The Ashes

chrisjpainter

5 hours ago, toxo said:

I used to love my cricket. Don't watch football, Rugby only occasionally. My feeling is why enter a competition that you have no chance of winning? I'm so fed up with the disappointments the English selectors have rained down on us that I haven' watched any cricket for the best part of a year. What's worse is there's no light at the end of the tunnel. It won't get any better as long as the old boys network still reigns along with who you know rather than what you can do.

I'd like to see a national program for finding the best hand/eye coordinators from a very early age eventually leading to a kind of league table that takes picking a team completely out of the hands of the selectors. This wouldn't benefit just cricket but would find the best in all ball sports and enable those who show most promise to be brought on at a very early age.

How you you measure hand eye coordination to put in a league table?  Even if you could it needs to be married with mental strength and decision making, impossible to measure.  It would also only sort batsmen not bowlers.  I understand your frustration at the old boys network but that applies to all walks of life.

Edited by Weihrauch17

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

How you you measure hand eye coordination to put in a league table?  Even if you could it needs to be married with mental strength and decision making, impossible to measure.  It would also only sort batsmen not bowlers.  I understand your frustration at the old boys network but that applies to all walks of life.

Look, I'm looking for solutions here not knee jerk reactions. If you can't recognise good hand eye coordination in almost any sport I suggest you look harder. It's not something that can be taught, you either have it or you don't. At the very least put something in place in EVERY school to look out for promising candidates from the age of five but we have some of the best scientific brains in the world and I'm sure they could come up with a program that can measure it. Something that can be built on as time goes by. I'm thinking a very diluted Australian Ninja with balls instead of monkey bars.

1 minute ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Sports in state schools now are virtually none existent.

Which is why we don't have a cricket team.

Think long term. If there was such a scheme in place the recommendations wouldn't come just from schools they could come from anyone who notices talent.

As an aside but kinda to do with the old boys network, does anyone remember the Alf Gover cricket school in Wandsworth, London? Everything inside was fake bamboo and palm trees and everyone in there wore whites and walked around with cups of tea in proper cups and saucers. It was like being in India during the Raj.

7 minutes ago, toxo said:

As an aside but kinda to do with the old boys network, does anyone remember the Alf Gover cricket school in Wandsworth, London? Everything inside was fake bamboo and palm trees and everyone in there wore whites and walked around with cups of tea in proper cups and saucers. It was like being in India during the Raj.

Sorry, is this a real thing or a comedy spoof?! 

Back in Melbourne, England have exerted some pressure! A wonderful spell from Anderson's got us back in this one. Wood's got rid of Labuchagne, Anderson's got Smith.

Anderson's spell: 

O   M   R   W

6    5    1    1

33 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Sorry, is this a real thing or a comedy spoof?!

I did say it was an aside, or are you doubting it's existence?

Well done Anderson.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ramshackle-building-where-coaching-pioneer-alf-gover-shared-his-passion-vpsqdq86b

Edited by toxo

As a yorkshireman ,I am a little biased. However you only have to look at some of the giants of the game the county produced from people with a working class background. Those days have gone but the potential young talent is still there, trouble is ,it sees football as the ultimate prize.

10 hours ago, toxo said:

I did say it was an aside, or are you doubting it's existence?

Well done Anderson.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ramshackle-building-where-coaching-pioneer-alf-gover-shared-his-passion-vpsqdq86b

It was the fake palms the bamboos and tea that did it. I wonder how they helped technique.

Shambolic end to the day. If I was a bowler, I'd be sorely tempted to down tools and go on strike. They're getting nothing from their own batters time and time again. Anderson, Wood and Robinson get us back into the match, only for the batters to immediately dump us back out of it.

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

It was the fake palms the bamboos and tea that did it. I wonder how they helped technique.

Shambolic end to the day. If I was a bowler, I'd be sorely tempted to down tools and go on strike. They're getting nothing from their own batters time and time again. Anderson, Wood and Robinson get us back into the match, only for the batters to immediately dump us back out of it.

All the seats were cane also. I can picture it as if it was yesterday. I guess they had a good social side, not that us schoolboys ever saw it. I'll always remember Fred? One of the teachers put his cup and saucer on the floor in the nets and I smashed it.

As for the cricket - I'm tempted to say What cricket?

What needles me is the same mistakes are being made time and time again. It's almost as if none of the selectors wants to win.

15 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Did he say anything interesting?

Not about cricket. Lamby was saying they're not getting enough test practice, Farage asked if Root should be captain, lot's of stress on him.

The most interesting point was the booster is now down to only 37% and we need a FOURTH jab. JAB??? Apparently Israel is already giving a fourth jab. Given the amount of profit in these vaccines I'm beginning to get very skeptical indeed.

I know it's supposed to be Test Cricket but I'd rather see them throwing the bat at everything T20 style and go down fighting rather than than prodding. The law of averages says they'll nick one and they've nothing to show for it.

In fact I rather think that if we swap the whole T20 team for this lot we'd have better results.

I think we should promote the tail. Send in Anderson, Broad, Leach, Wood etc. in first, just to do what they can. If we're 30-4 so be it, what have we really changed?! But the ball will be older the bowlers a little tireder and we'd have a full quota of supposedly competent batters to make hay. 

Then with every wicket falling in the first session we'd be thinking, 'well this is expected, we've got the cavalry coming soon' rather than 'one more wicket and we'll be done for'. 

Then Buttler comes in at number eleven to slog a few fast runs before the end of the innings.

13 hours ago, TRINITY said:

See Silverwood stepping down from head coach for ten days due to close contact with covid......really?

Makes you wonder, because now he will have no involvement whatsoever in 4th test.

It can only be a good thing. Although I guess the batting coaching team is unaffected, so how much difference will it really make? 

I really hope the ECB wake up after this debacle of a tour. Maybe they'll realise how much they've embarrassed their fans.

Roll up, roll up! It's your final dose of harsh reality for 2021. BBC TMS stats man Andy Zaltzman had put together a miserable collection of statistics from this year:

'England's Ashes defeat caps a record-breakingly bad year' - BBC Sport

My favourite has to be 14 ducks in 15 tests by the openers. A world record and enough to open a poultry farm.