Letter from the Chief Constable

TIGHTCHOKE

12 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I believe it may be a generic letter to all FAC and SGC holders, but if you haven't had one perhaps not.

I live in Cumbria and I received the same letter too. I rang Penrith and asked to speak to the Superintendent who wrote the letter, the answer was no.

23 minutes ago, BlaserF3 said:

I live in Cumbria and I received the same letter too. I rang Penrith and asked to speak to the Superintendent who wrote the letter, the answer was no.

I’m assuming they’re writing to households whom own a kitchen drawer full of knives too. Gonna cost a lot in stamps.  
I shall eagerly await mine. 🙂

I’m assuming they’re writing to households whom own a kitchen drawer full of knives too. Gonna cost a lot in stamps.  

They won't know who owns knives, but they have access to who has a driving licnece. I find it odd that shooters have been singled out.

Why has a copy of the letter not been sent to every household?

2 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

We can’t assume that ownership of a gun makes us immune to mental illness.

There’s more of it about, and if the letter helps anyone … it’s been worth it. 

Covid: Lockdown had 'major impact' on mental health https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54616688

I don’t think anyone assumes they’re immune. The numerous queries about mental health issues on this forum suggest we’re as normal as anyone else. 
It would be interesting to know what the response would be if someone contacted licensing to suggest they had suicidal inclinations…..a sympathetic phone call with offers of advice and help, or armed response smashing in the front door? 
As I suggested, the only reason they wouldn’t send letters to ‘deadly kitchen knife’ ( sorry, but of emotive journalistic spin there ) owners, is they don’t issue licenses for them, yet the illegal use of knives claims more lives in this country than shooting ever has, especially on a daily basis. 
I find it rather patronising. 

I dont think anyone needs to be defensive about this letter. It's clearly generic and aimed at gun users who have a simple means to commit suicide. I wonder if a recent one prompted them to send it, perhaps from the coroner? Who knows, either way it's not a bad thing. A number of other organisations and news papers print similiar generic stuff daily. 

Having been to a far more suicides than I want to and knowing there are plenty more to come I welcome the letter. 

8 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I dont think anyone needs to be defensive about this letter. It's clearly generic and aimed at gun users who have a simple means to commit suicide. I wonder if a recent one prompted them to send it, perhaps from the coroner? Who knows, either way it's not a bad thing. A number of other organisations and news papers print similiar generic stuff daily. 

Having been to a far more suicides than I want to and knowing there are plenty more to come I welcome the letter. 

But it’s not a letter about care is it, it’s about guns, because they issue the licenses. 
If it were a genuine generic letter of care it would have been issued as a public information advert and released by the government /NHS to the general public via tv. 
The lack of a firearm is no obstacle to suicides. 

Scully, what's the issue? It's a letter sent to gun owners about mental health and what to do if you need help. Is that a bad thing?

Yes it singles out gun owners, as its sent from the licensing department its going to. If the police don't send out a simple letter (perhaps at the request of another agency or office as often happens) they get criticism, if they do send it out they are "singling us out" and get criticism. I can't see the issue. I've tried but I can't. 

Your right about kitchen knife and cars, pieces of rope could be included along with over the counter medicines and alcohol and matches (they tend to be hangings or tablets but not always). Occasionally a gun user kills themselves, maybe the rarity of it (about 100 or so a year) is due to letters such as this. Maybe not. I don't know  but I cannot see the harm in the letter.

Most suicides are impulsive and have had little thought put into them, those that survive say as much and often wanted to go for help but didn't know where to turn. They just acted on impulse. Maybe, just maybe, this letter will help 1 person. That's good enough as far as I'm concerned. I don't see the need to demand to speak to senior officers or march on Parliament over it, perhaps I've got more concerning things to worry about. 

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

This is pretty much the way I see it .  I can't see that it could do any harm , and it might just point someone in the direction of help if they need it.

I don't think that it's firearms users in particular (yes it is in this instance),  as we're getting things like this at work , I'm also seeing related things on the news etc. As a society , we've certainly been waking up to mental health issues over the last few years.

