Webley 700

BrowningDJC

Would like an English gun to take out every now again for fun, I have been told a Webley 700 would fit the bill nicely, although prices seem a bit all over. What should I expect to pay for later 2 3/4 inch chambered model in good condition? Ideally with the filed rib. 

Would love a 16 bore version, but current lack of non toxic ammo puts me off slightly, so a 2 3/4 inch 12 seems the sensible option. 

How long is a piece of string ? Webley 700's are mostly decent guns but like all other British made goods they did suffer from production problems and some in the late 70's were not as good as the might have been . Like all guns they had their strengths and weaknesses and like all guns of there type they did need to be maintained .

In general the basic 700 had fairly plain wood , but that had the advantage of strength so you dont see many with broken or replaced stocks but forend woods did occasionally split or come loose , not a big job for someone who knows what they are doing .

Look for one with as much original finish as possible [ colour hardening ,  some did go out with brushed actions but these were mainly for export ] with clean bores as close to proof size as possible , Webley made a lot of guns in 27" as standard and would have left the factory with 1/4- 3/4 or 1/4 & 1/2 choke ,with a 14& 5/8"  straight hand stock   , guns made to specific order could have had any combination of choking and stock dimensions including half and full pistol hands .

Barrel lengths were made in 26"/27"/28" and 30" , possibly 29" to order but very rare ,most had a concave ribs but were also made with raised flat file cut or engine turned ribs , again to order so not at all common . Churchill ribs were fitted to 25" and 26" barrels . They were made in 12, 16, 20 and 28 bore , 12 and 20 the most common 16's and 28's in the minority .

Webley would within reason make any combination  to customer request so there were some odd guns made , a boarder line engraved , 12b 30" full pistol ,beaver tailed forend with a raised file cut rib and blacked action  , comes to mind  .They were made in 3 grades  700 the basic , 702 more engraving , better wood and stocked with panels and points , 701 beaded fences , full cover engraving and much nicer wood . Specific customer orders may have been/had a variation on these so a 700 with 701 wood or 702 engraving were not uncommon for example .

You may  also see numerous Webley made guns bearing the names of other makers in various guises , scroll or scalloped backs , rounded actions and engraving styles the main give away is the top lever where the lever is inlet into the boss .

I agree about price differences but I think that will depend on the dealer as well as the specific gun so shop around .  Good luck in finding the gun of your dreams , its probably out there but finding it may be the problem  .

Edited by Gunman

No sooner had I finally found what I'd spent most of my life looking for, then the damned arthritis struck - hospital last week for jabs in both wrists, but it doesn't seem to be working well enough to hold a gun although much of the pain has gone - and I can't now manage  (can't manage anything at the moment) double triggers/straight hand as a rule. Probably not what you'd want (or the majority for that matter) so a tad cheaper than the norm. Not a sleeper, more like been in a coma - 1964 702 based on Churchill 25 and in pristine condition still 1/2 by Full cased. I paid £1400 and laughed all the way home.

However, if I were you I wouldn't bother, but do what I've just done - except I've had no choice in the matter - and go for an OU which is as per except for the barrels (and in my case, single trigger by necessity). A well fitting English SbS can very soon turn into a 'go to' gun and being iffy about NTS in some 10 years' time patently isn't what you're really after.

Edited by wymberley
Full not 1/4.

On 07/12/2021 at 11:49, wymberley said:

No sooner had I finally found what I'd spent most of my life looking for, then the damned arthritis struck - hospital last week for jabs in both wrists, but it doesn't seem to be working well enough to hold a gun although much of the pain has gone - and I can't now manage  (can't manage anything at the moment) double triggers/straight hand as a rule. Probably not what you'd want (or the majority for that matter) so a tad cheaper than the norm. Not a sleeper, more like been in a coma - 1964 702 based on Churchill 25 and in pristine condition still 1/2 by Full cased. I paid £1400 and laughed all the way home.

However, if I were you I wouldn't bother, but do what I've just done - except I've had no choice in the matter - and go for an OU which is as per except for the barrels (and in my case, single trigger by necessity). A well fitting English SbS can very soon turn into a 'go to' gun and being iffy about NTS in some 10 years' time patently isn't what you're really after.

I has constant pain in my elbow but since I started taking 2 Turmeric tablets a day it has gone completely.

On 07/12/2021 at 11:49, wymberley said:

What barrel length and LOP is it? 👍🏻

I have both a 26" 700 with a Churchill rib and a 30". I love them both. There's never been a better time to buy one as demand for boxlocks has really dropped off. Have a look at the September 2021 Gavin Gardiner auction results. Some amazing bargains there on Webley 700s with near full colour hardening, almost upsetting seeing how little they make now. If you're buying from a dealer then don't be afraid to drive a hard bargain! 

8 minutes ago, theshootist said:

I have both a 26" 700 with a Churchill rib and a 30". I love them both. There's never been a better time to buy one as demand for boxlocks has really dropped off. Have a look at the September 2021 Gavin Gardiner auction results. Some amazing bargains there on Webley 700s with near full colour hardening, almost upsetting seeing how little they make now. If you're buying from a dealer then don't be afraid to drive a hard bargain! 

Hello, a photo of the 26 would be good, I had an Army and Navy XXV type 26inch box lock , 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, a photo of the 26 would be good, I had an Army and Navy XXV type 26inch box lock , 

I don't suppose you have a picture of the army & navy you had? A friend has a 20 gauge army & navy there doesn't seem to be many of them around anymore it was his father's rough gun from many years ago he is just getting into shooting himself it's a lovely little side by side. 

20200213_151445.jpg

23 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

I don't suppose you have a picture of the army & navy you had? A friend has a 20 gauge army & navy there doesn't seem to be many of them around anymore it was his father's rough gun from many years ago he is just getting into shooting himself it's a lovely little side by side. 

20200213_151445.jpg

Hello, thanks, looks a nice example of the webleys , no sorry sold years ago when I went over to the other side, or should I say O/Us 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2021 at 18:14, theshootist said:

What is the Churchill rib if you don’t mind me asking?

I am going to look for something like a W&S 700 with the 30” barrels If possible. 

Wonder what they go for now…

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I am going to look for something like a W&S 700 with the 30” barrels If possible. 

Wonder what they go for now…

Hello, Google,  XXV Churchill rib shotguns, usual short barrel 25/26 inch with hight raised thin ribs , not likely for 30 inch barrel and concave rib, Eley Impax was the go to cartridge with my XXV type Army and Navy , quite a few people I knew back then favoured the shorter high ribbed barrel, 

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

It is a narrow raised rib, usually matt finished on top.  Google (Churchill rib) will bring up many images.  It was (and still is) used on short barrelled guns - the ideas being it draws the eye better than a 'normal' rib on a short gun.  Seldom if ever seen on longer barrels, but most 25" guns (Churchill, AyA XXV, etc.) have it, as do some 26" guns.

Edit - Sorry oldypigeonpopper - posts crossed!

Edited by JohnfromUK