Travelling on train/underground with a shotgun

spandit

I'm visiting a mate in Leicester this weekend and he's suggested we go clay pigeon shooting. Thought I'd take my shotgun with me rather than paying to hire them, but I'm coming back on the train. Anyone taken a shotgun (in a slip!) on public transport? I'd keep it on my person and can put the fore-end into my rucksack. Likely to have cartridges with me too, but I'll be carrying my licence.

20 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

It is illegal now on anywhere controlled by TfL ie London Underground and buses to transport any form of firearm or air weapon.

Part of Mayor Khan's woke agenda which serves no useful purpose what so ever.

I wonder how the stalkers getting the night train to Inverness get round it

Can you please link to this rule? I can't find the reference

13 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I'd leave the ammo at home .

Hoping it will all be discharged somewhere near a clay pigeon, or at least in the same county

How times change!

In the late 60’s / early 70’s I had a friend who didn’t drive and had to catch two buses there and back to reach his shooting. He didn’t even have a gun slip and would often return with tails sticking out of his game bag. Nobody used to bat an eyelid.

Now I don’t even know anybody who ever travels on public transport (flights excluded).

Edited by London Best

39 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

It is illegal now on anywhere controlled by TfL ie London Underground and buses to transport any form of firearm or air weapon.

Part of Mayor Khan's woke agenda which serves no useful purpose what so ever.

I wonder how the stalkers getting the night train to Inverness get round it

They probably just don’t tell anyone. 🤷‍♂️That’s how I’d do it. 

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Not at the moment im working but It has had a big impact on quite a few of the London based rifle and pistol clubs and gun shops. Holts used to hold auctions in Hammersmith and had to stop.

It's not listed on their conditions of carriage:

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/terms-and-conditions/ticketing-and-travel-conditions-of-carriage

The only references to firearms I can find is that you aren't allowed to film people using them:

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/filming-and-photography/filming-and-photography-on-tfl?intcmp=1594

As far as I'm concerned, I'm covered by Section 19 of the Firearms Act. I very much doubt I'd be stopped if it's tucked into a bag

29 minutes ago, spandit said:

It's not listed on their conditions of carriage:

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/terms-and-conditions/ticketing-and-travel-conditions-of-carriage

The only references to firearms I can find is that you aren't allowed to film people using them:

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/filming-and-photography/filming-and-photography-on-tfl?intcmp=1594

As far as I'm concerned, I'm covered by Section 19 of the Firearms Act. I very much doubt I'd be stopped if it's tucked into a bag

I couldn’t find anything either, and certainly nothing recent, but I didn’t delve deeply admittedly. 
As you say, just break it down and tuck it in a bag, that’s what we used to do when working away. 

11 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Phone call to ask the proper procedures could potentially save a horrendous amount of hassle 

just a thought 🤔

Trouble is, most phone lines aren't answered by people who know that level of detail. You need to published policy so you can carry a copy with you.  I heard Peter Glenser (former BASC chair) speak on going to Scotland on the sleeper with guns. The staff quite often have no idea.

19 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Trouble is, most phone lines aren't answered by people who know that level of detail. You need to published policy so you can carry a copy with you.  I heard Peter Glenser (former BASC chair) speak on going to Scotland on the sleeper with guns. The staff quite often have no idea.

I fully understand that 

but they can point you to the person you need to get the policy from 

I’m very familiar with the problem of travelling with firearms and hazardous cargo ( ( (cartridges) 

I’ve also seen the outcome of not declaring them 

2 minutes ago, Aled said:

Break it down and put it in your holdall, its unlikely anybody would even know its there! As an aside my mate was once asked at an airport what was in the fishing rod tube, in his suitcase, and if it was dangerous.

Even if it was a gun, I'd say "no, it's not dangerous". I will see how it looks in my rucksack...

I've decided to leave the shotgun at home. As far as I know, you can hire guns at the club and it's not as if mine is custom fitted or going to improve my lacklustre performance. I'll be travelling on a couple of trains and a coach. It's against their terms of carriage and I'd be worrying about it

20 hours ago, spandit said:

I've decided to leave the shotgun at home. As far as I know, you can hire guns at the club and it's not as if mine is custom fitted or going to improve my lacklustre performance. I'll be travelling on a couple of trains and a coach. It's against their terms of carriage and I'd be worrying about it

It's not worth the hassle,  good decision 👍

21 hours ago, spandit said:

Fair play. If it’s going to prey on your mind then it’s not worth the hassle.