How to keep warm in a cold wind.

JDog

20211204_122047.jpg.730257fb224791b8a06e90313c504bcc.jpgThe wind was from the west and cold. My only chance of a shot or two was to have the wind at my back and tempt the pigeons across the field from where they wanted to be.

First up was the tarpaulin tied into the hedge. My hands bear the scars from that. Next was the backing net. These cut out the wind completely. 

My normal thick net went on the hide poles then 300mm of clear view net. 

Barney had a jacket on and we were all set. We were as snug as can be.

Pigeons decoyed ridiculously well for just over an hour when everything stopped. I picked 24.

One thing to come out of this session was that half choke is too much for pigeons decoying into 30m.20211204_115727.jpg.3e08582e1ad8852b55551a77339573c3.jpg20211204_115028.jpg.d9302b82d01c6a252f7f39534b852fe5.jpg

Edited by JDog

That poor little wuffer all out in the cold. Needs a serious cuddle to get hime warm.  I was at Grimsthorp on a small pheasant day and the wind certainly did not go around you.  However it was a super day for being out there and you did well........................................... don't shirk, give that there dog a cuddle from me.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

That poor little wuffer all out in the cold. Needs a serious cuddle to get hime warm.  I was at Grimsthorp on a small pheasant day and the wind certainly did not go around you.  However it was a super day for being out there and you did well........................................... don't shirk, give that there dog a cuddle from me.

I’m at Grimsthrope the 23rd of this month. Looking forward to it.

I've kept the wind off my back on bitter days by using my fishing brolly with the boot liner from my car wrapped against the outside of it.  The ends of the hide net are wrapped around the back and tied up, trapping the boot liner which is pegged down to the ground.  The two rear hide poles support the net, brolly and boot liner using spring clamps/bungees/twine.

@TIGHTCHOKE I was using that exact setup one chilly March morning when you drove past me in your nice warm car tooting the horn!

i use  a camo tarp behind me    and        of these    Electric Vest Heated Jacket Socks Winter Body Warmer USB Thermal Warm Heated Pad | eBay   after chemo cant get warm   all extremities burn  nerv damage        on the foreshore insulated gloves with the finger pad cut our    or peacock   parafin heater in my pockets  they are the dogs danglies        my lab  when really cold has a neoprene vest as hes kenneled outside     half a mars bar each we are both golden        been in scotland goose shooting up against a dry stone wall put hessian bags windward side    everything lands into the wind   put your shelter on the other side 

Edited by Saltings