Tips for roast Pink foot goose

Manish

So the unbelievable happened last weekend. I made contact with a pink!!!!!! I have been thinking about having it roasted for xmas eve or xmas day but having never cooked one was hoping of some tips for you chaps with more experience. 

Im considering wrapping in streaky bacon (everything is better with bacon) and roasting for 10mins at 200fan. Does that seem about right?

I have no idea what 200fan is, I cook on/with gas.

I'm guessing some kind of super-duper instant microwave type cooking machine, possibly a thermo nuclear explosion type?

10mins? I cook bacon for more than 10mins.

Or you sure its not a very small duck.

🤣🤣🤣

Written tongue in cheek for those who bite

I would have thought at least 2 hours in a gas oven (once lit) maybe more.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

I have no idea what 200fan is, I cook on/with gas.

I'm guessing some kind of super-duper instant microwave type cooking machine, possibly a thermo nuclear explosion type?

10mins? I cook bacon for more than 10mins.

Or you sure its not a very small duck.

🤣🤣🤣

Written tongue in cheek for those who bite

I would have thought at least 2 hours in a gas oven (once lit) maybe more.

What gas mark?? Do you normally cook a pink for 2hrs?? I did a greylag once thing was done in 30 mins

Normally the long haired indoor general does the cooking, but as she's poorly I can't ask. 

As I recall, and I maybe wrong of course cos I'm a man.

Pluck it, clean it, put an onion inside, maybe an apple too. Rub outside with butter, cover with strips of streaky unsmoked bacon. Now this is where I might be wrong, in oven gas mark 5? I'll check with my daughter later, she cooked the last Canadian we had. Cook for at least 2 hours or untill juices start to run clear. Outside should be a nice golden brown too.

I will ask the boss later just to make sure, she knows everything 😀 she normally tells me I cook everything too fast on too high a gas.

I just asked the long haired indoor general, she says don't forget to p-rick (can't write that as one word) the skin first in multiple places to let out the fat. Don't use butter or bacon there's already too much fat in it. Definitely apple or onion up its jacksee.

Stand it on a rack in a roasting tin to drain and catch the fat, jar it up for later. Cook in oven gas mark 6/7 for about half hour, then turn down to about gas 5 for 3 hours till it runs clear. Test it like you'd do a turkey. Actual time depends on weight. Rest for at least half hour before serving.

She also says Ditchies recipie sounds about right for anything less than the above.

The fat once cooled and jared can be used like lard or used to run on your chest and soles of your feet when you have a cold.

54 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Normally the long haired indoor general does the cooking, but as she's poorly I can't ask. 

As I recall, and I maybe wrong of course cos I'm a man.

Pluck it, clean it, put an onion inside, maybe an apple too. Rub outside with butter, cover with strips of streaky unsmoked bacon. Now this is where I might be wrong, in oven gas mark 5? I'll check with my daughter later, she cooked the last Canadian we had. Cook for at least 2 hours or untill juices start to run clear. Outside should be a nice golden brown too.

I will ask the boss later just to make sure, she knows everything 😀 she normally tells me I cook everything too fast on too high a gas.

33 minutes ago, ditchman said:

boil it............chuck the juice away ..........boil it some more.......chuck the juice away ...then dig a hole in the back garden and bury it......

I knew the comments on this thread would be gold 😂

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

there is a lot of difference between a nice fat farmed goose and some scrawny long distance raceing goose...that tastes vaguely of a fishy foreshore diet..mixed in with a bit of mud and excremental human outflow......

chalk and cheese

31 minutes ago, ditchman said:

there is a lot of difference between a nice fat farmed goose and some scrawny long distance raceing goose...that tastes vaguely of a fishy foreshore diet..mixed in with a bit of mud and excremental human outflow......

chalk and cheese

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍 "racing goose" 😁😁😁

6 hours ago, Manish said:

So the unbelievable happened last weekend. I made contact with a pink!!!!!! I have been thinking about having it roasted for xmas eve or xmas day but having never cooked one was hoping of some tips for you chaps with more experience. 

Im considering wrapping in streaky bacon (everything is better with bacon) and roasting for 10mins at 200fan. Does that seem about right?

Don't do it. Try it on another less important occasion. 

I once shot one and saved it for a special occasion and it was inedible. 

