertime we were wandering what all the fuss was about , when we stopped mid morning for a break we didn't hardly have breath of wind , then the wind picked up and the dark clouds loomed up , one or two heavy showers before dinner , then from after lunch it started to turn a bit nasty , heavy rain showers and a strong wind , apart from the rain it would have been ideal shooting weather and the bag was achieved after the final pick up .

1 hour ago, the hitman said:

Been at work (school) all day with chainsaw clearing the drive . So much damage to houses its unbelievable.

The school has no power so we have had to send the boarding student out to guardian and day student parents.

I was shooting beside 5 beeches yesterday- now only 2 remain.

I have 2 garden fences damaged but otherwise I got of lightly.

Caravan sites devastated, lots of fences and walls down random roof damage to the extent that High Street is closed for fear of more falling debris, petrol station not safe just glad  no loss of life.   No radio, no mobile phones some places wont have power back on until tomorrow evening.

Blackpowder 

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

How strange to read about rough weather people are getting outside our county , just got home from a day's game shooting , took all the extra clothing after listening to the forecast and up to dinnertime we were wandering what all the fuss was about , when we stopped mid morning for a break we didn't hardly have breath of wind , then the wind picked up and the dark clouds loomed up , one or two heavy showers before dinner , then from after lunch it started to turn a bit nasty , heavy rain showers and a strong wind , apart from the rain it would have been ideal shooting weather and the bag was achieved after the final pick up .

Pretty much as above. Down here in deepest Kent..  it's been a bit windy with a bit of rain but yesterday  (Fri) ... today there is  a sharp edge on the wind and the odd shower  it if you can get out of the wind, into the sunshine it is quite warm.  Walk round the corner añd the wind will cut you in three.?!

1 hour ago, Blackpowder said:

Caravan sites devastated, lots of fences and walls down random roof damage to the extent that High Street is closed for fear of more falling debris, petrol station not safe just glad  no loss of life.   No radio, no mobile phones some places wont have power back on until tomorrow evening.

Blackpowder 

Al

There is a 20 ft wide channel of flattened trees from North to South ( about 20)  at my school as if a tornado has cut through it . It’s unbelievable the damage that has been done.

We've travelled today from Lancashire to South Cumbria, several trees down along the motorway,  then on into Yorkshire,  trees down, partially cleared and snow along the road side, must have been cleared by a snow plow, certainly strange for such a wide area to be affected. 

Screenshot_20211127-213421_WhatsApp.jpg.cbb0babf6cfe405cc04597a46311012a.jpg

21 hours ago, Mice! said:

We've travelled today from Lancashire to South Cumbria, several trees down along the motorway,  then on into Yorkshire,  trees down, partially cleared and snow along the road side, must have been cleared by a snow plow, certainly strange for such a wide area to be affected. 

Screenshot_20211127-213421_WhatsApp.jpg.cbb0babf6cfe405cc04597a46311012a.jpg

🙂 Local shoot at Fell bottom was cancelled yesterday, but BIG shoot went ahead. 
I had to do three uturns due to windfall across the backroads, and if the keeper and a mate hadn’t been out with the chainsaws since before light then that one may have been cancelled also. 
I was sent on quite a long solitary walk to flank off a wood on the last drive of the day, and found an eerie scene before me of dozens and dozens of huge Douglas Fir and smaller species all collapsed one upon another like a pile of giant straws! Huge root balls ( surprisingly shallow ) reaches many metres up into the air, and equally huge cratered holes they had left.
Quite spooky really, with the wind still blowing and the light starting to go, trying to pick my way among them, climbing over and scuttling under, to get where I needed to be to meet up with another beater. 
They had smashed walls and a new gate, and it will take weeks to sort out. An amazing sight.
I couldn't take any photos as our power had been off since around 0130, and my phone had died. 
They had power on the shoot thankfully, so I could have a hot brew before we started. 🙂

2 hours ago, Scully said:

🙂 Local shoot at Fell bottom was cancelled yesterday, but BIG shoot went ahead. 
I had to do three uturns due to windfall across the backroads, and if the keeper and a mate hadn’t been out with the chainsaws since before light then that one may have been cancelled also. 
I was sent on quite a long solitary walk to flank off a wood on the last drive of the day, and found an eerie scene before me of dozens and dozens of huge Douglas Fir and smaller species all collapsed one upon another like a pile of giant straws! Huge root balls ( surprisingly shallow ) reaches many metres up into the air, and equally huge cratered holes they had left.
Quite spooky really, with the wind still blowing and the light starting to go, trying to pick my way among them, climbing over and scuttling under, to get where I needed to be to meet up with another beater. 
They had smashed walls and a new gate, and it will take weeks to sort out. An amazing sight.
I couldn't take any photos as our power had been off since around 0130, and my phone had died. 
They had power on the shoot thankfully, so I could have a hot brew before we started. 🙂

Seen some bizarre pictures that's for sure, one fella the tree he has a squirrel feeder on was snapped and went through his permanent hide!! Shoot where I beat years ago in Arbroath has got loads of damage, absolutely trashed in places, but 6 guns turned up and they put on a shoot 😳

Seems strange how such a wide area has been affected, east and west coast.

We drove back in reverse today from Yorkshire into Lancs then up to Cumbria and back to Lancs,  played dodge the traffic/ accident the whole way, Yorkshire was snowing and looked like it was going to continue,  the M6 was clear but some blocks of trees looked like a bowling ball had gone through them!

How does it compare with the Hurricane?? That the weather lot said wouldn't happen years ago but then did?

Certainly glad I wasn't beating yesterday been a cold few days with a seriously lazy wind.

Friday at midnight the top of a tree broke off and crashed onto the low voltage power lines to our house. Despite a live cable flapping around the garden we weren't considered high priority as it was only our house affected and didn't get power back till Sunday night about 23.00.

Luckily we have woodburners so we were warm but we have a borehole so after a few hours of no electric, we had no water for anything. We had to take a full chest freezer to the nearest neighbour and plug it into their barn.

A crew of tree surgeons arrived after dark last night and finally got the problem sorted. Great lads. Climbing a wet 40ft tree in the dark with a chainsaw in minus 1 temperatures is a job I wouldn't fancy.

To the tree surgeons: Well done boys. Stirling work.

To Western Power: You stink. 

9 hours ago, walshie said:

Friday at midnight the top of a tree broke off and crashed onto the low voltage power lines to our house. Despite a live cable flapping around the garden we weren't considered high priority as it was only our house affected and didn't get power back till Sunday night about 23.00.

Luckily we have woodburners so we were warm but we have a borehole so after a few hours of no electric, we had no water for anything. We had to take a full chest freezer to the nearest neighbour and plug it into their barn.

A crew of tree surgeons arrived after dark last night and finally got the problem sorted. Great lads. Climbing a wet 40ft tree in the dark with a chainsaw in minus 1 temperatures is a job I wouldn't fancy.

To the tree surgeons: Well done boys. Stirling work.

To Western Power: You stink. 

They will have looked and said its just one house! But that should have made it a quick fix.

On the North West news just now I think they said half of Grange is still without power after 3 days, keeper in Scotland posted a picture earlier making a brew on a camping stove.