Letter from the Chief Constable

TIGHTCHOKE

Sako, I get it. And if someone is going todo it they will, if they can’t use a shotgun they will find another way.

It’s just how it looks at coroners court. They have to be seen to do something. Sending a letter is a good starting point. The more they do, the less shotgun suicides there is, surely is less scrutiny on us. Which is only a good thing right? If shotgun suicides go up all that will happen is the coroner will start getting more stringent legislation around gun ownership and enforce even more hurdles. In my experience coroners tend to get what they want. 

I just don’t see it as a conspiracy against gun ownership. Doing the right thing. Maybe. **** covering. Probably.

At the end of the day someone is trying todo something which I think is better than everyone doing nothing. 

Edited by Jim2915

I'm not suggesting any kind of conspiracy.

It's just shameless *** covering which won't stop anyone killing themselves. My dealings with the Coroners Court have been lets say varied, with a definite well intended and realistic agenda from some Coroners who were certainly not seeking the troublesome truth. They certainly wield considerable influence but I don't see today's crop of them being placated by any amount of generic letter sending by the police.    

No one has suggested a conspiracy at all, but to suggest this has happened from a perceived duty of care is simply ridiculous. The police don’t do ‘care’ other than as an immediate response until they can get the professionals like social care involved. 
As far as I’m aware this isn’t national policy and targeted only towards gun owners; that says it all in my opinion. 

Sad, isn't it? When society gets into such a state that an action which on the face of it is designed to help protect those to whom it was targeted (among others) is deemed by those very folk to be detrimental to their way of life. Even worse are the prevailing activities of those responsible for society coming to that conclusion and who continue to do so unrestrained. 

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Sad, isn't it? When society gets into such a state that an action which on the face of it is designed to help protect those to whom it was targeted (among others) is deemed by those very folk to be detrimental to their way of life. Even worse are the prevailing activities of those responsible for society coming to that conclusion and who continue to do so unrestrained. 

Could you explain the last sentence please?

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

It’s not even detrimental to my way of life Wymberley, I just regard it as cynical and insincere. 

17 hours ago, Jim2915 said:

I’m with gingercat on this one. It may be **** covering and they are going to focus on firearms owners… they are a firearms licensing department. But…

They have to be seen to say something and offer some help… for the few that do kill themselves with a shotgun…as they are the ones that literally gave them the means to kill themselves. There has been a rise in suicides due to COVID. Rural, farming men particularly are in an at risk group and most of these people own a shotgun. 

Throughout my career I have gone to many suicides (by shotgun included) and had to inform family members. Mandatory mental health referrals go in every time. If there was anything ANYONE could of done to help that person their family would of wanted them to. In terms of licensing taking the guns off you when you tell them you are suicidal…damn right. Why shouldn't they.    It is a privilege with conditions, like a driving licence not a right as so many assume. Police have a duty to preserve life and it would take a brave person not to make that decision. How would you feel if it was your relative that killed themselves and the police had done nothing. Damned if they do damned if they dont. But it may be a conspiracy, you never know. 

You make some good points Jim, which I find myself agreeing with. However I must respectfully disagree re: 

“It is a privilege with conditions, like a driving licence not a right as so many assume.”

It is absolutely a legal right subject to basic conditions being met. You meet these certain reasonable criteria - i.e you’re not a criminal or mad - and you can have a gun. The rest is just paperwork…….or should I say ‘data-streaming’ these days. 

One or two public figures have trotted out this ‘it’s a privilege’ mantra and while it may suit their agenda - they too are wrong I’m afraid. 

Received my letter today. 

I wasn’t even aware there was such a thing as a Constabulary Suicide Prevention Lead Superintendent, but Cumbria has one. He is named at the foot of the letter. 
I was wondering if it was just firearms owners who had been singled out for these letters, and apparently it is, because if you want to respond by email, it goes straight to firearms licensing. 
So there you go. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/12/2021 at 16:12, Scully said:

It’s not even detrimental to my way of life Wymberley, I just regard it as cynical and insincere. 

11 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Quite.

Yep, concur. On reflection, my post was worded too strongly, but you probably got my drift. I think it must be an age thing that there remains the remnants of being content to take things at face value and that people are only trying to help. Naive in the extreme currently. Sad.