A new low - even for footballers

chrisjpainter

I love football, but it does have some right numpties in it...

Copa Libertadores: Watch Palmeiras player's 'ridiculous' dive after being 'pushed' by referee - BBC Sport

The Copa Libertadores is the South American version of the Champions League, so the best domestic clubs in the whole of South America. Good grief...

Edited by chrisjpainter

3 hours ago, sam triple said:

I hate football for exactly that reason , over paid primadonas , fall over at the slightest touch , cheating the game the fans and them selves , and yet they’re treated like hero’s 😡

100% agree.  Just watched a golf programe from way back in the seventies and violence and such in the football game was being discussed then. Just got worse.

BUT have you noticed like spiled children they always blame somebody else.

Personally, just struggling to still follow Englands progress. this only possible to Gareths influence on the game? Otherwise would have stopped ages ago. I suppose given the wage levels they, lose interest in winning after a year having already had above average life income of the average bod?

Certainly no interest in mens league stuff, the women are much more focused on winning? 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

100% agree.  Just watched a golf programe from way back in the seventies and violence and such in the football game was being discussed then. Just got worse.

BUT have you noticed like spiled children they always blame somebody else.

Sports people will try and get away with as much as they can. It's not limited to football. Cheating goes on in the scrum all the time, it's just a different type. All they're trying to do is cheat the rules of the scrum in a way that doesn't get spotted - or better still, is seen as a penalty infringement by the opposition. Commentators call it 'being clever,' but it's no different in essence to taking a dive. Subtler, maybe, but it's still cheating.

Violence in football is way down, it's simply not true to say it's got worse. It used to be part and parcel of the footballing culture at club and country level, but the days of blanket bans for teams and nations are, at least in England, mostly a thing of the past. Abroad it's a bit of a different story and there's still a problem with England internationals, but real pitched battles between fans don't happen as they used to. 

And this idea of rugby being a thug's game played by gentlemen is complete nonsense. between 2007 and 2016, Dylan Hartley was banned for a total of 60 weeks for biting, eye-gouging, punching, verbal abuse, elbowing and headbutting, plus a few other bits and pieces. What did England do? Made him captain. 

3 hours ago, Good shot? said:

That is one example of why I prefer to watch the women's games as I don't believe it has crept into their game yet. At least not in the games I have seen.

In general, I agree. Two words though: Nikita Parris. She's as good a sniper victim as anyone in the prem!

Edited by chrisjpainter

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Sports people will try and get away with as much as they can. It's not limited to football. Cheating goes on in the scrum all the time, it's just a different type. All they're trying to do is cheat the rules of the scrum in a way that doesn't get spotted - or better still, is seen as a penalty infringement by the opposition. Commentators call it 'being clever,' but it's no different in essence to taking a dive. Subtler, maybe, but it's still cheating.

Violence in football is way down, it's simply not true to say it's got worse. It used to be part and parcel of the footballing culture at club and country level, but the days of blanket bans for teams and nations are, at least in England, mostly a thing of the past. Abroad it's a bit of a different story and there's still a problem with England internationals, but real pitched battles between fans don't happen as they used to. 

And this idea of rugby being a thug's game played by gentlemen is complete nonsense. between 2007 and 2016, Dylan Hartley was banned for a total of 60 weeks for biting, eye-gouging, punching, verbal abuse, elbowing and headbutting, plus a few other bits and pieces. What did England do? Made him captain. 

In general, I agree. Two words though: Nikita Parris. She's as good a sniper victim as anyone in the prem!

There’s cheating and there’s cheating to fall over like you’ve been taken out by sniper rolling and clutching all parts of your antimony that they think would get a better chance of sympathy, and all of the sudden their up , no blood no bruise but carrying on giving the ref abuse , it’s not sport it’s a farce go back to the 70’s Franny Lee v Norman Hunter , then tell me they’re not cheating 

I don't follow English football really, I do not understand the game, But to me, it appears the object of the game is for 11 players to pass the ball between them until one of the players gets within 10ft of the goal, then upon being passed the ball this player has to head, shoulder or kick the ball passed a 2ft wide goal keeper into a 24ft wide goal.

Upon achieving this, the players game is over as they are immediately mobbed by other members of their team and subsequently rushed off to the nearest hospital, apparently suffering from multiple love bites. 😁  

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

There’s cheating and there’s cheating to fall over like you’ve been taken out by sniper rolling and clutching all parts of your antimony that they think would get a better chance of sympathy, and all of the sudden their up , no blood no bruise but carrying on giving the ref abuse , it’s not sport it’s a farce go back to the 70’s Franny Lee v Norman Hunter , then tell me they’re not cheating 

When did I say they're not cheating? They are. It's absurd. But cheating's hardly unique to football. Should we really be distinguishing between types of cheating? Having one type of cheating as more acceptable than another seems a bit daft.

Points mean prizes. If I had my way, if a player was found to be guilty of diving or feigning injuries to stop the game (now more prevalent with new head injury rules) then points are docked. It'd soon dry up once a team has got relegated or missed out on European football in May because a player took a dive in August.

There cannot be a new low for football/ers. It has been at absolute zero for sixty years. 
And since it went professional Rugby is starting to go the same way, with all the celebrating, man hugs, and ‘professional’ cheating. At least the fans are not rioting yet.

Edited by London Best

2 minutes ago, London Best said:

There cannot be a new low for football/ers. It has been at absolute zero for sixty years. 
And since it went professional Rugby is starting to go the same way, with all the celebrating, man hugs, and ‘professional’ cheating. At least the fans are not rioting yet.

Aye and it doesn't help that the ref is now miked up. All you can hear is the scrum half shouting 'pen ref,' 'offside ref,' 'hands in the ruck!'

Shut up, stop reffing and get on with the job you're meant to be doing!

3 hours ago, samboy said:

How can it be English football when 99% of the players and managers are foreign ?.

64% and only the French and Spanish leagues of the so-called big five have a greater than 50% number of home-grown players. But let's not split hairs and it is a bit of a shame. But it's played in England, the majority of the fans live in England and it's where 95% of England international players play (all bar Bellingham, Abraham and Trippier). It also contributed £7.5bn to the UK economy over the 19/20 season - despite so many matches being played behind closed doors because of Covid. It'd be nice if more than 5 were majority owned by British people, but that's a sign of the global times and economy.