Soundbars

30-6

I know sound bars are designed for music enhancement, but are they helpful for hearing loss ?

With flat screen TV's having speakers facing backwards away from you, would they have any beneficial advantages to help while watching day to day TV ? Placed in front so facing you ?

It helps me, but some films and TV are still a pain the way they're made, you get things just right so you aren't struggling to listen to conversations then the action starts and it's so loud you have to turn it down, then up then.....

The other thing that's strange is where you watch programs from, we have a free view box and if we watch through that the TV volume will be on 20, but watch through the smart TV or the dongle thingy 😉 and it's on maybe 11

Voice clarity is a pain in some films - the sound is encoded for stereo or surround sound with a centre speaker for the spoken dialogue - no centre speaker equals poor voice quality.

By pure chance we 'fixed it' by buying a new TV four years ago - a Sony OLED where the surface of the screen itself is the speaker with a built in sub at the rear for the low frequency stuff. 

"What"......... far to much loud engine noise and far too much shooting.  She mumbles and turns away right at the end of speaking.  I hosed the ears out and got fitted with very neat hearing aids.  I can now hear her speaking but it could be in French or Italian.   I'm sure it's like that for a lot of blokes.  We got a Logic sound bar and we have to select the higher pitched selection because generally the sound is so bassey.  We tried another bar and that was very similar.  I do have a pair of wireless ear pods and these are brilliant. We bought a new LG oled 55 tv and there are several types of sound modes on there but that doesn't get over how suddenly the sound level can rear up and down.  I can walk all over the house and still eep locked on to the sound.  The only downside of these is that the sound is cut from the sound bar and the tv so she isn't able to hear the tv.  The answer would have been to wear hearing protection years ago.   The whole lot of it is a pain.

Just fitted the cable to our sound bar, and it is chalk and cheese. I don't as yet have a hearing problem but it is probably in the post as I worked with heavy machinery for most of my life, mostly with hearing protection but due to the nature of the job, sometimes without.

Hope you get it sorted!

I used an optical cable but changed to Bluetooth.  The only downside is that sometimes the whole lot drops out of drive and the whole lot goes into mass overdrive boost volume and if I wasn't half deaf before we are afterwards.   Ever had a close discharge from a 270 or 308.??   Zing. Zing, Zing. ....