Mental health form

dipper

Talking to my mate last week he just took 2 mental health forms for the doctor to sign for renewal of S/G/C .For himself and one for his wife. She’s not a shooter . The doctor charged him £100  50  for each of them . Took my form for my doctor to sign last week.Got phone call from receptionist today saying I can pick it up it’s a shotgun. And rifle combined. I asked  about the fee .She said no charge.

Maybe there is a history of mental health problems with his wife and she is known to the police, we get people on here mentioning that the police enquire about family living with them if they have something in their past.

The full story from the horses mouth would be handy.

Read the new licensing guidelines and it mentions deeper background checks for you and your family. 

Maybe as suggested, there has been sim need of Police intervention in the past or previous declarations of her mental state too.

Think we will see a lot more of these more widespread requests 

i have heard thro albeit a dodgy grapevine that in the future.....that it is possible in order to be granted a certificate the applicant must supply a pyschriatric assesment...and this bill will add maybe an extra £300 quid to the certificate

as i said i have no proof of this..........but i wouldnt..put it past the authorities for this to be introduced.........the anti groups within govt want to make it so expensive for someone to hold a liecence.....it would force the majority of us to think twice about continuing our sport

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have heard thro albeit a dodgy grapevine that in the future.....that it is possible in order to be granted a certificate the applicant must supply a pyschriatric assesment...and this bill will add maybe an extra £300 quid to the certificate

as i said i have no proof of this..........but i wouldnt..put it past the authorities for this to be introduced.........the anti groups within govt want to make it so expensive for someone to hold a liecence.....it would force the majority of us to think twice about continuing our sport

The extra cost would be more than all my s x s are worth , mind you , how the demand is going with s x s I dare the fee at the moment would buy a cabinet full of run of the mill s x s.

Only one thing for it and that is to use the heating allowance to help to cover the extra cost and then pile on some extra clothing , so if you have got any ole socks I might be heading towards the out backs of Cantley:drinks:

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The extra cost would be more than all my s x s are worth , mind you , how the demand is going with s x s I dare the fee at the moment would buy a cabinet full of run of the mill s x s.

Only one thing for it and that is to use the heating allowance to help to cover the extra cost and then pile on some extra clothing , so if you have got any ole socks I might be heading towards the out backs of Cantley:drinks:

nope not in Cantley anymore ...im in Needham now

9 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Not Normal For Norfolk?

Very normal , in fact we treat nothing as abnormal , we had a pub nearby that had the bar in Norfolk and the lounge in Suffolk , there was a metal plaque on the outside wall that stated the boundary went straight through the middle .

On a shooting theme , we have got drives where you can shoot a Pheasant in one county and pick it up in a different one , same as flight ponds , we have got one or two where we can legally shoot them on a Sunday and the ones across the road we have to leave them alone as there is no wildfowl shooting in Norfolk on a Sunday.

So Jim , what is the definition of normal ? :hmm:

On 02/12/2021 at 09:47, marsh man said:

Very normal , in fact we treat nothing as abnormal , we had a pub nearby that had the bar in Norfolk and the lounge in Suffolk , there was a metal plaque on the outside wall that stated the boundary went straight through the middle .

On a shooting theme , we have got drives where you can shoot a Pheasant in one county and pick it up in a different one , same as flight ponds , we have got one or two where we can legally shoot them on a Sunday and the ones across the road we have to leave them alone as there is no wildfowl shooting in Norfolk on a Sunday.

So Jim , what is the definition of normal ? 

If I was cynical I'd say that pub made up the story as a marketing ruse... could you also take a pee in Norfolk and it landed in Suffolk?  That would be cool 😅

My above comment was supposed to be witty in some fashion but probably got lost in translation between brain and screen.

We also have villages in Northants that have Leicestershire post codes... I'm told it's because otherwise the villages' addresses would have the post town as Corby, and the well-to-do set in said villages didn't want to be associated with such a lower class image!

There are positives to have a partner with a licence. I'll use the lord of the mansion example....

