Looking at a new set up either a R10 or 510

postie

20 minutes ago, postie said:

looking for a new set up to replace my Airarms 400 classic which as been a great set up. I’m mostly doing pest control with it pigeons in sheds. Rats and some squirrels and occasionally rabbits thanks for any advice 

Hello, what you looking at spending and what calibre ?

26 minutes ago, postie said:

looking for a new set up to replace my Airarms 400 classic which as been a great set up. I’m mostly doing pest control with it pigeons in sheds. Rats and some squirrels and occasionally rabbits thanks for any advice 

Given that's your remit, might it be worth looking at something really compact, like the BSA Ultra range or the HW100k or HW110k? You still get the full power tag, but with a bit more manoeuvrability in confined spaces. 

If you're set on those two, I would lean towards the R10, but it's personal choice. I've had both and preferred the R10. I now shoot an HW110, which I prefer to both.

Edited by chrisjpainter

Thanks for that chris I’m not set on either just there the 2 I’ve seen some really good reviews on so I’ll take a look at what you’ve recommended. I’ve had a old airarms 400 for year but a recent burglary had both that and my wh97 stolen. Waiting for insurance to get there act together. Thanks again for advice. 

25 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what you looking at spending and what calibre ?

Looking at a .177 as for price I’ll be budgeting for new as there are some decent combo deals to be had but not rolling out a good secondhand.just looking at advice at the moment.

5 minutes ago, postie said:

Thanks for that chris I’m not set on either just there the 2 I’ve seen some really good reviews on so I’ll take a look at what you’ve recommended. I’ve had a old airarms 400 for year but a recent burglary had both that and my wh97 stolen. Waiting for insurance to get there act together. Thanks again for advice. 

One other thing. A side lever action isn't everyone's cup of tea! unlike your s400, the S510 and weihcrauchs are both side levers. The BSA's are bolt actions. Not an issue for some (me included) but worth noting

2 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

One other thing. A side lever action isn't everyone's cup of tea! unlike your s400, the S510 and weihcrauchs are both side levers. The BSA's are bolt actions. Not an issue for some (me included) but worth noting

I’ve used a side lever before not mine so limited and found they take a bit of getting used to but ok 

I have a .177" BSA Scorpion T10 that I had regulated at Rat Works in Leicestershire (he's only five miles down the road). My model has the black plastic stock and a Hogan Decimeator moderator. Or a Logun one. I can never remember which! I use the heavyweight .177 (about 10 grain) pellets that come in the green tin.

Edited by enfieldspares

Hello, nothing wrong with either rifles , but considering the warranties and BSA repair service at this this time with many new rifles going back and poor customer service, even some RFDs , if shot count not a problem go for the Air Arms, oh and get a cabinet if not already have, combo deals are ok but don't usually put a decent scope on, saying all this you could look for a good deal second hand, 

Not ruled out second hand.there’s an air gun shop down south which I used for insurance quote that do good all in combo deals which you can pick the scope on.as for cabinet they were locked up in a heavy duty locker cabinet with double locks they made short work of that. Will have to get a deep firearms approved one. Thanks for advice 

No not yet was just looking for some advice from some of the pigeon watch members that have had some experience with these rifle’s. But as soon as I get a chance I’ll try and handle several. I have found in the past that a gun may feel great in hand but aren’t always the best performers ,value. Thanks for you reply 

Well I have a Mk2 R10 and can't fault it, looks great, handles great & shoots great. It feels solid, very similar to my rapid.

I've held a 510 but it was unscopped and certainly longer, the reg on the R10 is the weak point and customer service is debatable going off feed back on the forums. 

If you buy new there both probably a grand or more now, I'd try and buy from somewhere that gives a lifetime warranty,  but I wouldn't buy new I'd look at second hand.

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Well I have a Mk2 R10 and can't fault it, looks great, handles great & shoots great. It feels solid, very similar to my rapid.

I've held a 510 but it was unscopped and certainly longer, the reg on the R10 is the weak point and customer service is debatable going off feed back on the forums. 

If you buy new there both probably a grand or more now, I'd try and buy from somewhere that gives a lifetime warranty,  but I wouldn't buy new I'd look at second hand.

Thank you for your help sounds like a second hand maybe a better choice will keep that in mind mate.sounds like getting a rifle tuned is the way forward too

21 hours ago, postie said:

Not ruled out second hand.there’s an air gun shop down south which I used for insurance quote that do good all in combo deals which you can pick the scope on.as for cabinet they were locked up in a heavy duty locker cabinet with double locks they made short work of that. Will have to get a deep firearms approved one. Thanks for advice 

Hello, despite using that shop for the insurance claim I would try and buy local, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

On 05/12/2021 at 22:22, chrisjpainter said:

Given that's your remit, might it be worth looking at something really compact, like the BSA Ultra range or the HW100k or HW110k? You still get the full power tag, but with a bit more manoeuvrability in confined spaces. 

If you're set on those two, I would lean towards the R10, but it's personal choice. I've had both and preferred the R10. I now shoot an HW110, which I prefer to both.

This . Or a BSA Scorpion se. (an Ultra with a longer air tube and barrel) , and so so underrated.

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, despite using that shop for the insurance claim I would try and buy local, 

I agree they just needed a couple of quotes 

the problem there isn’t much choice close to we’re I am. It makes sense to stay local just in case I have issues thanks for advice 

Just to add my two pennith: 

I bought an R10th Super Carbine in .177 just after lockdown 1 - amazing piece of kit! BUT reg broke after 2 months and customer service was AWFUL!! 

I ended up selling it as it turned out I needed a lighter and more durable setup, so I bought an HW110k .117 and it’s awesome!! Head shooting rats off stick at 40m with JSB heavy’s. 

In hindsight, if I had gone for the black soft touch R10 I may not have got rid of it - there’s a black 510 too - so much better for shooting pigeons round barns? 

Any ways, best of luck with the new set up! 

Just my input. I do alot of feral work in warehouses and I personally use a s410 and cannot fault it. That said a friend of mine has the s510 with the side lever and I find it feels more elegant to use than the bolt style on mine. After using it for a bit the bolt type always feels alot more clunky to use after. Other than that I find they both perform and handle the same. That said I have offered to buy his 510 on many occasions as it is a joy to use.