What thermal spotter

team tractor

Did not know we had any prairies around here. 6-800 is a long way .   Really choices choices and I think basicall the more you spedn the better the equipment with thermals.  I don't have one, don't need one as my £100 spotter handles everyhting out to 300yrds which is about the largest field I shoot over. Howevre I have used some pretty expensive thermal kit which included a pair of £4000 binos.  I have to ask , why 800yrds....not being stupid or antaginistic but aspart from when I did a lot of moorland shooting in Wales I have never ever needed anyhting past 300.

19 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Did not know we had any prairies around here. 6-800 is a long way .   Really choices choices and I think basicall the more you spedn the better the equipment with thermals.  I don't have one, don't need one as my £100 spotter handles everyhting out to 300yrds which is about the largest field I shoot over. Howevre I have used some pretty expensive thermal kit which included a pair of £4000 binos.  I have to ask , why 800yrds....not being stupid or antaginistic but aspart from when I did a lot of moorland shooting in Wales I have never ever needed anyhting past 300.

Most seem to state 1300m nev but really I’d like 5-600 yards for the fields I cover to save venturing into them .

I never shoot over 250 at night anyway if not 150

Yes, I understand there are a few prairie fields about and I suppose if you could spot out there you stand a chance of calling them.

As said, there are choices and choices and would be an idea to try a few before you spend that amount of money. I have not tried by hundred pound spotter in large fields, 300yrds is probably the largest but I would hazard a guess I could pick stuff out well over that.   Not putting thermals down they are great but in my view you need to be out a few times a week year round to benefit from that outlay.   

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, I understand there are a few prairie fields about and I suppose if you could spot out there you stand a chance of calling them.

As said, there are choices and choices and would be an idea to try a few before you spend that amount of money. I have not tried by hundred pound spotter in large fields, 300yrds is probably the largest but I would hazard a guess I could pick stuff out well over that.   Not putting thermals down they are great but in my view you need to be out a few times a week year round to benefit from that outlay.   

I’m out once too twice a week currently but I need to cover more ground really . I’ve loads I’m not touching and tbh it’s a must that I get out. 
I have the same spotter as you and it is good but after using a thermal I think they’re amazing plus it’s my divorce present 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Out of interest which spotter do you have thats £100 and works out to 300 yards.

50 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Out of interest which spotter do you have thats £100 and works out to 300 yards.

Hello, I am sure it was something like the Elite Essentials NV40 Binocular type night vision, these were on optics warehouse some months ago around £200, there's a video on U tube, takes 8 AA , there's a few for sale if you Google, but there are other makes much like these but the Elite got good review with OP warehouse, 

10 hours ago, zipdog said:

I have an Elite unit, like a pair of binos.  So been very good and served there purpose for me.  I looked and they where actually £120 but near enough.

I am not decrying thermals they are brilliant BUT are they worth the outlay in the majority of cases. 

When looking at thermals I did consider the HIK/Guide types but they have a fixed battery so that put me off, in the end I bought a axion XQ38 which does everything I want it to do, if with what I know now and if I had more cash to splash I would get a Helion 2 XQ50 just to have a bit more detail but like I said very happy with the axion XQ38.

Have a look at Blackwood Outdoors as at the moment they have some thermals reduced Axion XQ38 for £1600 etc etc.

Mick

TT Countryman have Axion XQ38 in at £1700.  if you want to look through mine your welcome, although i have the rangefinder all else is the same. 

The ability to spot out to allot further than your able to shoot gives you the advantage to stalk to your quarry avoiding the possible chance of getting winded or just chancing on your quarry and spooking it. Another advantage is being able to see into woodland allot further than you could dream of with any bino's (obviously depending on foliage) specially in deciduous this time of the year. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

TT Countryman have Axion XQ38 in at £1700.  if you want to look through mine your welcome, although i have the rangefinder all else is the same. 

The ability to spot out to allot further than your able to shoot gives you the advantage to stalk to your quarry avoiding the possible chance of getting winded or just chancing on your quarry and spooking it. Another advantage is being able to see into woodland allot further than you could dream of with any bino's (obviously depending on foliage) specially in deciduous this time of the year. 

I think I might just have the budget now dude after selling my cabinets . 
I used yours a few years back and it was awesome 

13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I am sure it was something like the Elite Essentials NV40 Binocular type night vision, these were on optics warehouse some months ago around £200, there's a video on U tube, takes 8 AA , there's a few for sale if you Google, but there are other makes much like these but the Elite got good review with OP warehouse, 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have an Elite unit, like a pair of binos.  So been very good and served there purpose for me.  I looked and they where actually £120 but near enough.

I am not decrying thermals they are brilliant BUT are they worth the outlay in the majority of cases. 

Thank you 

This spurred me into purchasing one ( only just purchased a Wulf 4K night scope for the triple 2).

Thought the email from OpticsWarehouse with 10% off was still valid, but alas I’m too late so will wait for their ‘next’ sale ( they do seem to be the DFS of optics) 

11 hours ago, Jaymo said:

This spurred me into purchasing one ( only just purchased a Wulf 4K night scope for the triple 2).

Thought the email from OpticsWarehouse with 10% off was still valid, but alas I’m too late so will wait for their ‘next’ sale ( they do seem to be the DFS of optics) 

Had mine from countryman of derby for £1750 instead of £2000 every where else 

On 01/12/2021 at 07:47, team tractor said:

I went out last night for 20 minutes . I found out that I’ve a badger , several Munty and a few foxes I didn’t know about .

at 1200 yards I could easily see the sheep too 

I was going to say you'll probably find you can spot stuff a lot further out than you can Identify,  but you'll learn what's worth looking at and what's not.

Should have said that they show you stuff in daylight as well at distance that you might not have spotted as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if any help to Axion xq38 users but I was having trouble viewing in bright daytime use due to light around the eye so bought a eye piece from the bay, here it is

I cut it down to the second rib from the eye section and put it in hot water to soften a bit, stretched it over and works a treat, battery access is fine.

IMG_2595.JPG