The servant has to drive his masters gun to the shoot, or even take to a gunsmith to get it serviced
The servant goes and buys more carts whilst at the shops
The servant doesn't need the keys hidden from them!

Being able to help your partner is good, and not having to hide keys and what not is even better. I am sure if she shot, there would be times it would be useful for him to have a licence also. :)

7 hours ago, clangerman said:

renewal reminder come this morning so from first of jan Avon and Somerset are joining the gp form farce lucky i will miss it this time but won’t renew again had enough 

Which part do you consider a farce?

Which part is absurd or ludicrous? The form that is trying to ensure physical and mental health of licence holders, or the fact you feel you are being taxed for a service that previously you've gratefully received gratis?

As a new licence holder, I find it frankly a little odd that the old "no news is good news" a bit risky. I am not sure what you have had enough of, if the first time you have to do it is in 5 years time? Maybe if you are getting that upset at the thought of it needing to be done in 5 years time that the farce is that it's not in place now.... 

Sorry I know you are going to see that as a personal attack, but I really don't get why you think it's a farce, or why you'd give it all up over a medical form if you have nothing to worry about, or why you have had enough. Just seems quite..... dramatic? I hope you find a new sport in 5 years time to keep you happy, and more hope that they don't change any rules or procedures :)

8 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Which part is absurd or ludicrous? The form that is trying to ensure physical and mental health of licence holders, or the fact you feel you are being taxed for a service that previously you've gratefully received gratis?

As a new licence holder, I find it frankly a little odd that the old "no news is good news" a bit risky. I am not sure what you have had enough of, if the first time you have to do it is in 5 years time? Maybe if you are getting that upset at the thought of it needing to be done in 5 years time that the farce is that it's not in place now.... 

Sorry I know you are going to see that as a personal attack, but I really don't get why you think it's a farce, or why you'd give it all up over a medical form if you have nothing to worry about, or why you have had enough. Just seems quite..... dramatic? I hope you find a new sport in 5 years time to keep you happy, and more hope that they don't change any rules or procedures :)

you have never been able to stroll through a village with a shotgun on your arm or seen endless restrictions during your lifetime I have ticket holders can lose the plot in mins so these forms are nothing but a scapegoat job on gps any service that returns a firearm to a nut who then kills people which we had recently is a farce having left the police with egg on their faces more than once I know how the farce operates enjoy your shooting career 

I appreciate an honest answer. I have never had that, you're correct. That said I lived opposite and next to a farm growing up, and shotguns were a tool and wasn't uncommon to see one without freaking.

Times do change, and whilst it doesn't stop what happened and indeed the Police may have scapegoated, it does to me feel like a logical addition as a check gate. Shame you feel it's now too much though 😞

17 hours ago, HantsRob said:

Various elements:

1) It started off as voluntary

2) Scotland made it mandatory

3) Some regions in England started to follow suit

4) Feels like it is creeping further into becoming mandatory

5) It is being done by stealth, with police deciding what is happengin rather than legislation

6) There is no common process - it varies between forces

7) There is no common process with doctor's surgeries, or agreed costs

8). Many people get it free, others are expected to pay (and have paid) hundreds of pounds.

17 hours ago, HantsRob said:

or the fact you feel you are being taxed for a service that previously you've gratefully received gratis?

The service isn't for us, and is nothing to do with tax - never has been.  The management of certificates is part of what the police are expected to do to ensure public safety and therefore should be borne by public funds.  There is no service provision to us.

39 minutes ago, Piebob said:

Various elements:

1) It started off as voluntary

2) Scotland made it mandatory

3) Some regions in England started to follow suit

4) Feels like it is creeping further into becoming mandatory

5) It is being done by stealth, with police deciding what is happengin rather than legislation

6) There is no common process - it varies between forces

7) There is no common process with doctor's surgeries, or agreed costs

8). Many people get it free, others are expected to pay (and have paid) hundreds of pounds.

The service isn't for us, and is nothing to do with tax - never has been.  The management of certificates is part of what the police are expected to do to ensure public safety and therefore should be borne by public funds.  There is no service provision to us.

:good: 

• 1 month later...