Fieldsports Britian...... Shooter under pressure

8 shot

Just watched the above, what state are the BASC in, and FSB should really know better. I had to watch it from behind the sofa. Dear oh dear....

The BASC employee clearly has no experience at all of game shooting or fieldsports if it comes to it, and he should have never been put forward for this.

A very flimsy advert for both BASC and there sponsers

Had to turn it off. Felt so bad for the guy. Gun was in his arm pit and his hands shaking just unloading cartridges. I recognised one of his fellow guns, who was one of the finest game shots of his generation and has his own clay ground that he teaches at. 

Edited by WalkedUp

I have been slated many times on this forum for criticising BASC! Them criticisms haven’t aged well!

Seemed a really nice bloke but was put far outside of his competencies by his employer.

If this is best BASC can deliver then do you really want to rely on them for insurance or public representation on TV!! We desperately need something better!

I curled my toes and watched more of it. It was a car crash. He was on his phone “working” during a shoot. He should be doing one or the other properly, very poor form to be playing on your phone during a shoot day rather than interacting with your fellow guns, beaters and host. I would not invite him back.

Also no inexperienced gun should switch to a unseen gun, even if it is a Perrazzi, on a live game day especially with a camera crew. When he produced his hammer gun it was clear the guy was style over substance. Sadly he was a poor reflection on us plastic scousers. He poked at the birds no swing, and Mount was clearly abysmal. 

Having said that, there is no way I would agree to being filmed on a shoot! 

3 hours ago, JDog said:

The camera man was very unkind. He should have spotted the difficulties the BASC man was having and focused elsewhere.

The camera man did his job. If he had rocked up and not held the camera steady and filmed it all out of focus he would be sacked. Im not blaming the man as per but BASC should have really given him some training or have sent someone who knew what they was doing!

Not at all, we all support new and young shots to get into the sport. However they are not usually doing it on our dime! The BASC man was wearing more that most yearly shooting budgets and he was being paid to be there. Fair game IMO! He should have spent a few quid on lessons rather than tweed and a pre trained dog. Or they should have sent a local young gun.

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Now that is absolute rubbish.

Hardly. I would say the marjory of working men have a budget of around £1,000 per year.

The man was completely unprepared and unqualified for the role he was getting paid to do. His job was to represent shooting and BASC on a media platform.

How can BASC expect us or the public to take them or their research seriously when they send this calibre of representative out into the field. He may be excellent at the office side of things, and that’s where he should stay until he’s had some lessons and more experience of game shooting. 

This isn’t to say shooting is an elite hobby for top shots only. Far from it, because they are not being paid to represent a shooting organisation. Like saying football is an elite hobby because I would expect a representative of FIFA attending an event to have sound knowledge and experience of the game of football. 

Zip dog,

I was referring to the fact that the guy’s tweed which was being picked out for criticism did not cost anywhere near most people’s annual shooting budget, and certainly cost less than your £1000/year figure, which is only a box of cartridges and a small round of clays per week.

On 05/12/2021 at 00:40, zipdog said:

I have been slated many times on this forum for criticising BASC! Them criticisms haven’t aged well!

Seemed a really nice bloke but was put far outside of his competencies by his employer.

If this is best BASC can deliver then do you really want to rely on them for insurance or public representation on TV!! We desperately need something better!

This. Indeed given the Richard Ali fiasco one does wonder how exactly the do select the shortlist of candidates. I think this guy may be doing the job at BASC that I maybe applied for as one of the second tier "regional representatives"? It's OK saying that folk are maybe camera shy or face to face with groups of people but then IMHO he isn't suitable for the role from the offset. 

46 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Hardly. I would say the marjory of working men have a budget of around £1,000 per year.

The man was completely unprepared and unqualified for the role he was getting paid to do. His job was to represent shooting and BASC on a media platform.

How can BASC expect us or the public to take them or their research seriously when they send this calibre of representative out into the field. He may be excellent at the office side of things, and that’s where he should stay until he’s had some lessons and more experience of game shooting. 