5 hours ago, Manish said:

First congratulations on your first Pink 👏 Wild goose is totally different to domestic Goose and definitely not full of fat . Bacon over breast fill cavity with stuffing of choice ( chestnut is my favourite ) cook breast down low and slow as you would a Turkey . Cooked right a superb meal unfortunately can be tuff if not cooked right. Definitely don't taste of Fish or Mud either. Enjoy hope to hear you bag a few more. 👍

4 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

First congratulations on your first Pink 👏 Wild goose is totally different to domestic Goose and definitely not full of fat . Bacon over breast fill cavity with stuffing of choice ( chestnut is my favourite ) cook breast down low and slow as you would a Turkey . Cooked right a superb meal unfortunately can be tuff if not cooked right. Definitely don't taste of Fish or Mud either. Enjoy hope to hear you bag a few more. 👍

Got any temps and times mate?? And thanks for the congrats. I was convinced I had missed it but it came down. TBH Im getting bored of turkey at Christmas. I dont get it its gods sons birthday and we celebrate by having a tasteless bird that even I struggle to curry (Im of Indian origin)!! Im tempted to do do t he goose and have it to myself and the others that might be brave enough to eat some meat that didnt come from a farm 

6 minutes ago, Manish said:

Got any temps and times mate?? And thanks for the congrats. I was convinced I had missed it but it came down. TBH Im getting bored of turkey at Christmas. I dont get it its gods sons birthday and we celebrate by having a tasteless bird that even I struggle to curry (Im of Indian origin)!! Im tempted to do do t he goose and have it to myself and the others that might be brave enough to eat some meat that didnt come from a farm 

Unfortunately can't help with temperature or times as my late mother and grandmother done the cooking. Curried goose is excellent as well 👍 admit it's more satisfying when they fold and straight down but you got your first Pink that's what counts hopefully the first of many. Truthfully only last week i had the same experience as yourself thought I'd messed up a very very easy right an left chance but my dogs new better and picked both Pinks behind me while i cursed myself for missing along with the dog's for running in. Just shows inspite of my many years of shooting Geese and experience i messed up on two accounts but disappointment soon turned to joy 

6 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Unfortunately can't help with temperature or times as my late mother and grandmother done the cooking. Curried goose is excellent as well 👍 admit it's more satisfying when they fold and straight down but you got your first Pink that's what counts hopefully the first of many. Truthfully only last week i had the same experience as yourself thought I'd messed up a very very easy right an left chance but my dogs new better and picked both Pinks behind me while i cursed myself for missing along with the dog's for running in. Just shows inspite of my many years of shooting Geese and experience i messed up on two accounts but disappointment soon turned to joy 

Happens to the best of us. I'll give it a go with the stuffing and low n slow

Pinkfeet do not roast easily as they lack the enormous amount of fat found in a domestic goose. They are also a bit small to carve and serve at a major meal.

Broadly, the best cooking method is to dice the meat, and cook it slowly and gently in whatever way you wish. You can do a casserole, finish it off as a pie with flaky pastry crust, make into goulash....etc. It's good healthy wild meat and need not be tough as some would have you believe. We eat quite a lot.

On 04/12/2021 at 15:15, ditchman said:

chalk and cheese

Have to agree. Have not had one yet roasted which tasted good.   NOW  I did hot smoke some wild goose breasts a few years ago having marinaded them and then sliced very thin cold and they where acceptable but not as good as mallard breast treated the same..   Wild goose, ground up with some belly pork and made into sauage with plenty of seasoning might be a good idea.

I can understand the desire to roast it, and everyone should pluck a goose at least once in their life to fully appreciate the amount and layers of feathers on them.

BUT ... there are so many more tasty ways to deal with it than roasting.

I breast mine out and treat the meat like beef ... mince it, cube it into Stews, Stroganoffs, Goulashes etc .. all better in my experience than roast.

If you were to do it, I'd be going 220 for 15 mins to get it going, then dropping down to 160 or so for another hour at least.

Many years ago a mate of mine went north of the border for a weeks holiday shooting geese , the party consisted of six and throughout the week they accounted for around 60 , these were shared out so each person had around 10 , one of the party ran a butchers in Suffolk and processed them at a small charge , my mate kindly gave me one to try and to this day it was one , if not the best Pinkfoot I have ever tasted and I have had several since then .

Why should this be ? , I am not sure as it was roasted like any of the others I have had  , could well be the age of the goose , what it was feeding on , how long it was hung for , where it was hit with the lead shot ,  when in the season it was shot , and so on .

To be honest I will now only shoot geese if I want one or I know someone who want to try one , having access to a lot of duck and game throughout the season I don't eat a goose no more than once or twice a season , Canadas I leave well alone as I can't abide them and I find very little difference in taste from a Greylag to a Pinkfoot , same with most wildfowl , the age make a difference , time of year when shot and where the duck or goose had been feeding , after all that give me a early season Mallard anytime .