39 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Scully, what's the issue? It's a letter sent to gun owners about mental health and what to do if you need help. Is that a bad thing?

Yes it singles out gun owners, as its sent from the licensing department its going to. If the police don't send out a simple letter (perhaps at the request of another agency or office as often happens) they get criticism, if they do send it out they are "singling us out" and get criticism. I can't see the issue. I've tried but I can't. 

Your right about kitchen knife and cars, pieces of rope could be included along with over the counter medicines and alcohol and matches (they tend to be hangings or tablets but not always). Occasionally a gun user kills themselves, maybe the rarity of it (about 100 or so a year) is due to letters such as this. Maybe not. I don't know  but I cannot see the harm in the letter.

Most suicides are impulsive and have had little thought put into them, those that survive say as much and often wanted to go for help but didn't know where to turn. They just acted on impulse. Maybe, just maybe, this letter will help 1 person. That's good enough as far as I'm concerned. I don't see the need to demand to speak to senior officers or march on Parliament over it, perhaps I've got more concerning things to worry about. 

Really? I’m pretty sure that given the prerequisites of being granted a ticket, firearms owners are more aware than most of when, how and where to seek help if it’s needed. There are many reasons for suicides, but most who succeed don’t want help. There are cries for help of course, but you don’t survive a cry for help with a shotgun. 
I wonder if all those serving armed officers will be receiving similar letters, or possibly even our armed forces personnel? 
If you believe the letters have arisen from a genuine care, then I believe you’re a little naive.
The old ‘if it saves one life it’ll be worth it’ mentality is as ridiculous as it is annoying. 
As TC mentioned, it’s just yet another meaningless backside covering exercise. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Really? I’m pretty sure that given the prerequisites of being granted a ticket, firearms owners are more aware than most of when, how and where to seek help if it’s needed. There are many reasons for suicides, but most who succeed don’t want help. There are cries for help of course, but you don’t survive a cry for help with a shotgun. 
I wonder if all those serving armed officers will be receiving similar letters, or possibly even our armed forces personnel? 
If you believe the letters have arisen from a genuine care, then I believe you’re a little naive.
The old ‘if it saves one life it’ll be worth it’ mentality is as ridiculous as it is annoying. 
As TC mentioned, it’s just yet another meaningless backside covering exercise. 

I don't think it matters what anyone says, you have your views and will stick to them. 

Just for you information, if your arrested you get a similar letter on release, a victim of crime also, when I go to the loo there's posters telling me who to call should I feel depressed,  the same when I log on to the computer. It's It's over the news. The armed forces have similiar. Armed police have mandatory referrals regardless as did I in another role.  The wife has similiar in her work that has nothing to do with the government or police. Is it backside covering? To an extent, its probably  more like an awakening to a massive mental health crisis not helped by lock down. It could all just be a conspiracy against firearms owners though. 

I’m with gingercat on this one. It may be **** covering and they are going to focus on firearms owners… they are a firearms licensing department. But…

They have to be seen to say something and offer some help… for the few that do kill themselves with a shotgun…as they are the ones that literally gave them the means to kill themselves. There has been a rise in suicides due to COVID. Rural, farming men particularly are in an at risk group and most of these people own a shotgun. 

Throughout my career I have gone to many suicides (by shotgun included) and had to inform family members. Mandatory mental health referrals go in every time. If there was anything ANYONE could of done to help that person their family would of wanted them to. In terms of licensing taking the guns off you when you tell them you are suicidal…damn right. Why shouldn't they.    It is a privilege with conditions, like a driving licence not a right as so many assume. Police have a duty to preserve life and it would take a brave person not to make that decision. How would you feel if it was your relative that killed themselves and the police had done nothing. Damned if they do damned if they dont. But it may be a conspiracy, you never know. 

I've been to more than my share of suicides too, Jim. If someone so inclined hasn't seen fit to seek assistance from friends, family or their doctor I can't see a letter from Fireams Licencing making a toss of difference to any decision they're going to make. Waste of a lot of stamps in my opinion.