This isn’t to say shooting is an elite hobby for top shots only. Far from it, because they are not being paid to represent a shooting organisation. Like saying football is an elite hobby because I would expect a representative of FIFA attending an event to have sound knowledge and experience of the game of football. 

A few good points ZipDog but my own personal experience beating years back on a large pheasant shoot There was a lot of elitism among the guns on the drives regarding presentation of the birds ,guns ,clothing etc There was a lot bravado us beaters had to listen to Regarding bank balances etc I’m a working class lad I didn’t find it very welcoming so I never went back with my dog I’m not saying anyone who pays a large sum of money to shoot pheasants should not expect 1st class experience But in my view some shooting sports there is elitism Just my view 👍

I felt rather sorry for the chap.
It didn't appear as some sort of propaganda/publicity exercise, they almost seemed to ambush him when he was out shooting.
Having someone filming you that closely must be off putting, I am not sure how I would have done in the same circumstances.

Driven game shooting is only one part of the "sport" BASC represents and the fact that the chap dressed up for the day is nothing to ridicule.
If he had been invited for a days pigeon shooting, would everyone have criticised his camo ?
I doubt it.
The usual "toffs" and "working men" comments does nobody any favours.

I also think the two shots fired with the hammer gun, where the gun mount was poor, were staged.

33 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

A few good points ZipDog but my own personal experience beating years back on a large pheasant shoot There was a lot of elitism among the guns on the drives regarding presentation of the birds ,guns ,clothing etc There was a lot bravado us beaters had to listen to Regarding bank balances etc I’m a working class lad I didn’t find it very welcoming so I never went back with my dog I’m not saying anyone who pays a large sum of money to shoot pheasants should not expect 1st class experience But in my view some shooting sports there is elitism Just my view 👍

I agree with your points there, and I have seen first hand on many occasions exactly what you are describing on big shoots. 

I still feel/hope the majority of the shooting fraternity still consists of working class men on small DIY syndicates. 

57 minutes ago, zipdog said:

I agree with your points there, and I have seen first hand on many occasions exactly what you are describing on big shoots. 

I still feel/hope the majority of the shooting fraternity still consists of working class men on small DIY syndicates. 

I can only vouch for the shoots I have been on in my area and find the snobbery is a thing of the past , maybe I have known the guns for a long while and we are always on first name terms , even any new guns that have bought a day seem on the same wave length , I can go back to the mid 60s where the only Pheasants you were likely to see were on the estates that were owned by the gentry , I must admit that the gap from them and us at the time were light years apart and as we had no comparison with other shoots we took their snobbery as part of the norm .

Nowadays if anyone , or should I say nearly everyone who would like a shot at game could most likely afford a day or share a day standing on a peg , cheaper still if you bought a walk and stand day from the many small do it yourself shoots , we all go to enjoy the day in whatever role we are their for , this might be picking up , beating , driving the game cart or the guns and beaters , the only thing that can dampen the day is the weather and even then we keep a smile on our face while we grin and bear it . 

11 hours ago, London Best said:

Now that is absolute rubbish.

It was an exaggeration for effect, but clearly a case of all the gear and no idea. 

34 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

We have enough people at us with out bickering and taking the **** out of our own. You see the poor sod wasn't comfortable for what ever reason but he kept at it. We are only human 

I had sympathy for him initially, but when he started sending work emails that was beyond the pale.

For me it's no the man himself but the UK's biggest shooting organisation that employs him, with members subscriptions !. I would hope they would employ at very least people with a shooting, hunting, conservation back ground which i know they used to. To clearly send someone out on location to be filmed, with what i would say no experience at all of game shooting is completely thoughtless. We as members pay there wages to hopefully promote and protect are various countrysports in a professional manner, which of late doesn't seem to be the case. Have they/we got the right people in place in the BASC or is it a case of these are all we can get. Several shooting schools in my area opened there doors to The BASC Young Shot scheme with great success as i understand it, wouldn't a film on a few youngsters from the scheme been more appropriate. The Schools Challenge on The Tube went down very well i believe which was set up and run by a gunshop and a few willing sponsers all with a lot less money and coverage that the BASC has.