Multi fuel stove.

samboy

Hi gang.

Are they worth the bother ?. I had a'n Aga one fitted about 5 or 6 years ago and it was a 5 min wonder.

I just got fed up poncing about. Lazyness really.  What are your views ?.

Thanks all.

My old house had no central heating for the first few years.  Back then you could still get a decent supply of free wood.  I cut, split and stacked 4 to 6 tons a year of all sorts and it kept us warm. 

Smokeless coal on a decent stove is wonderful.  Hours and hours of heat and you can keep it going for months without relighting.

Grew up with one and finally got one put in about 5 years ago. Don’t need it (have central heating in a house built circa 1970) but we love it. 

You have to be fairly committed to the ‘faff’ although you can just buy and have wood etc delivered (and stacked for you!) though I try to avoid it. Sciatica for 6 months meant I’ve had to go to the dark side and cough up of late. Coal last ages. 

Owing to Mrs Hod liking heat at all times of the year, I’m also frequently sweating in shorts and T shirt in my living room… 

Edited by hod

We built a new house 2 years ago.My wife is an architect so she wanted something pretty modern.It is timber frame,almost passive and has no oil heating.We have underfloor heating which we have never used and a large (I think 8kw) double fronted stove in the open plan kitchen/living room.There is 6" of insulation in the walls and 12" in the roof spaces plus lots of glass so it heats up quickly and stays warm.

I have a pretty much unlimited amount of wood to use and keep topping it up every year.We have heat recovery so that pumps the hot air round the house from the kitchen but it is often too hot.I have seen the living room get to 27°c just by burning logs and that is far too hot for me.

Just had it running for three days without burning out and there was only a small amount of ash in the tray,I would guess we use less than a fertiliser bag of logs per day and we have yet to use coal.

My only issue bar the high temp is that if you use wood that is any way damp then the glass gets very dirty but if the wood is well seasoned then it is fine.I wouldn't be without it and find it no more hassle than any open fire that I have had in other houses.

19 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Are they worth the bother ?. I had a'n Aga one fitted about 5 or 6 years ago and it was a 5 min wonder.

I just got fed up poncing about. Lazyness really.  What are your views ?.

Thanks all.

Just looking at one for our house, so far so good, hamlet 5 wide looks like it will fit our fireplace and we can get a lot of free wood and will buy some. 

We wanted one for a while but could not get one fitted in our old house but in the this one we have a good chimney, full depth hearth and enough space for a reasonably wide stove.

They are tremendous.  Our’s goes 24/7 from sept - may. Filled during the day when we are out and during the night with smokeless coal (sue me lol) and filled with wood at other times and when people are it in the house passing. We are a mid 90’s build in a smokeless area. 

The only issue is they aren’t cheap to run unless you have access to free wood, somewhere to store the wood and a chain saw.  Wood is easily come by, especially in the summer months (and after storms).